PDA

View Full Version : where to get a birch moose call??

bchunter181
09-23-2016, 03:38 PM
i have been searching for just a regular birch moose call forever just for something to carry my call i have searched everywhere wholesale,walmart, and canadian tire. i could only find one at canadian tire and it looked small and hokie. i even got my brother to go check wholesale and cabelas down at the coast and no one has just a basic birch call i dont want a reed one or the other plastic looking ones and the only other one i was told to get from a HBC member was the kc moose call and now thats all sold out in cabelas not to mention 89.99. does anyone know where to get one?

ruger#1
09-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Try Ebay. Do a search on google. I am sure someone in Quebec makes them and sells them. Or make your own.

Ajsawden
09-23-2016, 03:42 PM
I don't want to sound too much like captain obvious... but isn't the great part of a birch bark call is that you can walk up to a birch tree and peel off some bark and make one? Grab a traffic cone off the side of the road from the next contruction zone you walk through, BAM! Instant moose call.

09-23-2016, 04:02 PM
do it with your hands forget that bark!

Rob Chipman
09-23-2016, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure if this is accurate, but based on my survey of Youtube moose callers, out west the majority of guys just use their hands. I started with a Primos call, but now I just use my hands. I was thinking of trying the traffic cone to see if it gets more volume/distance.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-23-2016, 05:06 PM
I just use my mouth but the advantage of a good birch bark call is that it can be used to rake bushes and sounds like a bull raking a bush.

boxhitch
09-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Amplifies the mouth call and amplifies the bush raking too. adds a nice deep tone. hands and especially gloved hands kill a good call sound, but are good for close in work.
I have a few for sale , let me know how many

reloader60
09-23-2016, 06:44 PM
when stuck,I have used a 2 liter plastic milk jug, works great and you can rake the branches with it and it wont have holes in it like my birch bark one.Just cut the bottom off of it and have at it.

09-23-2016, 08:42 PM
We flattened and then rolled up an empty beer case. Worked well.

moosecaller
09-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Have had the same highway safety cone for over 30 years now works great you can still read department of highways on it.

buckshot
09-24-2016, 03:06 AM
We flattened and then rolled up an empty beer case. Worked well.

Ummm, empty beer boxes, is there anything they can't do!

MRP
09-24-2016, 06:45 AM
I've made dozens from birch, from tarpaper, to cork gasket. I have one made from a old rubber boot. It's quieter to carry, birchbark is noise. Black can't see it, birchbark especially when rolled the wrong way, white side out is like neon light in early morning or last light hunting. The last 10 or so years I haven't even packed one I do just as good or better with out it.

Brew
09-24-2016, 07:10 AM
I just use my mouth but the advantage of a good birch bark call is that it can be used to rake bushes and sounds like a bull raking a bush.
Exactly. They sound great on bushes

xcaribooer
09-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Have had the same highway safety cone for over 30 years now works great you can still read department of highways on it.

there is a piece of BC history, I believe they were also called dept of holidays lol

xcaribooer
09-24-2016, 09:42 AM
got my birch call at Canadian tire. But ya cupped hands work well enough.

09-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Ummm, empty beer boxes, is there anything they can't do!

Hey, it was perfect. Some schlub threw it into the bush and we picked it up, used it to call moose and packed it out. Killed two birds with one stone!

knighthunter
09-24-2016, 07:30 PM
Can also be used if near water to imitate the sounds of a cow taking a pee.

1/2 slam
09-24-2016, 11:54 PM
Cabelas has them in Abbotsford.

boblly1
09-25-2016, 07:05 AM
My cousin made me one years ago he lived in PG. We were hunting moose together that year. So he slice around a white birch growing on his property between the knots about 8-10 inches around to allow for overlap and 18 inches long,The bark automatically coiled up then used a leather lace to lace it all together. It actually looked good when he finished As he lived there i left it with him probably should have taken it home with me as he passed away a few short years later i still think of him often. That was in 1980 he actually help me harvest my very first big bull was the best hunting memory of my life.

bchunter181
09-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Cabelas has them in Abbotsford.

my brother went there for me they had nothing no birch ones and were out of the kc ones aswell and one there website they dont even show a birch one.