PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi Fishing trip Jetboat Rescue

Rock Doctor
07-04-2007, 11:08 AM
A group of us went up to the Tuchodi Lakes to do a little camping and fishing on July long weekend. One of the boats never made it all the way to the lake on the first day, so a few of us went out on a rescue mission the next morning:lol:. There has been alot of rain up in this part of the country lately, and the river was very high ( have never seen the Tuchodi this high before). Hopefully, I will be able to post up some pics later, but untill then here is a clip of the rescue mission.
If you guys like this clip, I have a couple others that I can post up as well.
Enjoy.
This is the Jetboat Rescue Clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHDcVwKuZ4

Ahhh, what the heck; here's another good one,
This is the run down the Tuchodi, on the way home. I have never run the Tuchodi this fast ever before, what a rush.:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAppleGG778

MB_Boy
07-04-2007, 11:25 AM
RD.....great footage as usual!! ALways puts a smile on my face watching your clips.:biggrin:

At the end of the first clip.....that "camp dog" you have looks like one heck of a bear/hare deterrent!!:wink:

Dirty
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Those are some awesome videos. What kind of boats are you guys running? Any twins? Engine and Pumps?

HD95
07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Tooooo freakin good!!!!Academy awards to Rockdoctor.I guess those ever-changing channels can get ya....:biggrin:

daycort
07-04-2007, 11:42 AM
from the landing at the creek about how long does it take if you are not performing and off the throttle? you know going as slow as you can without coming off step.

BlacktailStalker
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Nice videos. Thanks. Hope to do a sheep hunt up there next august with Trigger. Do you do a drop off/pick up for less than $1500 lol?

Rock Doctor
07-04-2007, 02:30 PM
MB_Boy;
At the end of the first clip.....that "camp dog" you have looks like one heck of a bear/hare deterrent!!:wink:

lol, His bite is not that deadly, but his BARK is huge..... Actually that was not my camp, and I was afraid to bring my dog over there, I thought mine might choke on that thing:twisted:

Dirty;
Those are some awesome videos. What kind of boats are you guys running? Any twins? Engine and Pumps?

The one that was grounded is a twin with 350's and Hamilton Pumps
The one that pulled him off was also a twin with 6.0 liters and Hamilton T-2 Pumps
The bright red one at the end is a twin with 6 cylinders and Berkly Pumps
Mine has a 175hp Sportjet (the white one)
Brad's, at the end of the lineup, at the end of the second vid has a 200hp Sportjet.
All the rest are single 350's
There were several Custom Built boats in the mix, a Wolfmade, a couple ELDE's, a Marathon, and a couple that I'm not sure of.

daycort;
from the landing at the creek about how long does it take if you are not performing and off the throttle? you know going as slow as you can without coming off step.

From the Launch to the mouth of the Tuchodi is roughly 2 hrs, and from the mouth to the lakes is about another 2 hrs running at an average speed of about 35kms/hr. Going as slow as I can, but staying on step on the Tuchodi would be realy slow. The water is so fast in some places that I can be on step and not moving while pointed upstream.

BlacktailStalker;
Nice videos. Thanks. Hope to do a sheep hunt up there next august with Trigger. Do you do a drop off/pick up for less than $1500 lol?

Not legaly:wink:, but I found this nice little rock the last time I was up there, if you buy it from me for say.......$1,500 bucks, I might just take you out for a boat ride:biggrin:.

Glad you guys liked the vids, I had a blast making them.
RD

Hilgy
07-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Way to go Rock just when I had gotten the idea of buying a jet boat out of my head for a while you go and post more vids.:)

Sweet footage as always thanks for posting.

Hilgy

Elkhound
07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
very cool.....I too enjoy your vids. I guess the other guy should have let your daughter drive. Amateur......lol:wink:

browning
07-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Great videos! I love seeing that country, definately gets the blood pumping... keep em coming!!!

steveo32
07-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Looks like you had some fun with my outfitter and his buddy:wink: Awsome clip and if you run into chris tell him he needs a lighter boat:biggrin:

P.s. Dougs boat sure is alot fo fun eh:biggrin:

steve

Wildman
07-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Awesome...I like the background music, the second one was the best! Rock You Like A Hurricane!!!!!!! How fast does that boat go? Do you ever get debris sucked up in your intakes on the river? I see the guys out here in the jet boats stranded all the time with stuff stuck in their intakes. Jet boats have their place.

mark
07-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Best footage yet Doc! Looks like buddy backed off the throttle when he should of gunned it, there was lots of water in that channel for a boat on step!

