PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Zeman on grizzly talk on CBC Aug 17th 2016

Xenomorph
08-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Posting this here for you guys, listened to it all.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/programs/bcalmanac/aug-17-2016-strokes-grizzly-bear-hunting-1.3725436

We need more than ever to be a coherent and cohesive group or our hunts will become a thing of the past.

Amphibious
08-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Listening to the old bat from VI was painful.

Piperdown
08-18-2016, 12:28 PM
Well done by Jesse, as for some of the other comments, it shouldn't be managed by science..say what, how the hell else are you supposed to manage game populations, definitely not by the heart. Also white grizzly bears, hhmm lets see white mule deer, white black bears, white moose, white mice the list goes on and on, pull you head out of your ass, a genetic mutation, oh no that could only be proven through science, good job Jesse !

Seeker
08-18-2016, 01:42 PM
These guys drive me nuts! Thanks for standing up for us Jesse. This is going to be a tough battle to win, way too many non hunters that do not share our views. I am a firm believer that both activities (hunting and bear tours) can happen. Some designated areas may be lost to tours, but there is no reason, if science backs it, that we cannot have a hunt as well.

Kyle Artelle claims in his argument, that science shows grizzly numbers are concerningly low. The government says "their" science shows all areas where hunts are allowed are stable or increasing and managed very conservatively. So someone is lying or more likely, both groups are a little biased with "their" claims. The good thing is we are both talking science. Could there be a way both sides could sit down and come to an agreement on a population model or scientific method for managing these animals. Have an independent party that specializes in animal population management, present the models, have both sides agree to the logic and then whatever that party concludes, use those conclusions to help guide our future grizzly management. Worst case scenario, a management model both parties agree upon is established even if populations cannot be accurately determined due to demographic or cost prohibitive reasons at the time the model is proposed. If the bear numbers are OK - hunt away, but if they are not then conservation is obvious, but we need a common ground to agree upon. If we have the two quarreling parties doing their own research, this issue will never go away.

Xenomorph
08-18-2016, 02:11 PM
These guys drive me nuts! Thanks for standing up for us Jesse. This is going to be a tough battle to win, way too many non hunters that do not share our views. I am a firm believer that both activities (hunting and bear tours) can happen. Some designated areas may be lost to tours, but there is no reason, if science backs it, that we cannot have a hunt as well.

Kyle Artelle claims in his argument, that science shows grizzly numbers are concerningly low. The government says "their" science shows all areas where hunts are allowed are stable or increasing and managed very conservatively. So someone is lying or more likely, both groups are a little biased with "their" claims. The good thing is we are both talking science. Could there be a way both sides could sit down and come to an agreement on a population model or scientific method for managing these animals. Have an independent party that specializes in animal population management, present the models, have both sides agree to the logic and then whatever that party concludes, use those conclusions to help guide our future grizzly management. Worst case scenario, a management model both parties agree upon is established even if populations cannot be accurately determined due to demographic or cost prohibitive reasons at the time the model is proposed. If the bear numbers are OK - hunt away, but if they are not then conservation is obvious, but we need a common ground to agree upon. If we have the two quarreling parties doing their own research, this issue will never go away.

Precisely that is the point and here's where I see the bias:
"I want to stop all hunt"
"Hunt is barbaric"
"We're in 2016"
"We own and operate turism"...

Need I say more? There are definitely interests at play and ton of money and organized curriculum and agenda being displayed. Let's face it, we live in an information age, we need to do our part to show people who we are.

Look at Alberta's upcoming ban on spear hunting. A hunter to who trained, went out in a bush with no back up weapon now he's demonized by everyone for his barbarism? Are we seriously going to take this willy nilly with no lube?

HarryToolips
08-18-2016, 02:17 PM
^^^^^I definitely like your thinking, but unfortunately, I doubt it could ever go that smoothly..

Seeker
08-18-2016, 03:06 PM
^^^^^I definitely like your thinking, but unfortunately, I doubt it could ever go that smoothly..

I believe you would be right. I have a sneaking suspicion that regardless of outcome, there still would be anti's with a heavy voice.

