BCWF
07-22-2016, 10:50 AM
For Immediate Release
2016FLNR0150-001340
July 22, 2016

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

NEWS RELEASE

British Columbia grounds hunting drones

VICTORIA - The Province has strengthened regulations to ensure that hunters do not use flying drones to help them track wildlife, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Steve Thomson announced today.

The Province amended the Wildlife Act hunting regulation, making it illegal for people to operate or possess a drone, or use data obtained by a drone, while on a hunting or trapping expedition. It is also now illegal for a third party to use a drone to help a hunter or trapper.

Before the change, Section 27 of the Wildlife Act made it illegal to use a helicopter to hunt in British Columbia, although the Province contended that drones were a kind of helicopter. The minimum fine for hunting with a helicopter or drone is $2,500 - although a first conviction could cost a hunter $250,000 and up to two years in jail.

The B.C. Wildlife Federation, B.C. Trappers Association and Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. support the change.

Quotes:

Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations -

"We have to make sure that our regulations keep pace with technology. These changes help ensure that the rules are in line with what most hunters already practise."

Jim Glaciar, president, B.C. Wildlife Federation -

"Using drones to help track your prey just isn't part of the hunting culture in British Columbia. Hunters are respectful of wildlife and their habitat and very supportive of the steps government is taking to
prevent hunters from using drones."

Scott Ellis, executive director, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. -

"Hunters come to British Columbia to experience the wild and beautiful backcountry and participate in Fair Chase hunting. Drones undermine the experience people have come to expect when they hunt big game in this province."

Quick Facts:

* Drones are small, remote or GPS-controlled aircraft that can be equipped to send digital images to the operator.

* Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario,and Newfoundland and Labrador have banned hunters from using drones.

Learn More:

To find out more about hunting rules and regulations, visit:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting

Media Contact:

Greig Bethel
Public Affairs Officer
Ministry of Forests, Lands and
Natural Resource Operations
250 356-5261

Connect with the Province of B.C. at: www.gov.bc.ca/connect

Gateholio
07-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Is spotting from a plane and relaying that info to hunters on the ground legal ?

takla1
07-22-2016, 11:26 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for this issue to come to the forefront.When drones first appeared commercially that was the first application I thought of.
In our moose camp north of ft st james we've had helicoptors inform us of the locations of moose closely located to our main camp.In both cases their fly over was interrupted and they cirled back and actuall hovered over moose then buzzed our camp pointing to the spot.No moose was ever shot on these occasions but non the less it was an eye opening experience.

takla

Sportster
07-22-2016, 11:29 AM
That's Great!

Goose
07-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Can you clarify if this new law applies to animal photography (assuming no harassment is taking place and it's in a legal area to fly a recreational drone) during the off season? even if said drone operator hunted the area in the fall?

Brambles
07-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they banned trail cameras too.

TrickleCharger
07-23-2016, 06:53 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing wireless / cellular ones banned. The possibility of real time images and videos from a network of trail cams during hunting season is a little much..

labguy
07-23-2016, 07:00 AM

Agreed. Never understood how trail cams can ethically be considered "fair chase". Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. JMO

BgBlkDg
07-23-2016, 07:00 AM

Agreed, sports/subsistence hunting is denigrated by technocrap such as these cameras.

BgBlkDg
07-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Is spotting from a plane and relaying that info to hunters on the ground legal ?

While hunting on foot, alone, in certain areas of northern BC, I have often seen small planes flying low and slow over the ridges.......some belonged to GOs as I recognized them from local airports.

Then, I have heard a GO telling a young guide that there was a good bull elk in a certain drainage, where he had flown over the previous day. Is this acceptable, NOT to me.

However, bullshit walks, but, MONEY talks..........

Wentrot
07-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Agreed. Never understood how trail cams can ethically be considered "fair chase". Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. JMO

How do trail cameras make anything easier? None of mine have ever got me an animal-shows what's around but I have never killed an animal because of a camera. Not even close.

604Stalker
07-23-2016, 07:28 AM
This thread is about drones ? As preciously mentioned. Schedule C.

sparkymacker
07-23-2016, 08:39 AM

Good point, the average hunter can not afford an airplane but drones are relatively inexpensive. Quick action on affordable technology but conviently turning a blind eye to essentially the same practice used to benifit commercial interests and out of province actors.

Barracuda
07-23-2016, 08:54 AM
How do trail cameras make anything easier? None of mine have ever got me an animal-shows what's around but I have never killed an animal because of a camera. Not even close. in all honesty they do make it easier to gather information that one would not otherwise be able to get. I have them and they are a tool that can assist a person in figuring out game corridors ,animal activity times and scedules and yes they can even let a person know if a certain Bull,Buck,Cat,Wolf,or any other target critter frequents the area .

