PDA

View Full Version : Congratlations to the 2017 BCWF Region 2 executive and board

Foxton Gundogs
12-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Huge congratulations to the 2017 Executive and BOD of the BCWF Region 2. Pres. Chuck Zuckerman, 1st VP, Mark McDonald, 2nd VP Dennis Zentner, Treasure David Oliver, Secretary Jim Helsdon and all the new and returning directors. Here's looking forward to a very productive upcoming year.

sako79
12-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Hopefully they can turn it around

adriaticum
12-04-2016, 05:32 PM
What does this mean?

Rob Chipman
12-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Adriacticum:

I'm not completely sure how to answer your question, but on the surface it means that the Region 2 Board of the BCWF has a new president, Chuck Zuckerman (he was on the BoD in the past), a returning VP (Mark), treasurer (David) and secretary (Jim), and, a new 2nd VP (Dennis, who also has past BoD experience). There were additional directors appointed/elected as well. I say appointed/elected because all of the directors who agreed to have their names stand were agreed upon by the AGM quorum (as in, nobody lost a director vote).

As a lot of people know who have followed some of this stuff, there was some bad blood on the R2 BoD that either arose from or culminated in what I'll call the Ed George affair (I wasn't part of it, I don't know all the inner details, but a lot of us on HBC saw some of the debate/arguments/fall out). That bad blood was evident in a R2BoD meeting I attended earlier this year and it was evident today as well, but hopefully it has been put to rest. It looked to me like one side in the affair clearly won the day, so I'm going to assume that everyone can put that behind them and move on.

I don't want to speak for Chuck Zuckerman except to say that he set out a getting back to basics vision for the coming year that includes outreach to youth and engaging target shooters in Region 2. I hope Chuck is on this forum and can flesh that out a bit - his vision was delivered in a short address to the AGM attendees and I'm not really doing it justice. He had some good stuff to say.

There is also a fair bit of housekeeping that R2 has to get done, but I think that the new BoD will have no problem addressing that. Some of the returning BoD members seem quite knowledgable about some of the real challenges facing Region 2.

The AGM was an eye opener because it brought into sharp focus the challenge we face as BCWF R2 members. Voting is based on club affiliation, which is very clunky and can lead to some political maneuvering. This took up a lot of time and effort and needs to be looked at.

At the same time we had a presentation by Marvin Rosenau on sturgeon. This presentation was very informative. What I got from it (and anyone else who was there please feel free to chime in to either confirm that I'm on the right track or to get me back on track if I'm off) is that after a mid-90s collapse of sturgeon populations we have recovered the population in terms of total numbers. The problem is that we've seen a change in the make up of that population in that the population of younger sturgeon is dropping. What I took from this is that as time goes by we will see the opposite of a baby boom moving through the population. Fewer new sturgeon are surviving and making to to breeding age. The total population may look ok for a while but the time will come when we have another crash.

This seems to be based on (surprise surprise) habitat loss, specifically spawning areas, and that seems to be a result of gravel extraction. There is also a problem with food for sturgeon being taken up by the commercial fishery before it gets to the sturgeon.

There were also some motions put to the R2 AGM regarding bringing action items to the BCWF AGM, including a hunter's bill of rights, a motion to legislate the release of egg bearing prawns and a call for regulation of helicopter based mountain biking (the practice of ferrying mountain bikers into the alpine on a helicopter for approximately $200).

We spent more time in the AGM jockeying for political position and going over recriminations than we did dealing with sturgeon, bills of rights, prawns or regulating wild landscape use by other users. That's something that has to change, and I'm hopeful that it will, but that discrepancy in time and energy allocation is what I'm referring to when I say that the AGM brought the R2 BCWF challenges into sharp focus. We should be focusing on being more effective with conservation and hunter access and spend less time on internal politics. Again, I'm hopeful.

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2016, 06:50 PM
We spent more time in the AGM jockeying for political position and going over recriminations than we did dealing with sturgeon, bills of rights, prawns or regulating wild landscape use by other users.

Time to flush the toilet on that bunch and move forward with people who want to do something for fish and wildlife. Seems that will take longer than it should.

fowl language
12-04-2016, 07:37 PM
toilet was flushed earlier today.

Whonnock Boy
12-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Mr. Chipman has pointed out our shortcomings in precise fashion, yet you are still unable to see it, and lead by example. I've offered my congratulations on another thread because they were due. You "won" today Dale by the slightest of margins, and I consider that a victory by our side considering what we were up against. Don't be goaded by someone like FD. It's unbecoming. Move on, or fuel the fire. It's up to you.

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2016, 08:34 PM

Naw, the butthurt bunch continues to hang around and politicize a non-political organization. Time for you guys to let someone with progressive ideas and no personal agendas take the reins.

