PDA

View Full Version : Hats for Heads Program!

BCWF
10-17-2016, 11:23 PM
New Hats 4 Heads Program

Provincial authorities are asking hunters to submit heads from deer, elk and moose for testing.

The BCWF has launched a Hats 4 Heads initiative to encourage hunters to turn in their heads and receive a hat as thanks for participating in important wildlife research.

There are a number of fish and game clubs that currently have the hats; all clubs across the province are encouraged to sign up to bring this program to your community.

Currently heads can be exchanged for hats at the following clubs;

· Victoria Fish and Game Protective Association
· Nanaimo Fish and Game Protective Association
· Courtenay Fish and Game Protective Association
· North Peace Rod and Gun Club (Fort St. John)

Wildlife health testing is an important program to ensure that chronic wasting disease, recently found 30 kilometres south of Edmonton, does not spread to the province of B.C.

Wildlife health scientists will use the heads submitted for research to improve understanding of wildlife populations.

For more information about how to submit your head, please contact the B.C. Wildlife Health Program (250) 751-3219 or visit their website:

www.stopchronicwastingdisease.ca

A good sample for scientists is:

· Freshly dead or frozen immediately after death
· Not shot in the head
· Hunter contact and location (MU) information
· One year or older
· Part of neck still attached as they need lymph nodes in the throat

bang flop
10-18-2016, 02:53 AM
Didn't know about the program till I had an animal CI'ed... mentioned I had a deer as well... all over that CWD test sample. Now have a nice hat.
Thanks!

J_T
10-18-2016, 04:54 AM
We've been running that program in the EK for 20 years. We dont get a hat. We get $25 a head. There's enough road kill around my son used to make $150 a day cutting the heads off road kill.

LBM
10-18-2016, 05:27 AM
We've been running that program in the EK for 20 years. We dont get a hat. We get $25 a head. There's enough road kill around my son used to make $150 a day cutting the heads off road kill.

How did he get the permits so fast to take parts of road kills, or were you allowed to pick up road kills back then.

J_T
10-18-2016, 06:51 AM
He didnt pick up the road kill. Just took the heads. Mostly he went to the highways road kill dump sites. Our group had a contract with MOE (still do) to bring them heads.