Fisher-Dude
07-23-2016, 09:36 AM

Why, afraid you'll get caught wanking on the trail?

If trail cameras were giving an unfair advantage to hunters, I'd expect to see an increase in harvest in the last 5 - 10 years as their use proliferated. What we've seen is a decrease in harvest over that time period.

Next.

303savage
07-23-2016, 09:42 AM
I think it's illegal
t is also now illegal for a third party to use a drone to help a hunter or trapper.

Wentrot
07-23-2016, 10:07 AM
in all honesty they do make it easier to gather information that one would not otherwise be able to get. I have them and they are a tool that can assist a person in figuring out game corridors ,animal activity times and scedules and yes they can even let a person know if a certain Bull,Buck,Cat,Wolf,or any other target critter frequents the area .

I must not know what I am doing than because I use a bunch year round and I havn't found this schedule you speak of.

labguy
07-23-2016, 03:52 PM

If trail cameras were giving an unfair advantage to hunters, I'd expect to see an increase in harvest in the last 5 - 10 years as their use proliferated. What we've seen is a decrease in harvest over that time period.

Next.

Thats quite a stretch. Equating the decrease in harvest to the use of trail cams over the past few years?

Fisher-Dude
07-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Thats quite a stretch. Equating the decrease in harvest to the use of trail cams over the past few years?

Want to explain the contrary? Or is it just your opinion, and not based on any correlated data?

TrickleCharger
07-23-2016, 07:26 PM

Next.

Are there not maybe a few bigger factors driving harvest rates than the small portion of guys using trail cameras? How is this fact proof that cameras aren't an unfair advantage or can't be abused?

I don't see much potential for abuse with standard offline cameras but the wireless real time feeding ones could be a real issue. Some states have banned trail camera use during hunting season for this reason..

Gateholio
07-23-2016, 08:10 PM
My opinion on trail cameras ( even wireless ones) is that it's one of those things where a true problem doesn't exist from a conservation standpoint. Although that hasn't prevented some jurisdictions from enacting legislation to prevent a non existent problem (like how crossbows aren't allowed in some archery seasons or the .270 maximum caliber rule in part of Ontario and many other examples I'm sure)

Are so many animals being killed by hunters using trail cameras that a conservation issue is arising due to the camera use? I doubt it very much.

Dannybuoy
07-23-2016, 08:23 PM
My opinion on trail cameras ( even wireless ones) is that it's one of those things where a true problem doesn't exist from a conservation standpoint. Although that hasn't prevented some jurisdictions from enacting legislation to prevent a non existent problem (like how crossbows aren't allowed in some archery seasons or the .270 maximum caliber rule in part of Ontario and many other examples I'm sure)

Are so many animals being killed by hunters using trail cameras that a conservation issue is arising due to the camera use? I doubt it very much.

True Gatehouse but for someone to claim a trailcam doesn't or hasn't helped to harvest a particular animal would be very hard to believe unless that person either doesn't hunt the area where the cams are .

Gateholio
07-23-2016, 08:41 PM
True Gatehouse but for someone to claim a trailcam doesn't or hasn't helped to harvest a particular animal would be very hard to believe unless that person either doesn't hunt the area where the cams are .

Particular animal, yes. Trail cameras may find a trophy buck or bear and the hunter knows to target that area or tries to pattern the animal he has in the pictures. But that's not a conservation concern, and it's still fair chase as it's just one snapshot of an animals movement. Who knows if he zigs or zags after the pic is taken. A drone or aircraft can scour a large area from the air, determine exactly which way an animal is heading or if it's bedded down, and keep an eye on it as the hunter advances.

Other hunters may get jealous that a guy used a camera to help him pattern a trophy buck, but the killing of that buck is not an issue for conservation.

Fisher-Dude
07-23-2016, 09:06 PM
I got a photo of a 2 point bull moose in August. Guess what? He wasn't there on November 1st when the season opened.

I have a couple of cameras because we really enjoy the photos we get. And we get an outing to go set them up or check them, picnic in the bush and the dog gets to sniff around and piss and crap on everything.

Unfair advantage? No, but some shitty hunters might be afraid you're going to shoot something and they aren't.

Some hunters are their own worst enemies.

Spy
07-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Maybe they should be using drones to count and track ungulates and preds sounds like a cheap way to do game counts.

Wentrot
07-24-2016, 05:05 AM
I got a photo of a 2 point bull moose in August. Guess what? He wasn't there on November 1st when the season opened.

I have a couple of cameras because we really enjoy the photos we get. And we get an outing to go set them up or check them, picnic in the bush and the dog gets to sniff around and piss and crap on everything.

