PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting need a rifle

Ioneth
06-23-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm 27 now 6'2 and 200lb not sure what kind of rifle to buy. Will be going on a deer hunt in a few months with my Father in-law and maybe a moose hunt later in the year.

I have shot .22's before when I was a teen I was in a rifle club and shot single shot target rifles every week. I also owned my own .22 and went rabbit hunting a few times.

I was thinking a 7mm Rem Mag or .30-06 but my father in-law wants me to get a .300 I'm not sure if that is going to be to much rifle for me I'm sure I can handle the recoil but is it wise to get one for my first hunting rifle? I'll be buying my first rifle used so supply will also be a issue if I can't find what I want I'll have to get the closest thing.

pmj
06-23-2007, 12:29 AM
For a new hunter, I would recomend the 30-06. Will do moose & deer. Recoil is ok. It was my starter rifle at 15 and is still my go to gun.

todbartell
06-23-2007, 12:29 AM
buy a 7-08 or 308, and spend some extra $ for good ammo and a good scope. A $600 remington SPS or a Savage is a good setup

kishman
06-23-2007, 05:04 AM
My first rifle was a .30/06 and I got to say it worked well for me. Cheap easy to find ammo made it easy (and fun) to get out and practice lots before the season opened. My .02...

kishman

06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Welcome to the site!!

Your question could bring as many responses as there are people who respond :) My two cents.........either will work, and either will do the job on any north american game. That being said, l own a few bigger caliber rifles and over the years find myself reaching for smaller caliber rigs (rather then bigger bores)......which are totally capable of doing the same job if l do my part.
All comes down to what your comfortable with, plus the same caliber in different style rifles will feel and handle differently. Join a range and ask....most guys are more then willing to give advice about their toys and some may even let you try theirs out.:wink:

BCBear
06-23-2007, 07:57 AM
For a new hunter, I would recomend the 30-06. Will do moose & deer. Recoil is ok. It was my starter rifle at 15 and is still my go to gun.

I agree with PMJ. 30-06 has been around for a long time and has proved its worth. Ammo is everywhere.
Good Luck:-D

Steeleco
06-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Where do yo live? If it's local your welcome to try my 30.06 at my range.
Recoil is a very subjective thing. Some large calibers won't hurt as much as smaller dependant on stock shape, rifle weight ya da ya da!! The rifle has to fit you first, the hole in the end will come later!

30-06
06-23-2007, 09:43 AM
my first rifle ever is still a 308. and i'm 6'2-6'3 and 215 and it dose the job.i don't even notice the recoil.in the next month or so ill be picking up at 7MM Rem Mag.but the 308 will not collect dust in the cabinet.

Mr. Dean
06-23-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm biased...... I learned to shoot on the .300

IMHO if you see yourself owning one in the future, you should just buy it now and get it over with. Having a 300 Winmag AND a 30-06 in the safe is kinda redundant. The felt recoil between the two is little.

I'll match Steeleco's offer w/ my Winchester Mod 70 300 WM. We're from the same 'hood', this could all be sorted out in one trip to the range.

Good luck and welcome to HBC!!!

bsa30-06
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I agree with PMJ. 30-06 has been around for a long time and has proved its worth. Ammo is everywhere.
Good Luck:-D

I agree with PMJ and Direct Hit lots of ammo to choose from and it's easy to find and relatively cheap to buy.Nothing wrong with buying a used rifle there are lots of good ones out there.Best of luck and welcome to HBC i think you'll like it here.

ve7iuq
06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Someone on here said you will get as many choices of what to buy, as there are replys. Basically right. However, I notice a lot of people just recommend the calibre they happen to be using, without looking at your case and what would be good for you. The 30-06 has been mentioned most often and in my opinion this is the best calibre for you. I think there is a good chance you will become a handloader and if you do, the 30-06 is ideal, perfect for reloading. Much better than the 308 and head and shoulders better to reload than any of the belted magnums, as well as brass being very abundant and cheap, if you have to buy it. Add to that the fact that many hunters have taken any specie of North American game with the 30-06. In fact, more NA game may have been taken with the 30-06 than any other calibre. There is my 1½ cents worth.

Mr. Dean
06-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree with PMJ and Direct Hit lots of ammo to choose from and it's easy to find and relatively cheap to buy.Nothing wrong with buying a used rifle there are lots of good ones out there.Best of luck and welcome to HBC i think you'll like it here.

