PDA

View Full Version : Blockade Injuction Filed

BCWF
10-05-2016, 06:59 PM
On October 4, 2016, the Honourable Mr. Justice MacIntosh of the Supreme Court of British Columbia granted the BC Wildlife Federation a court order to remove an illegal blockade restricting public access to public resources in the Skeena Region of the province.

The BC Wildlife Federation submitted evidence to the court that British Columbian resident hunters are being denied access to an area of Crown land including the Klappan Valley and part of Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Provincial Park (“Spatsizi Plateau”) by way of a blockade which has been set up on the Ealue Lake Road immediately east of Highway 37 in northwest British Columbia.

Resident hunters access hunting grounds by road in the west, driving along the Ealue Lake Road from Highway 37 (where the blockade is located) towards the Klappan River which flanks the western boundary of Spatsizi Plateau. The road allows hike-in or horseback access to Spatsizi Plateau. The area is extremely remote and is renowned for its wilderness qualities, restricted access and natural beauty.

The public and resident hunters consider the opportunity to hunt in MU 6-20 and Spatsizi Plateau a rare and unique privilege to visit and experience a special part of British Columbia. Moose hunting is particularly valued because a mature bull moose will provide enough meat to sustain an extended family for an entire year or more.

The BC Wildlife Federation has been working to resolve the situation, but conflict was increasing, and the blockade was not coming down. As a result the BCWF was forced to pursue legal action. As the province’s oldest and largest conservation organization, this action follows our mandate to protect public access to public lands for recreational and outdoor activities and fish and wildlife resources.

The BCWF recognizes significant anxiety and uncertainty on the landscape and will continue to work collaboratively with everyone who is concerned about wildlife management. The BCWF will also continue to advocate for increased funding and capacity for wildlife management in the area.

The BCWF would not have been able to proceed with this legal injunction without the financial support of our Members and Clubs across the Province. We are appealing to you now to please contribute to the Action Fund so that your BCWF Board and Executive can continue to take action on your behalf for the continued right to hunt, fish, trap and enjoy recreational pursuits on public lands.

You can make your tax deductible donation to the BCWF Action Fund here:

https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=298

Or call BCWF at 1-888-881-2293 to make a donation over the phone.

Your gift will go directly toward the BCWF Action Fund.

4 point
10-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Great result!

TheProvider
10-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Excellent!!!!

10-05-2016, 07:20 PM
And this is one of the main reasons our household renewed our membership to the BCWF this week. Hats off to you BCWF, the only organization supporting the Best Interests of BC Resident Hunters.

Theres strength in numbers folks .

Thanks for for all you do for BC fish and wildlife and the residents of BC

CT

Spy
10-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Well done to all involved, as a member I'm impressed and thank the leadership, thanks for showing your teeth :-)

capt hook
10-05-2016, 07:53 PM
congrats everyone...

ryanb
10-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Will the injunction actually result in the removal of the blockade? A court order to remove an illegal blockade seems a bit pointless unless the RCMP are willing to enforce it (doubtful).

Wentrot
10-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Will the injunction actually result in the removal of the blockade? A court order to remove an illegal blockade seems a bit pointless unless the RCMP are willing to enforce it (doubtful).

Bingo.......

Fisher-Dude
10-05-2016, 08:41 PM

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14608707_1307016122650440_6912428321156697305_o.jp g

Ohwildwon
10-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Awesome!!!

f350ps
10-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Reading a court order is a far cry from enforcing it, we'll see who's wagging who! I'm not gonna hold my breath! K

ryanb
10-05-2016, 09:22 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14608707_1307016122650440_6912428321156697305_o.jp g

I like the photo, but what was the outcome?

HarryToolips
10-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Way to go BCWF! ......

russm
10-05-2016, 10:07 PM
According to Facebook they're not planning on going anywhere...

BRvalley
10-06-2016, 09:45 AM
great news, but the fight seems to be just getting serious now....the fb comments are something else...

Dirty
10-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Could the comments be considered uttering threats if they are insinuating causing bodily harm?

358mag
10-06-2016, 11:02 AM
According to Facebook they're not planning on going anywhere...
For those of us that were around when this Protest -blockage - Injuction happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustafsen_Lake_Standoff

That got real ugly real quick, I have no reason to believe the FN's aren't just going to pack there bags and leave real quick.

Good2bCanadian
10-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Great job BCWF!

One rule, one law for all British Columbians!

BigSkogButt
10-06-2016, 11:17 AM
For those of us that were around when this Protest -blockage - Injuction happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustafsen_Lake_Standoff

That got real ugly real quick, I have no reason to believe the FN's aren't just going to pack there bags and leave real quick.

thought that was someone messing around with wiki after I was done reading it. Upon further investigation, wow.

