PDA

View Full Version : Sask. Ground Squirrel question?

steel_ram
07-09-2007, 03:25 PM
What are the regs regarding a BC resident packing a rifle and blasting varmints on the prairies while on holidays? I don't see anything in the sask. regulations.

dukester
09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
come on down and bring 5000 rnds of .22 ammo. this should last 2-3 days shooting. any town south of Sask Landing.. its crazy around there.. the gophers eat more then cattle.. its hard to visualize untill you see the damage . some ranchers will pay for your ammo and lodging.

BCLongshot
09-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Send Kjohn a message.

Your right they'll kiss you !!!

Gophers by the way

They're wrecking everything.

Grenfell roots and damn proud of it !

Pete
09-03-2007, 05:59 PM
You will be very lucky even to see one now. It is very late in the year for gophers These guys are among the earliest to begin to hibernate for the season. When the nutrional value of their feed is not equal to or greater than the effort it takes to forage they go under ground for the year. you will occasionally see the odd late bloomer but on a whole they are gone for the year.
Pete

dukester
09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
You will be very lucky even to see one now. It is very late in the year for gophers These guys are among the earliest to begin to hibernate for the season. When the nutrional value of their feed is not equal to or greater than the effort it takes to forage they go under ground for the year. you will occasionally see the odd late bloomer but on a whole they are gone for the year.
Pete
Maybe where your at but its 26c today and the dirt dogs are everywhere. .. best shooting is june though..

kjohn
10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Jeez, don't call them "ground squirrels"!! They are GOPHERS!!! I went over to Mankota, SK this summer. I started shooting along a mile stretch of road at around 2 o'clock one afternoon, shot steady until 7, then started again the next morning at 8 and shot steady until 1 that afternoon. Around noon, the farmer that owned some of the land I was shooting on came out to visit. He said he had shot 35,000 rounds himself so far this year, mostly all in the same area where I was. I was using open sights on a 10/22, and my Savage .22/20 ga. as well. I shot approx. 700-800 rounds of .22 and about 30 20 ga. You wouldn't believe the damage until you see it. I had to ask the fellow what the one field was. It was bare dirt with a few weeds growing. He told me it had been seeded to wheat, and that a couple of weeks earlier there weren't even any weeds. The Sask. gov't has just now allowed them to use strychnine (sp?) for one year, so things may be different next year. A friend and I also went to the Ogema area twice as well. Not as many gophers, but days well spent wandering the hills. Very nice country around Ogema, nice rolling hills, nobody to bother you, friendly people. At Mankota, I phoned the hotel to book a room, then went there for lunch when I arrived. The lady who owned the hotel had two brothers whose farms were ruined by gophers. She bought me lunch then drew me a map to their farms. The one brother even drove me out to a field. A couple of things he asked for me to be careful of. He said he didn't think much of anybody drinking while they were shooting. I assured him that there would be no problem there, as I don't drink. He also asked that I be careful about fires. I told him I didn't smoke and that I would be careful about where I parked my car.

dukester
10-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Jeez, don't call them "ground squirrels"!! They are GOPHERS!!! I went over to Mankota, SK this summer. I started shooting along a mile stretch of road at around 2 o'clock one afternoon, shot steady until 7, then started again the next morning at 8 and shot steady until 1 that afternoon. Around noon, the farmer that owned some of the land I was shooting on came out to visit. He said he had shot 35,000 rounds himself so far this year, mostly all in the same area where I was. I was using open sights on a 10/22, and my Savage .22/20 ga. as well. I shot approx. 700-800 rounds of .22 and about 30 20 ga. You wouldn't believe the damage until you see it. I had to ask the fellow what the one field was. It was bare dirt with a few weeds growing. He told me it had been seeded to wheat, and that a couple of weeks earlier there weren't even any weeds. The Sask. gov't has just now allowed them to use strychnine (sp?) for one year, so things may be different next year. A friend and I also went to the Ogema area twice as well. Not as many gophers, but days well spent wandering the hills. Very nice country around Ogema, nice rolling hills, nobody to bother you, friendly people. At Mankota, I phoned the hotel to book a room, then went there for lunch when I arrived. The lady who owned the hotel had two brothers whose farms were ruined by gophers. She bought me lunch then drew me a map to their farms. The one brother even drove me out to a field. A couple of things he asked for me to be careful of. He said he didn't think much of anybody drinking while they were shooting. I assured him that there would be no problem there, as I don't drink. He also asked that I be careful about fires. I told him I didn't smoke and that I would be careful about where I parked my car.
I'LL VOUCH FOR THIS INFO 100% ITS THAT BAD IN PLACES HERE. 2500 ROUNDS FROM YOUR 10/22 IS A GOOD DAY.