PDA

View Full Version : Had to say goodbye

farside
07-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Thursday and Friday were tough days at my house. Our big guy Joey had reach the end of his days. He is the GSP in my avatar. He was in the last throws of liver cancer. And Friday was to be his last day. I knew what to expect but it was still very hard those last two days.

He was diagnosed 1 week ago from this past Friday and only started to show signs of ill health the week before that. My god but they are tough dogs. Looking back there were small signs for about 3 months but not enough to make me concerned as to his health. He still was playing fetch and torturing the cats. Today is the 1st day that I can even think about him with out busting into tears.

He was such a good dog, excellent temperment, always ready for a good time, LOVED being out in the bush, trustworthy in all situations, loved his family, and above all loyal.

I am missing him greatly and will for a long time to come. 12 years cannot be replaced.

houndogger
07-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Sorry for your loss farside...

mtnmax
07-08-2007, 08:10 AM
sorry to hear,,

Gunner
07-08-2007, 09:11 AM
My sympathies are with you Farside,you'll meet your friend again at the Rainbow Bridge. Gunner

bsa30-06
07-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss farside.Always remember the good times you guys shared.

Fireball129
07-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Sorry about the loss,a great companion and friend are tough to replace.

30-06
07-08-2007, 09:51 AM
we just put are 15 year old dog down last tuesday.had mouth cancer.

Jagermeister
07-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I can empathize with you, my wife and I went through that this past March when we had to put our 15+ year old Akita/Collie cross down. It finally culminated in late June when we sprinkled her ashes in her old stomping grounds. Quite a few tears were shed by various family members, not excluding myself.
RIP Tika.

07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
They will not go quietly
the dogs who've shared our lives.
In subtle ways they let us know
Their spirit still survives.
Old habits still make us think
we hear a barking at the door.
Or step back when we drop
A tasty morsel on the floor.
Our feet still go around the place
The food dish used to be.
And, sometimes, coming home at night,
We miss them terribly.
And although time may bring new friends
And a new food dish to fill.
That one place in our hearts
Belongs to them . . .
And always will.

Marc
07-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss Farside, I figure I'll be in the same boat with my mail Lab in the next year or so.(bad hips) Just the thought of it bring my wife and I to tears. Why do we punish ourselves by getting so attached.

model88
07-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Sorry to hear Farside.

Dano
07-08-2007, 11:39 AM
We have many hunting companions over the years but the 4 legged ones give us the best memories and unfortunately, their time with us is far too short.
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Dan

Dominic Cicuto
07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Sorry to hear ......

blaker_99
07-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Sorry to hear of your lost, it is truly heart wrenching. Don't hesitate to get another they are amazing dogs and although Joey will never be replaced, but he can be remembered through a new companion. Take care.

Sasquatch
07-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Sorry for your loss.

As dog lovers, we are destined to mourn several times in our lives. It's the price we pay for all the joy they bring us.

Sounds like he lived a great 12 years.

Spokerider
07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Farside,

Losing a dog is a tough pill to swallow. Knowing that he was well cared for by yourself should help ease the pain a little..........

I have found the the best "medicine" is to not wait and get another dog.

No, another dog does not replace the character that you've just lost, but it does take your mind away from that empty feeling that you're probably feeling.

mrdoog
07-09-2007, 01:49 AM
May your buddy R.I.P.

kutenay
07-09-2007, 04:16 AM
My deepest condolences, I had to shoot Woden, my third purebred Rottweiler, 160 lbs. of muscle and courage last January, for health reasons. I have had dogs since 1954 and I really know what you are feeling, I still miss every one of mine and Woden's death, while humane and necessary, just haunts me and I know it always will.

There is nothing on Earth like the love a good dog has for it's humans, my other Rottweiler, Axel, has myocitis and he is pampered beyond belief as we love him like he is our child....AND, being a typical dog, he takes FULL advantage of this, being rather fond of mooseburgers....and bananas, of all things!

God bless you, I hope your sorrow eases.

Greenstone
07-09-2007, 01:03 PM
You don't know me, I'm new at HuntingBC, but I had to say sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It will get easier.

Gus
07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Thats to bad, very sorry to hear. I know how they easily become one of the family, must tough for you.

greybark
07-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Farside , Sorry to hear about your loss . Serveral years back I laid down a Ch Lab by the name of Mack and with time the memories of him bring a smile to my soul . I wish you well .

Elkhound
07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
really sory to hear about this farside.....they are like our kids.

pitdog
07-09-2007, 03:07 PM
My condolences, it's hard loosing your best friend.

Barracuda
07-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Saddened to hear about your loss , It is difficult to say goodbye to an old friend . Cherish the time you have spent and the memories you have made with him.

Fisher-Dude
07-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Feel good that you provided him a caring, loving home. So many dogs don't have that...you should be happy and proud that you were able to give him a good home.

Buchaneer
07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
My thoughts are with you. A similar thing happened to our 13 yr old dog two months ago. I still come home expecting her to be at the door wanting her belly scratched! The pain of loss can only be replaced with the little memories of the days ahead. Blessings to you and your family.

quadrakid
07-15-2007, 09:26 PM
sorry about your loss, our eight year old dog was hit and killed by a car on friday right in front of my wife. our house just isn,t the same. lot of tears,sure get attatched to them. i,ve buried a few dogs in my time but this one hurts the most.

farside
07-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog Quadra. Very traumatic. Joey got tagged once by a truck, he jumped up once he stopped rolling and barked his fool head off at the truck and headed for the house looking quite ticked off. We were lucky.

Scottish Warrior
10-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Sorry for your loss.

As dog lovers, we are destined to mourn several times in our lives. It's the price we pay for all the joy they bring us.

Sounds like he lived a great 12 years.

As a dog lover this post really hit home for me. I have a 6 year old min pin I love more than life it self; he comes to work with me everyday and sleeps at my feet under the covers much to my wives dismay.

Sorry for your loss Farside……….

BigBanger
10-12-2007, 12:23 AM
i feel your pain
hang in there

newhunterette
10-12-2007, 04:00 AM
all my condolences to you Farside - we have a menagerie of pets here in our home and losing any one of them will devistate us - losing a dog, a companion, a friend, a family member after so many beautiful years will always be painful and sorrowful but the memories you have will be lifelong and special - Hugs to you and yours for your loss from my family

Quadra - the same as above for you and your family also - I am truly sorry for the loss of your wonderful pet also and for the tragedy your wife had to witness :( - my deepest heartfelt sympathies

Ali