Mishka
10-06-2016, 12:33 PM
I just renewed my membership. - Should have done it earlier, but this just gave me the inspiration to renew. Good work. It's a step.

Bod
10-06-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't normally participate in this form of support but just made a donation to the action fund. Thanks BCWF for standing up to this.

BigfishCanada
10-06-2016, 06:48 PM
BCWF Thank you, Im very happy to see you guys own this, VERY HAPPY WITH YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!

itsy bitsy xj
10-06-2016, 07:26 PM
I just renewed about a month ago. Proud to be a BCWF member

Thanks for what you guys are doing for us

the force
10-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Big thanks to th BCWF! Joined last year and have been telling all my friends to if they aren't already. Them and local F&G clubs are a very strong voice for us resident hunters and fishers in my opinion, which is becoming critically important!

eric
10-10-2016, 08:38 PM
hmmmmmm, might have to become a life member, after this move.
Well done BCWF.

tyyota
10-11-2016, 12:50 PM
I've been meaning to join BCWF for sometime but never got around to it. When I read this news I immediately signed up!

Rob Chipman
10-11-2016, 03:43 PM
"According to Facebook they're not planning on going anywhere..."

Which Facebook page? I'm not finding anything too inflammatory which makes me think I'm looking in the wrong place.

Wild_Dog
10-11-2016, 03:54 PM
"According to Facebook they're not planning on going anywhere..."

Which Facebook page? I'm not finding anything too inflammatory which makes me think I'm looking in the wrong place.

https://www.facebook.com/klabonakeepers/

Rob Chipman
10-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks Wild Dog.

Some good comments there, eh? Wow. Just wow.

Shooter
10-24-2016, 05:48 PM
Is the blockade still up?

Caribou_lou
10-24-2016, 05:58 PM
As far as I know they are still camped at the start of the road. But no stopping hunters. Calling themselves a Game Check station now. I'm not sure they are aware that nearly every animal you can legally harvest on the grade needs to be CI'ed. So they are really wasting their time.

The Tahltans figure their government will be in control of wildlife up in that area next year. I heard a rumour that there have been gates going up on other roads. Willow to be specific. But haven't seen it myself. Should be an interesting winter.

HarryToolips
10-24-2016, 08:05 PM
^^^glad they're at least not stopping Hunter's..

chinooker
10-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Proud to be a bcwf member! $$ on the way

Iron.Bender
10-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Blockades by any one are just wrong on all levels. Good work on the injunction I hope it will be enforced and end thisd sillyness once and for all.

IronNoggin
10-25-2016, 12:39 PM
They tried to garner funding help in the form of a crowd-funding request 17 days ago.
To date, they have raised a grand total of 285 US dollars. :lol:

https://www.generosity.com/community-fundraising/help-klabona-keepers-fight-injunction-for-wildlife

Cheers,
Nog

Rob Chipman
10-25-2016, 08:12 PM
^^^Interesting to note that the "BC Wildlife Federation are falling short of their responsibility to sustainably manage wildlife in this area - denying the Tahltan people their right to practice their culture that has been a part of this land for thousands of years."

I'm glad the Kabloona Keepers understand that a group of volunteer conservationists is responsible for making Tahltan culture possible! (You gotta laugh sometimes or you're gonna cry).

DarekG
02-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Wasn't planning on joining the BCWF but I'm tempted now.

What are other benefits of joining BCWF? Their web page doesn't exactly show the benefits of becoming a member other than funding conservation. (which of course is a benefit in itself.)

wideopenthrottle
02-24-2017, 03:44 PM
already mentioned but...1st) they are doing something illegal..2nd) there is an injunction making it double illegal...3rd) there will be contempt charges (or whatever else you get charged with for violating an injunction) so???? triple illegal...what s next? 4th) violating bail conditions so quadruple illegal?......
as previously mentioned, all this means nothing without enforcement

02-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Wasn't planning on joining the BCWF but I'm tempted now.

What are other benefits of joining BCWF? Their web page doesn't exactly show the benefits of becoming a member other than funding conservation. (which of course is a benefit in itself.)

then you need to look deeper. There's a whole lot more to the BCWF then just conservation.

The BCWF is the only voice for the resident hunters in numbers. The BCWF has done more for fish and wildlife then ANY other organization in this province. Your government certainly isn't looking after your best interests as a resident. At least the BCWF is making an attempt. Without them, we are all alone, as individuals. Get involved if you want any future for your self, your family or for fish and wildlife in the future.

ForealBoreal
02-28-2017, 03:59 PM