PDA

View Full Version : GPS who uses them?

BCHunter
12-26-2004, 08:43 PM
I got one for christmas and thought what a great idea for those far off walks in the middle of no where...Etrex(Garmin)

what type of GPS do you own and how often do you use it?

Steeleco
12-26-2004, 08:52 PM
I have an older Magelan GPS2000XL. Still woks great, mostly I use if for off season scouting, after I look at maps and possibly some aerial photos I'll plug in a waypoint than go far a walk. Don't be like me, play with it, know it, before you get lost:redface::redface:, good thing for a compass.

houndogger
12-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Still on the wish list. So far a compass gets me home but a Gps would be nice one day. ;-)

Kirby
12-26-2004, 09:59 PM
I use a garmin 12xl, I use it lots, often at work, and for hunting, however, NEVER rely on it, batteries die, you get no reception, etc, nothing better than a map, compass, and good land nav skills. When they work, they are great, fast, accurate, and very helpful, when they don't work, you could be in a world of crap. Remebers murphys law, "The more you need something, the less likely it is to work."

Kirby

YukonJack
12-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Garmin Rhino...great little rig, plus the FRS/GMRS radio. Use it all the time. Won't replace my compass completely though, and I don't think they should.

Marc
12-26-2004, 11:14 PM
I bought a cheap one from Canadian tire about 4 years ago and it still does everything I want it to do. If you nock something down and have to go out for help it's nice to take a fix to make things a bit easier to relocate it again. I use it also to mark sign I fine in a given area and then transfer it a map to try and pattern trails and such. I like most still carry a compass with me at all times.

Marc.

BCKID
12-27-2004, 12:14 AM
I have a Garmin Etrex and I love it. As has been said it will not replace you compass but it sure is handy. I way point some land marks, like the end of the road/the lake/the top of a mtn, etc. Your truck on any given day. You always know where you are in relation to the way points. It's good to know how far you are from your truck when it's dark and your dragging a deer out. BCKID

houndogger
12-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Marc,

I always thought that would be the most useful part of a Gps. I think I will have to get one soon. :|

3kills
12-27-2004, 01:00 AM
i just bought my dad one this year so hopefully i can play with it a lil and get use to them before i go out and shell the money out for one for myself...

rrfred
12-27-2004, 01:23 AM
got an etrex , works well, but still know how to use a topo ,map and ol fashioned compass cheers, rrfred

leftcoast
12-27-2004, 07:48 AM
I was playing with my buddies, figuring out where some old roads and rail beds were in relationship to some other stuff but could never find a digitized map to transfer the points and such to on the pooter without paying big bucks. Since then I have found some the govermnet has for sale. I have a nice compass that never seems to get out of the truck.

=keith=

Blacktail
12-28-2004, 11:01 PM
I have a couple units
I started with a Garmin GPS12 and still use it
simple to use and fairly reliable
I just aquired a Garmin Map76 which has tha ability to have charts programmed in so it will be useful on the water as well.

coaster
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
I got a E TREX Vista for Christmas I'm just starting to learn how to use it.

Tank
12-31-2004, 12:06 PM
i got the etrex vista for christmas as well this year....seems to be increadibly handy and user friendly! to get the canadian topo map loaded onto it will cost big bucks though.....garmin website is selling it for $150 american.

bone-collector
12-31-2004, 12:09 PM
hey Tank bring it up one day , buddy has all the software for our search and rescue group , we can load her up for you , just need the etrex patchcord , I have to get one as well for mine

Blacktail
12-31-2004, 02:54 PM
any way of coppying that disc and sending it down??
OF course I would be borrowing the software for personal use.....lol
Don't wanna get in to some stain with the copyright thing ;-)

bone-collector
01-01-2005, 12:12 PM
I dont know if he can or will do that but can ask him when I see him

Blacktail
01-01-2005, 06:38 PM
much appreciated

coaster
01-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Re. the copying, we tried to copy the discs, but it seems to have a blocker in the original.

3kills
01-02-2005, 12:36 PM
u just need to have softer ware with the right codec and stuff to get around all that..and if it asks u if u own the disc u just tell it yes..

coaster
01-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I used the original discs but still no go, same code etc..

3kills
01-03-2005, 02:07 AM
u just need the right program to do it...a program that u would use for copying dvd's would probably work...

fester
01-03-2005, 08:33 AM
I have a couple units
I started with a Garmin GPS12 and still use it
simple to use and fairly reliable
I just aquired a Garmin Map76 which has tha ability to have charts programmed in so it will be useful on the water as well.

the gps 76 is the one i have been looking at we just got a new boat and it would be nice to have along the coast, how is it in the bush?

bone-collector
01-03-2005, 09:10 AM
darcy its called copywrite protected and some discs are pretty much bullet proof for copying these days

Blacktail
01-03-2005, 12:29 PM
the gps 76 is the one i have been looking at we just got a new boat and it would be nice to have along the coast, how is it in the bush?

I haven't used mine much in the bush yet but my son has one as well and he used it when we went for moose in October.
I tried it out and it seemed to work pretty good.
The reason we went with Garmins is that they are pretty much idiot proof and are easy to use.Also I was used to the way my GPS12 operated and the way you navigate and plot are virtually identical with the Map76

3kills
01-03-2005, 01:27 PM
darcy its called copywrite protected and some discs are pretty much bullet proof for copying these days
this is true but if u know what u are doing anything is copyable...:wink:

SteadyGirl
01-03-2005, 05:30 PM
GPS-I gotta get one of those! Anyone whos ever gone hunting with me can attest to that :lol:

BCMinx

fester
01-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I haven't used mine much in the bush yet but my son has one as well and he used it when we went for moose in October.
I tried it out and it seemed to work pretty good.
The reason we went with Garmins is that they are pretty much idiot proof and are easy to use.Also I was used to the way my GPS12 operated and the way you navigate and plot are virtually identical with the Map76
i like idiot proof
thanks for the info

3kills
01-04-2005, 03:59 AM
i just got my dad an explorist 100 and its suppose to be the gps for idiots...very user friendly and a pretty good unit...will see more this summer when i get to play with it...

fester
01-04-2005, 08:14 AM
i just got my dad an explorist 100 and its suppose to be the gps for idiots...very user friendly and a pretty good unit...will see more this summer when i get to play with it...
who makes that one?

3kills
01-04-2005, 04:58 PM
its a magellan...

Walksalot
01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I have a Garmin 12 and love it. It takes all the dead reckoning out of navigating back to the truck. I have since got the OziExplorer program and it compiments the GPS extremely well. I use the GPS for locating direction and user my compass for navigation.