PDA

View Full Version : Monster Rainbow!!!!!!

300WM
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Don't know if any of you saw this yet.

It's the a new world record.

Don't know how to post the pic, but here's the link.....

http://www.opinion250.com/blog/view/6221/1/there+is+a+pot+of+gold+in+this+rainbow+%21%21%21?

Wildman
06-18-2007, 04:14 PM
That is definately a monster.

Ever heard of the Gerrard strain of Rainbow Trout? They have been caught in the 30lb+ range in Kootenay Lake. It is not common but it does happen. Usually they get to 20-25lbs.

Mr. Dean
06-18-2007, 04:20 PM
http://www.opinion250.com/images/bigtrout.jpg

This is no fish tale, this rainbow is just a tad bigger than the kind of trout we catch in our local lakes.

It is the new world record.

This Rainbow Trout was caught by Adam Konrad June 5th-2007 off the shore of Lake Diefenbaker in Saskatchewan.

The fish weighed 43 lbs, 6 ounces, the girth on this fish was 34 inches! setting a new world record.

(At right, Adam poses with his twin brother, and The Big One that did NOT get away!)

The previous World Record was held by Duane Farden of Macrorie, Sask. That Rainbow weighed 30 lbs 7 ounces, beating the previous record of 29lbs, 1 ounce set in 1976.

Lake Diefenbaker was formed by the damming of the South Saskatchewan River.

The International Awards Committee also lists a 42 lb 2 ounce rainbow as a world record caught on Bell Island , Alaska on June 12th 1970. That Rainbow would be deemed a Steelhead, while the new World Record is a fresh water fish.

Mr. Dean
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Yup... BIG fish!

Steeleco
06-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Get the smoker out!!! HS!!! big fish

boxhitch
06-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Almost seems unnatural ? Big Gerrards never look that youthful ? Nice fish.:confused:

mark
06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
That is the fattest pig of a fish ive ever seen! I bet that lake will be crowded for fishing this summer! 8)

Phil
06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Holy smokes.....looks like a bowling ball with fins.....what a catch!!

Chuck
06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Hate to say it but that fish is just too unreal! It has to be one of those hybrids or genetically modified in some way, either that or its gotta be the water. I think its reached the limits to the maximum size that species of fish can get because it seems to show deformities in its body structure, definitely on the way to becoming a swimming monster of some type. I thought that the record rainbow came out of Jewel Lake near Greenwood and was in the 50 pound range? Those Gerrards are beautiful fish, but not the biggest that lake produced. Just my 2 cents worth.

alremkin
06-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Hm, yes nice fish. I've seen a smaller version of this in a lake where the fish ate fresh water shrip. So I wonder if there are shrip in this Saskatchewan lake?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Hate to say it but that fish is just too unreal! It has to be one of those hybrids or genetically modified in some way, either that or its gotta be the water. I think its reached the limits to the maximum size that species of fish can get because it seems to show deformities in its body structure, definitely on the way to becoming a swimming monster of some type. I thought that the record rainbow came out of Jewel Lake near Greenwood and was in the 50 pound range? Those Gerrards are beautiful fish, but not the biggest that lake produced. Just my 2 cents worth.

I recall those raimbows out of Jewel Lk as well. IIRC, were they not netted in a channel or river??Spawners?

SSS

Sasquatch
06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
My inlaws have a place on that lake and I fished it a couple of years ago. When I was there, everyone was talking about the huge "escapees" from the RT fish farm on the lake. I saw a few large rainbows caught that week, about 6 to 8 pounds I'd estimate.
I wonder if this is one of those "escapees."
Sure is a fat fish, wherever it came from.

gameslayer
06-18-2007, 10:53 PM

I agree Jewel lake was supposed to hold the record.
http://www.greenwood-hub.com/JewelLakeResort/History/history1_gallery.htm see the pics in this post.

One report said it was 24 kg

Mr. Dean
06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Lets not forget that when it comes to fishing, there are MANY classes of records. Method, line test...

I saw a report on this posted bow in an outdoors mag last fall. Can't remember which one it was though but they did have a tough time finding a certified scale to weigh it. The fish ended up being exposed for several hours before finding one at a packing plant, iirc.

Chuck
06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
If my information and memory are correct....those Jewel Lake rainbows were used as seed way back then for stocking lakes which now boast big fish. Maybe that Saskatchewan fish is a distant offspring? Who knows what the govt. biologists & scientists have been up to. I don't believe there are any big fish like that in Jewel Lake anymore, I think they somehow disappeared or were all removed for a reason. I'm wondering how they came to be there in the first place as there seems to be nothing special about that lake, maybe mine tailings run-off? Very interesting just the same, maybe UBC or SFU has some paperwork stashed away somewhere on the subject.

mainland hunter
06-19-2007, 10:16 PM
here's a pic of a gerrard rainbow that came in last year, 26 lbs, the thing had 2 9" kokanees in its gut.

Brambles
06-20-2007, 10:00 PM
did they find a licence plate when they gutted that monster?????

That is a freaky fat fish,

scoot
06-20-2007, 11:33 PM

I almost would not believe it, but I was at the local hardware store yesterday and seen the whole saskatchawan newspaper folded inside out to that page with a similar article. Said the one brother brought it in with 6 LB test and took him 20 min to bring it in.

Walksalot
06-21-2007, 05:25 AM

I think the fish from Jewel Lake were netted, there are pictures of the trout in the lodge. My father told of his buddies going over to Jewel Lake and not having the tackle that could hold them.

Elkhound
06-22-2007, 10:33 AM
here's a pic of a gerrard rainbow that came in last year, 26 lbs, the thing had 2 9" kokanees in its gut.

Hey Ray! You have been pretty busy. Can't you afford a better looking model to show off your work?:biggrin:

Nice too see ya posting.

I have Tiffany's bear hide to bring ya for tanning

Bowzone_Mikey
06-22-2007, 05:12 PM
I know a few guys that work in the Fish Hatchery in Calgary .... I know farmed fish get a certain fin clipped ... I thought it was the rear dorsal .... I cant think of the proper name at the moment ... if such is the case ... that is a natural fish !!!!

The Dawg
06-22-2007, 05:51 PM
I know a few guys that work in the Fish Hatchery in Calgary .... I know farmed fish get a certain fin clipped ... I thought it was the rear dorsal .... I cant think of the proper name at the moment ... if such is the case ... that is a natural fish !!!!

I think you are referring to the adipose fin, correct?...that is the one that most hatcheries clip (rear dorsal)

Bowzone_Mikey
06-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I think you are referring to the adipose fin, correct?...that is the one that most hatcheries clip (rear dorsal)

Could be ... like I said I cant think of the proper name right now ...

loki
06-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes it is the adipose fin you're talking about Mikey. That fish has one.

kishman
06-22-2007, 10:12 PM
That fish sure did take a big dump on his leg there:eek::mrgreen:! Lolol, my nieghbors dog craps smaller than that.....(I know this 'cause it's always on my lawn:-|)

BlacktailStalker
06-23-2007, 12:03 AM
LoL they must have baited the hole with canned beans and he gobbled those up first. Then next thing he knew he was on shore and it scared the sh-it right out of him :) Imagine hookin' into that slab on the fly...

kennyg826
07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
SLUG!!! That's all I got to say about that one.

sparkes3
07-20-2007, 10:12 PM
need a big bbq for that one