You'll never do the right thing, though. You're only happy when you block the way forward.

adriaticum
12-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Thanks Rob!

Mulehahn
12-04-2016, 10:35 PM
Yes, congratulations to the new Board. I hope that it is able to move forward. That being said, it is upsetting that atmosphere was so hostile today. In my opinion most of the positions were filled with excellent candidates; however a few key ones were filled for simply supporting the "winning team," or out of loyalty and not the best qualifications. It was also disheartening to see so many people who have committed decades of their lives to the BCWF walk-out and possibly away. I hope that time allows them perspective and they will return.

I truly wish the new board the best, they have a very tough job. I hope they are up for the challenge.

12-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Naw, the butthurt bunch continues to hang around and politicize a non-political organization. Time for you guys to let someone with progressive ideas and no personal agendas take the reins.

You'll never do the right thing, though. You're only happy when you block the way forward.

To be fair, those with progressive ideas and no personal agendas have to step up to the plate and wrangle up support. How many people showed up the meeting?

Steeleco
12-04-2016, 10:49 PM
"The world is run by those who show up" Democracy seems to have prevailed. Take all your gripes to the next meeting, not here on HBC

Gateholio
12-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing regular report cards of progress made on conservation and habitat issues.

Mulehahn
12-05-2016, 01:18 AM
To be fair, those with progressive ideas and no personal agendas have to step up to the plate and wrangle up support. How many people showed up the meeting?

There was ) 40 voting delegates (the BOD and club representatives) plus a few of guests. In short not enough. With 28 member clubs that means that nearly half did not send anyone. Too bad.

12-05-2016, 08:50 PM
There was ) 40 voting delegates (the BOD and club representatives) plus a few of guests. In short not enough. With 28 member clubs that means that nearly half did not send anyone. Too bad.

That is too bad. Apathy is an unfortunate thing.

Rob Chipman
12-06-2016, 02:29 PM
There's a reason for the apathy.

- Voting is clunky and based on club membership rather than membership in BCWF (direct members have very little say despite being funders);
- the existence of the group (the R2 BoD) is not well known. As a member of a local club as well as a direct member I would never have known about the R2 BoD without HBC. HBC put me in touch with Troy (Whonnock Boy) and he showed me where to stick my nose to get involved. HBC, in other words, got me involved in R2, not R2. How many R2 members don't even know about R2's existence?
-the reputation of the R2 Bod is not perceived to be a a good one by some people who have had passing exposure to it (you've seen plenty of evidence on HBC of R2 BoD dysfunction, and that dysfunction can certainly lead qualified and committed people to decide that the R2 BoD is not the vehicle to accomplish much for wildlife).

I don't say the above to insult or anger current or past members of the BoD, who have volunteered much time and effort to accomplish it's goals. I appreciate those efforts and thank those volunteers for their service.

At the same time, what I've just stated is true and reasonable and I think points to some of the challenges we face.

I'm confident that we will address them effectively, one way or another.

In summary, I'm not sure apathy is the problem given that education and R2 BoD profile raising is the order of the day.

Any Region 2 members of the BCWF on this forum are welcome to contact me directly to discuss any conservation or hunting issues.

fowl language
12-06-2016, 04:51 PM
hi rob, it was nice to see a new face at the r2 agm. and a meeting before that. I invite you to call me and will be happy to discuss what r2 has done in the last 15 years I have been around, I am proud of what we have done and would like the opportunity to explore them with you. we have had enough infighting to last a life time so we are hopeing to get on with it and rebuild all the projects back in form and perhaps start a new one. you can reach me at 604 340 8496

Rob Chipman
12-06-2016, 09:47 PM
I will PM you for background. Thanks!

Foxton Gundogs
12-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Rob I am not a member of Region 2 but I have worked with most if your exec. and many of the BODs on volunteer projects. They are all hard working experienced people with a proven track record for getting things done. I think as a "rookie" you could do no better than to get to know the ins and outs from those who have worked so hard for so many years to make region 2. a big success over the past years. Good for you for taking the initiative learning the ropes from the inside out. Pick the "veterans" brains and listen to what their experience has to say you won't go wrong. Good Luck.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 04:02 PM
lol, never even heard of an R2

oh, nvmd. just region 2 i take it.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Rob I am not a member of Region 2 but I have worked with most if your exec. and many of the BODs on volunteer projects. They are all hard working experienced people with a proven track record for getting things done. I think as a "rookie" you could do no better than to get to know the ins and outs from those who have worked so hard for so many years to make region 2. a big success over the past years. Good for you for taking the initiative learning the ropes from the inside out. Pick the "veterans" brains and listen to what their experience has to say you won't go wrong. Good Luck.

lol, your not serious are ya. reg 2 is where all the issues are