270WIN
07-04-2007, 07:14 PM
verry cool, and great music choice

BCLongshot
07-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Absolutely Radical !!!!!!!!!!!

steveo32
07-04-2007, 07:42 PM
ahhahahahahha the stuck boat is the outfitter i work for:biggrin: I got tonnes of ribbing to do when i get up there on the 18th :biggrin:

steve

lip_ripper00
07-04-2007, 07:50 PM
great clips, I wish I lived in an area to be able to do that!! More, More:biggrin:

browningboy
07-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Hats off RD! Cool vids but whats with the one glass in the side?? Funny we were watching some jetboat vids at my buddy the rednck and all of them were from Ft St John, they were jumping a beaver dam and I won't even say how they put them on shore, just nuts! but funny as hell.:mrgreen:

Rock Doctor
07-04-2007, 11:17 PM
steveo32;
Looks like you had some fun with my outfitter and his buddy Awsome clip and if you run into chris tell him he needs a lighter boat

I already told him......a few times, while we were pushing that tub across the rocks.:biggrin:
I agree completly, Doug's boat is a sweet ride.

Wildman;
How fast does that boat go? Do you ever get debris sucked up in your intakes on the river?

My boat will do about 60 km/h in dead water, and coming down the Tuchodi there I had it up well over 70 a couple times.:twisted:
Everybody gets debris sucked into the intake sometimes, I had to kick my grate a couple times that trip, and the boat that was following me came all the way down with a stick stabbed onto one of the leading edges of his impellor.

mark;
Best footage yet Doc! Looks like buddy backed off the throttle when he should of gunned it, there was lots of water in that channel for a boat on step!

The water came up at least 5 " over night, there was not that much water the day before:biggrin:, Also, keep in mind that he was heading upstream when this happened

browningboy;
Hats off RD! Cool vids but whats with the one glass in the side??

Well, I guess that's going to turn into a signature type thing, I wear glasses and the cam is strapped to the side of my head, I don't really see a way around it.:???:

WoodOx
07-04-2007, 11:38 PM
very sweet

WoodOx
07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Whats the name of that first song you play the vid of the river between Tuchodi lakes?

Rock Doctor
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
After Midnight, by Eric Clapton

Elkhound
07-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Well, I guess that's going to turn into a signature type thing, I wear glasses and the cam is strapped to the side of my head, I don't really see a way around it.:???:

Contact lenses......call me....we will talk.:wink: Or wrap around prescription glasses

Hunter Cole
07-05-2007, 05:45 PM
pretty crazy looks likes fun i fight give it a try some day:)

browningboy
07-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Damn watched the video again, time to move up north, the hell with it and its all your fault!:mrgreen:

Rock Doctor
07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I have an old set of bunk beds out in the shop, if you need a temporary place to stay when you get here:mrgreen:

interceptor
07-11-2007, 12:02 AM
HOLY CRAP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Man I am doing that when I come back over.....................

That was awesome, thanks for posting.

Cheers Noel

Brambles
07-11-2007, 03:44 AM
Nice video's , never been on a jet boat before, looks like fun, but man!!! those big twins must really suck the fuel? What is a good engine/pump combo thats a good compromise between fuel economy and cargo capacity and price?

Looks like a good time, thanks for sharing.

Rock Doctor
07-15-2007, 06:15 PM
What is a good engine/pump combo thats a good compromise between fuel economy and cargo capacity and price?

20 ft boat, 350 Merc, and a Berkley Pump.
Depending on whose lies you listen to, you should be able to push well over a Tonne up on step, and Burn somewhere between 10 and 17 gph (depending on load and river conditions)
Prices vary so much, depending on Manufacturer and options, but a very rough ballpark figure would be 40-45 Grand.

Hilgy
07-15-2007, 07:09 PM
hey Rock,

Just wondering what your thoughts on used boats are. Is it to big a risk with what river boats are put through or can a guy save some cash and find a good used one.

What should I be looking at as far as wear and tear on a used jet.

Hilgy

Rock Doctor
07-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Just wondering what your thoughts on used boats are. Is it to big a risk with what river boats are put through or can a guy save some cash and find a good used one.

What should I be looking at as far as wear and tear on a used jet.

Hilgy
Nothing wrong with a used boat, look it over carefully (if the boat is at the owners house wander past his truck and look at/in it, if his truck is a mess that will tell you about how he treats his equipment).
Look at the bottom, near the back, to see if there is a hook forming where the transome meets the bottom. Check the transome at the bottom, to see if the transome is starting to buckle up.
Check the intake for repaires or cracks, also check the intake bars for excessive damage.
With a flashlight look into the nozzel at the stator, check for damage.
Lift the floorboards and look for cracked welds on the stringers.
Look for broken bolts on the bottom (If it has UHMW on the bottom)

I would say that most boats that run smaller rivers will have some damage, but that's to be expected.

Used Motors are always a gamble, I won't go there.

Here are a couple pics of a friends Brand New Boat, after a close encounter with a Spruce Tree two days ago:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/DCAM1317.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/DCAM1319.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/DCAM1322.jpg

Hilgy
07-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks Rock,
I'm still trying to do some research to learn a little more about Jets and such before I seriously start looking.

For now I just wait for your vids and try and convice the wife how much fun we could have in one.

Hilgy