Xenomorph
08-18-2016, 05:10 PM

What goes smoothly these days? To be honest, I just want to be heard and our message sent accross properly, concise but most of all coherent and cohesive. In plain words, stick together geniuses and stop bickering for stupid shit as the storm is brewing. You heard Jesse, how composed and able to drive to the point each time. We are passionate about what we do, we want to make it last for generations to come, then I think we all have the moral obligation to shoulder the effort to conserve what we got, against all odds to be honest.

I know it is as cliche as they come, however, Teddy's immortal words seem to be more relevant than ever: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick " as his foreign policy was "the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis".

I believe you would be right. I have a sneaking suspicion that regardless of outcome, there still would be anti's with a heavy voice.

With great adversity come long lasting moments in history. Let us make this our own, let us be remembered for who we truly are.

TreeStandMan
08-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Thanks for posting this, Xenomoprh.

Jesse did a fantastic job there, focusing on common ground between hunters, non-hunters, and anti-hunters. And there is a lot of common ground: we are all concerned about habitat and healthy animal populations. We need to focus, as Jesse did, on the ways hunters conserve and promote the health of our native species.

I was also interested in the disagreement between the Ph.D cadidate, Kyle Artelle, and Jesse. Kyle and Jesse certainly represent different sides, as Raincoast and BCWF representatives, but the way their arguments were framed was over the validity of the data they both cited. I'd be really interested to see the data on both sides. If we all had numbers we could agree on, we might be able to get somewhere--all of us want healthy animal populations, and it would be good if we could figure out a way for us to all work together.

bassplayer
08-19-2016, 09:23 AM
I was checking out that Wildlife Defense Leagues page on Facebook just to see what they are spouting off about lately and they put up the link to this radio show too. One guy commented and congratulated Kyle Artelle for crushing Jesse Zeman lol. He never even came close to crushing anything.

Rob Chipman
08-19-2016, 08:59 PM
"If we all had numbers we could agree on, we might be able to get somewhere--all of us want healthy animal populations,"

That would be nice, but Artelle also said that the decision shouldn't be based on science. I'm pretty sure he's not that interested in working together.

kebes
08-19-2016, 09:13 PM
"If we all had numbers we could agree on, we might be able to get somewhere--all of us want healthy animal populations,"

That would be nice, but Artelle also said that the decision shouldn't be based on science. I'm pretty sure he's not that interested in working together.

The truth is that while we need the scientific end to manage wildlife well and show that hunting is sustainable (and even helpful), we also need some people who are apologists for the moralists objections to hunting. If the presuppositions of the, 'hunting is morally wrong' crowd can be cut from under them they would have nothing left to stand on.

Easier said than done, I know.

Seeker
08-19-2016, 11:06 PM
The truth is that while we need the scientific end to manage wildlife well and show that hunting is sustainable (and even helpful), we also need some people who are apologists for the moralists objections to hunting. If the presuppositions of the, 'hunting is morally wrong' crowd can be cut from under them they would have nothing left to stand on.

Easier said than done, I know.

I agree full heartily. We need definitive direction! The caveat is that even if we have good intentions, and put the grizzlies first, will the raincoast ever give us anything back? That is what we are all afraid of. I am certain they won't and therefore am also resistant to work with them, but I also believe if we shove science down a science approach and prove we are right, we and the government would be so much further ahead and we would be able to much easier argue the point against an all out ban on Grizzly hunting.

When is one life more important than another? The Raincoast can buy a guiding territory and simply "give" away a deer's life in order to keep their territory (according to the law), a life which they perceive is less important than that of a bear.....a grizzlies life more important than a deer! So does that mean a white man's life is more important than another's simply because we are more plentiful or deemed more of a "trophy".....BS is all I say! I should not post when I am so.....upset;)
!

biggyun68
09-19-2016, 10:55 AM
I guess better late than never:

Thank-you Jesse for your outstanding representation of our community.

Thank-you also for always keeping on topic and addressing that topic with science and facts:

You are one of the good guys!

Xenomorph
09-26-2016, 10:43 AM
It is amazingly satisfying when you see how some stories tie into the existing data and a coherent and truthful interpretation can be made, argued and evidenced.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/national/west+young+bear+wave+swimming+grizzlies+98colonizi ng+islands/12225776/story.html

Further non-anecdotal evidence that BC Grizzlies are doing well.

Much appreciated again Jesse for all the work you're putting into this. If there's anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. I for one will not be a complacent member of BCWF and shy away from shouldering the burden of effective work.

All the best.