PDA

View Full Version : T-minus two months and a week

Crazy_Farmer
07-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Well we decided to set up all our new decoys, which total 7 dozen now, to see how long its gonna take in the morning to set out the spread. Only took a bit under an hour which I was happy with but it was in full daylight and on a lawn but it was good to shake the cobwebs out. Already my brother is thinking about getting another dozen lessers and 2 dozen silhouettes, I guess you can never have enough. Also you can see the 100 acres of corn in the back gorund which is normally off a week before season which always works out beautiful.

Dano
07-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Looks like you've made some serious errors in your spread..... Good thing you posted well before the season!:)
The garage is clearly too much towards the center of the spread, birds can't drift in and will veer away.:):):)
You guys have most everything under control, locating the birds will probably be the biggest hurdle you'll face (and if they are in that field, no biggy, I'm sure).
As was mentioned in your post earlier (during the spring season). You may want to cut down on the sentry birds (too many with necks long and looking alert). I don't hunt fields for geese much but you placed a small flock out in the center of the spread here. I know for ducks we leave this spot wide open so the birds have a flight all the way in (they might land short of those birds). Those "coffin" blinds sure are a lot better than digging pits, as long as you set up backs to the wind and can see the birds coming, it'll be another masacre in the valley! Take pics!
You guys cut corn before the sept. opener? Out by me, it's been later but before the duck season. Geese seldom use the cornfield I hunt (their flight paths are all around but not over our field), we only get a few good duck shoots and then it's not worth going.
Dan

Crazy_Farmer
07-02-2007, 08:29 AM
We are pretty much one of the first farms to cut normally in the valley, we plant pretty early also, but since we sell a few acres they normally dont get taken off till later so its nice to open up another field after we've hunted one for so long. I do agree with the sentries or actives, there is a lot of heads up, we try if we do use them is just at the egdes where they actaully normally are to keep a watchout.

The group in the middle pocket, its supposed to be a small group just landed and walking in, thats why they are heads up, they are entering another groups feeding area and its also supposed to show the geese where to want to land, either around or infront of that small group so they can get to the food faster. Hopefully we'll have a great season, and normally we dont have to worry about the duck numbers, always get plenty enough for sausage. Thanks for the post.

Tanya
07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Excellent!! You have me pumped already and it's how many weeks.....
We have a dairy farm over on the Island, and make similar use of our corn fields. Our son filmed us last year calling in a late pair, them circling and then us dropping them both. Awesome footage. Can't wait for waterfowl season, it's always a ton of action and fun!!

Dano
07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
How about posting the video? Use youtube or some other web host. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the site who would like to see it!
I hunt a corn field on a dairy farm out here in Pitt Meadows, lots of ducks but not many geese....
Dano
P.S. Pictures are always wanted here too. Please post a few!