PDA

View Full Version : practice birds

LOC
06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Does anyone have a contact for purchasing live pheasants / grouse or other game birds for training purposes? Preferably either in the lowermainland, Merritt, or Princeton.

I've googled but not had any luck.

I want to run my mutt on some flightless birds to get him tracking and working on his points.

Thanks!

Trailmaster
06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
There is a place here on the island that sellls phesants, I think its called hidden valley farms, in merville, might be a bit pricey.

Mr. Dean
06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Try using pigeons w/ clipped wings. Squab farm is just a call away.

LOC
06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
didn't think of pigeons... do you trap them yourself or purchase?

Mr. Dean
06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
When I was a kid of 12, we used to climb up to their roosts (barn) and catch them with a fishing net. I have NO IDEA if this would fly in today's world.

I know there are commercial meat farms in the valley here. Can't recall any names though. If you can track on down, there would be a good chance of picking up culls/injured/deformed birds for cheap.

What about chickens?

Dirty
06-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Go to your local mail order chicken supplier (most are where animal feed is sold). They have catalogues to pick eating and egg laying chickens from. In these catalogues you can order Pheasant chicks. My grandparents neighbour used to raise them and release them.

Sasquatch
06-26-2007, 09:50 PM
I trap pigeons here in Richmond with a salmon net and some seed. Just find a flock and spread some seed around. When they gather at your feet and are busy feeding, throw the net over them.

Trapping the birds is the easy part- dealing with people who think pigeons are on the endangered list and should be left alone, is another. I've had people walking by threaten to call the police when they see me collect the birds with a net.

I don't clip the wings. I use manual bird launchers and plant the launchers for the dog to find. When he points one, I walk over and launch the bird. If you want to "recycle" the bird, tie a 12" string with a small piece of carboard to its leg. They won't go far with that attached.

It all sounds pretty simple, but when I do it, something usually manages to go sideways. First time I tried it, I lost 3 birds one by one, between the net and the launchers. Still lots of fun, if you can keep your sense of humour.

boxhitch
06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
I've had people walking by threaten to call the police when they see me collect the birds with a net.

So what do you do ?? Just show them your permit ? Or is this on private land ?

bruin
06-26-2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/hatchcouv/list-westoueste.shtml

This is a list of some of the hatcheries in bc. I got mine from Thiessen Game Birds in Abbotsford for $5/bird, most others are $6.

LOC
06-27-2007, 08:29 AM
thanks for the link bruin - I like the idea of pigeons, that way I can just release them once I'm finished and don't need to worry about keeping them.

I'll try and trap some this weekend and see were it goes from there :)

Hagen
06-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey Lee, why dont you give Terry a ring, you know he knows his stuff

Poguebilt
06-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I can see it now...

"But officer Mitchell the guys on HBC said It would be a great idea to bait and net pigions"

"I just want my dog to chew them up for a bit till I can give him a cookie for being good.... THEN I was going to release them! Honest"

LOL....

Wildman
06-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I believe there is a place in Black Creek, here on Vancouver Island, called Stonecroft Farms. Owned by Glen Beaton. I'm not sure if he has phesants...he has Wild Turkey's I think.

2165 Kelland Road
Black Creek, British Columbia Canada
V9J1G4
Phone: (250)337-5789
Fax: (250)337-5229

thatskindafunny
06-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I believe there is a place in Black Creek, here on Vancouver Island, called Stonecroft Farms. Owned by Glen Beaton. I'm not sure if he has phesants...he has Wild Turkey's I think.

2165 Kelland Road
Black Creek, British Columbia Canada
V9J1G4
Phone: (250)337-5789
Fax: (250)337-5229
I go there a couple times a year to hunt the birds. You pay a price but it is worth it.The miniumum is 3 pheasants or 6 chuckers a gun. We usually get 12 to 15 chuckers let loose. They are really fast. Took my golden with me last year that had no training and by the end of the day she was a star. It is a club that you join. I'm not a member but go with a friend of mine and always end the day with a big smile. It usually ends with hunter 9 and escapies 6. Once we got 14 out of 15. Pheasants usually hunter 7 escapies 2. All and all it is always a good day.

ruger#1
06-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Loc, this is what i used to do when i worked at the feed mill, Look up into the rafters when its light out, Find out where they are roosting. Come back when it is dark, And you can almost pick them like they were apples. It has to be dark though, So if you know anyone with a farm or works at a feed mill, there is your start, they don't want the birds there either. And know one cares if you take them, The best part is they will be alive.