Unfair advantage? No, but some shitty hunters might be afraid you're going to shoot something and they aren't.

X2....well said

Barracuda
07-24-2016, 01:17 PM
And people buy Playboy for the articles :lol: You can pattern an animal on a game trail see if they are nocturnal or diurnal you can see if any of the animals even exist in the area being observed . Im confused as to why someone would even try to say that game cams didn't help gather information that can aid in the location of wildlife ,population densities and their habits?? . Why do you think so many people use them ? Why do you think biologist, F&W, and yes even hunters (gasp) use them to assess wildlife populations , movements and habits.

labguy
07-24-2016, 01:52 PM
And people buy Playboy for the articles :lol: You can pattern an animal on a game trail see if they are nocturnal or diurnal you can see if any of the animals even exist in the area being observed . Im confused as to why someone would even try to say that game cams didn't help gather information that can aid in the location of wildlife ,population densities and their habits?? . Why do you think so many people use them ? Why do you think biologist, F&W, and yes even hunters (gasp) use them to assess wildlife populations , movements and habits.

Its calld denial, justification, rationalization and a host of other terms used to condone a certain behavior.

Human nature, such as it is, will always default towards excuses to justify certain actions.

Game cameras and the ethics that are grounded in a standard of "fair chase" are not compatible.......no matter how much people try to justify their use.

Wentrot
07-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Like I said, I have several and have yet to pattern a blacktail. Where they are one day means dick all for the next day. IMPOSSIBLE to pattern...for me at least. I'd love to hear of how you manage to pattern deer with the trail cams though? Or does your proposed ban only apply to certain species?:roll::lol:

takla1
07-24-2016, 07:07 PM
You can pattern Blacktails by using game cams set at different elevations on your perfered mnt.As long as there's doe's present you will get pics of the bucks comeing down as the weather cools and the rut progress's.

takla

Wentrot
07-24-2016, 07:18 PM
You can pattern Blacktails by using game cams set at different elevations on your perfered mnt.As long as there's doe's present you will get pics of the bucks comeing down as the weather cools and the rut progress's.

takla

I tried that, There are too many trails-I'd need to buy a truck load of cameras to cover the entire mountain lol if they used the same few main trails religiously I'd be a happy man.

mpotzold
07-24-2016, 07:34 PM
I thought that it was already written in stone.:mrgreen:
IT’S UNLAWFUL(2016 HUNTING REGS)
(27.) To use a helicopter, including a drone, while on a hunting expedition.

Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun 05.19.2015
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Hunters+using+drones+risk+stiff+fines/11063683/story.html

Personally I have nothing against trail cameras but they should be made inoperable a week before & during the hunting season's duration.
The threads MY CAMERA GOT STOLEN have become AD NAUSEAM.
In practice there is bugger all you can do about it!

Fisher-Dude
07-25-2016, 08:46 AM
People who think you can "pattern" an animal in BC have watched too many private land/high fenced hunts on Wild TV.

Surrey Boy
07-25-2016, 10:15 AM

+1
Guides and Indians must love these threads.

Cody1771
07-25-2016, 06:04 PM
I thought that it was already written in stone.:mrgreen:
IT’S UNLAWFUL(2016 HUNTING REGS)
(27.) To use a helicopter, including a drone, while on a hunting expedition.

Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun 05.19.2015
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Hunters+using+drones+risk+stiff+fines/11063683/story.html

Personally I have nothing against trail cameras but they should be made inoperable a week before & during the hunting season's duration.
The threads MY CAMERA GOT STOLEN have become AD NAUSEAM.
In practice there is bugger all you can do about it!

It's been changed to include data obtained by. Meaning you don't actually have to have the drone on you. Imagery from the drone saved on your phone could constitute illigal usage of drones.

kebes
07-25-2016, 07:31 PM
So what does this do for the guys who use drones to shoot footage for tv shows/etc? I'm guessing that's now illegal as well as itd be pretty hard to prove you're not using it for hunting purposes?

I'm all for the law, the cool pan around shots we won't see on YouTube videos is the only downside :D

Gateholio
07-25-2016, 07:57 PM
I guess the TV show people will have to consult their lawyer and/or the CO service. Maybe they could make post hunt drone footage?

Rob Chipman
07-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Glad drones are banned.

From my experience with trail cams I can't imagine improving my chances of shooting something other than having the cam tell me that there is game in the area. I've seen one mule deer buck a few years in a row on the cam and only caught a glimpse of him in real life, miles away (and up) from where the cam was.

I've got two I check every few/several months. The best thing about them is the predators that I get pics of, especially cats.