Same can be said for the .300 - Shouldn't be a consideration IMO.

Walksalot
06-26-2007, 05:50 AM
I also think the 30-06 is an excellent caliber. Watch this Remington SPS I think the stock was made by tupperware. My son bought one and just got his rifle back from the gunsmith fitted with a wooden stock purchased at the Kamloops Gun Show for, if I remember correctly, 75 dollars. Also a bigger person might find the length of pull to be on the short side.

Phil
06-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Although I don't own either the 30-06 or the 300win I would chose the 300. If you only ever want to own one gun that will do everything well this would we the one. Lots of amo selection and better down range power of the two. They seem to produce about same amouint of kick IMO based on the ones I've fired. I like the 06 but it sounds like your a big guy and won't have a problem with the 300.

moose hunter
06-26-2007, 10:18 AM
As soon as a guy goes to buy a rifle most people tell him the 30-06, my first was a 30-06 aswell but ive had 7mm and currently a 300 they both kick but get the job done, and its not about the cheepest most affordable calibre out there, it should be whatever the shooter feels comfortable with shooting certain distances etc.

Ioneth
06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm going to the range this weekend with my In lawns (father uncle etc) they all own a good verity of calibers. I'm going to ask them to bring the ones I want to try 7mm rem mag, 30-06, and 300 win mag. We'll see then what I feel comfortable shooting.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I'll let you all know how it goes and what I decided on (if I can decide I might want them all lol)

silvertip
06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
First rifle it would be a 270 or 30 odd 6 both have selective and cheap ammo then you can sell this one after a few seasons and move up the magnum class It is your choice best way to do it find a friend or father in law and shot their rifles and see whats comfortable for you after all the rifles I have shot and used I know love my 270 and my new addition 7x57 Good luck

Forthright
07-20-2007, 02:01 AM
maybe you found a gun already maybe not....it took me a year to finally buy one. as you can see everyone has there own opinion. for me it came down to walking into the gun store and buying what my initial reaction, and gut told me. and for brand what felt the nicest. i walked out with a tika 7mm Mag stainless synth, and a Bushnell 3200, 3x9 scope. shot 40 rounds, no animals yet, but have not regretted the decision. good luck choosing your gun. a well placed shot will always win over a bad shot with a cannon.

steve

Derek_Erickson
07-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Started with a 270 when i was about eight moved up to a 300 just recently but 270 is just fine aswell, lots of ammo good power, kill anything with the right shot placement

mapguy
07-20-2007, 07:01 AM
from a 270 to a 338 win mag all is good

newhunterette
07-20-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm 27 now 6'2 and 200lb not sure what kind of rifle to buy. Will be going on a deer hunt in a few months with my Father in-law and maybe a moose hunt later in the year.

I have shot .22's before when I was a teen I was in a rifle club and shot single shot target rifles every week. I also owned my own .22 and went rabbit hunting a few times.

I was thinking a 7mm Rem Mag or .30-06 but my father in-law wants me to get a .300 I'm not sure if that is going to be to much rifle for me I'm sure I can handle the recoil but is it wise to get one for my first hunting rifle? I'll be buying my first rifle used so supply will also be a issue if I can't find what I want I'll have to get the closest thing.

My hubby shoots a 270 and he is about your size and he finds it to be a comfortable rifle to work with - that is the only rifle he has for hunting and he has been quite successful with it taking down some big critters - I also shoot a 270 but it was custom made for my body shape and size so as not to kick my butt when I shoot - my 18 year old daughter loves to shoot her dad's 270 with no problems. It took me almost 2 years before I had my own rifle to feel comfortable with - it is not something to rush into until you know what is comfortable for you but I do not know much about guns just what I have in my gun cabinet works for us in our family. Good luck with your purchase and with your hunt.

Ali

moose hunter
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Your a big guy im 6 ft 190 lbs and i shoot a 300wsm that kicks like a son of a b*tch but i have a good recoil pad, 300win mag does give you power and bullet sellection ,but 7mm is very very flat shooting, i had a 30-06 for my first gun though and i sold it and ended up getting another 30-06 about half a year later so maybe thats just the way to go, good luck finding a rifle.

FlyingHigh
07-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Just picked up my first rifle. I have yet to fire it, but it is apparently one of the best out there. Or so I was told be numerous friends and other knowledgeable people. It's Remington 700 SPS DM in 7mm Rem Mag. Looks and feels great. I'll have to post a range report after I fire her. I'd check it out if I were you.