Wildman
06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I go there a couple times a year to hunt the birds. You pay a price but it is worth it.The miniumum is 3 pheasants or 6 chuckers a gun. We usually get 12 to 15 chuckers let loose. They are really fast. Took my golden with me last year that had no training and by the end of the day she was a star. It is a club that you join. I'm not a member but go with a friend of mine and always end the day with a big smile. It usually ends with hunter 9 and escapies 6. Once we got 14 out of 15. Pheasants usually hunter 7 escapies 2. All and all it is always a good day.

Really! What does that cost?

Mr. Dean
06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi Loc, this is what i used to do when i worked at the feed mill, Look up into the rafters when its light out, Find out where they are roosting. Come back when it is dark, And you can almost pick them like they were apples. It has to be dark though, So if you know anyone with a farm or works at a feed mill, there is your start, they don't want the birds there either. And know one cares if you take them, The best part is they will be alive.

That's how we did it, when I was 12.

ruger#1
06-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Well im 44 and still doing it. Damn things crap all over the place.

thatskindafunny
06-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Really! What does that cost?
As I say I'm not a member. But I believe my friend pays $400-$450 for the year. This gives you 18 pheasants to let go or 36 chuckers. You must put out a minimum of 3 birds a gun. Or 6 chuckers. You can always buy more. We usuaualy tell her to have the birds out by 10 am. Get there 20 minutes before hand, have a coffee get the dogs ready....... then look out. The first hour is non stop action. Around 11:30 we go back to the truck and drop the birds off, have lunch and plan the..... ok. we haven't seen 3 birds and 2 flew over by the creek. We then spend the next 2-3 hours and usually pick up 2 or 3 more birds. If you knew of another hunter that wanted to be a member and the 2 of you went you could go 6 times a year and have a blast. That's only $70 for a day of action packed hunting. And if you have a young fellow with you THEY always remind you. Ok, Dad thats 4 birds for us and 5 for the birds. The eagles are going to eat good tonight. 20 gauge with #6 shot. Springers and now a 1 year old golden is the weapons we use. I could go on for hours here but should stop.
Thatskindafunny when they get away. If you get pissed off might as well not go.

Mr. Dean
06-28-2007, 08:37 AM
I could get into that... Any LM farms that do this? Sounds that It could be the next best thing to an actual hunt.

A canned hunt for domestic birds... Who knew! It could make for an excellent learning experience.

Sitkaspruce
06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Contact the Vancouver Airport. We used to get the captured pigeons from there and have them shipped up here to the Fort. Not sure of the contact name, it has been a few years since we did it. I believe it is still going on as pigeons are a real problem with airplanes:lol:

boxhitch
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Contact the Vancouver Airport.

Last I heard, the 'Raptor Patrol' were helping to keep things in check down there. Unfortunately Falcons are not retrievers, but they are effective.
The number of birds taken off of the airport is actually quite staggering. Its a full time war, with various tools.

Wildman
06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
I just talked to a friend of mine, he said there is a place called Wine Glass Ranch somewhere near Williams Lake? That you are able to get phesants from, and hunt them like at Stonecroft Farms.

Jimbo
06-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Try Campbell's Pheasantry, I think in Abbie. page 39 of the regs.

LOC
06-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks all - I've talked to a few places now, it'll be a matter who has a birds ready when I want them. I'll try a few times with pheasants and then maybe go to trapping the pigeons - pictures and reports will follow once I get going.

rbduck
06-30-2007, 11:06 PM
When I was with the Manitoba Pointing Dog Association, a few of us would go to a few bridges at night time, climb up(we were careful) in the beams and scoop all the pigeons we needed, Did it for years. We just used the biggest fishnet we could find. Look for some abandoned barns(if there are pigeons) or such in your area and after getting the owners permission, get the net, go at night time(after a bit of scouting) and catch all you want. Some guys do this and actually sell the birds for a buck or two a piece. Good luck.

Ron:mrgreen: