PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Lake Fishing Derby

Sitkaspruce
06-11-2007, 04:39 PM
It is the 10th annual Stuart lake fishing Derby up here in the Fort on June 30-July 02. There is $10,750 in prize money for the three biggest rainbows over 5lbs and lots of draw prizes. Cost is $30/person and a great Canada day is also happening at the same time.

So if you are looking for something to do on the long weekend, come up and see what Stuart and the Fort have to offer.

Mini_Me
06-11-2007, 04:41 PM
My dad and I are going to try to fix up ol' Gramp's boat and hopefully enter. We tried to get in last year but we just moved so we couldn't get the time to, but I hope we can this time. If I can make it out I'll be sure to wear my HBC hat.

-Cody

Chuck
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Sounds impressive! I mean the prizes. If I lived in PG I'd go right now.

Sitkaspruce
06-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I should have read my rules before I posted, the prize money is for the top 5 fish, not three. Still first is a respectable $5000.

I will be out early on Sat, have to cook the pancake breakfast on Sun and back at the derby on Monday.

ianwuzhere
06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
sounds like a good derby. Do you know what the winning trout size was last year? I go on www.myfishfinder.com (http://www.myfishfinder.com) often and sometimes there are recent posts and pix from local lakes such as stuart lake.
Cheers

Kechika
06-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Not to be a party pooper ,but.Be careful..deadly lake.

Mini_Me
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Not to be a party pooper ,but.Be careful..deadly lake.

Yeah no kidding I've heard a lot of horror stories about this lake.

Chuck
06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Ogopogo or what?

Sitkaspruce
06-12-2007, 10:19 PM
It is a large lake so the winds can and usually do come up, especially in the afternoon. I grew up on the ocean and this lake rivals the waves found on a good storm on the coast, minus the swells of course. We lost a great resident of the Fort last year due to wind, se we all need to be careful and wear our PFD's. And you will probably get checked.

The winning fish last year was around 10lbs and was caught by a good friend and co-worker. On a good morning bite I will catch around 10 rainbows up to 4 lbs and about the same in char up to around 12lbs. have caught bigger, just never in the derby:icon_frow. It is a great time and if everyone is careful, a safe one as well

Dirty
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
My grandpa won that derby when he lived up in that neck of the woods. We used to fish on the lake with set lines for Burbot. They make wicked fish and chips. We also caught quite a few Rainbows using downriggers and spoons. They were also pretty big +2lbs and many of them had small kokanee in their stomachs. When picking a lure keep that in mind.

Chuck
06-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Wind for sure, especially the larger and long lakes. Some are predictable due to geography and other characteristics, but it definitely helps to keep an eye out for the dark strip on the surface in the distance. Time to head for shore.

Mini_Me
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Well I had a blast. It was my first derby and I caught a few but they were pretty small. But I had a hold of one that looked good to get weighed in but at the last possible second I lost him. :( Oh well I can't wait to get out again

ve7iuq
07-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I caught this guy in Stuart Lake quite a number of years ago. Just over 10 pounds and caught about 2 miles toward the Fort from the Island with the lodge, that used to be known locally as Smith's Island.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/H4831/?action=view&current=03155.jpg

Sitkaspruce
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
It was a great success this year. Fishing was slow but a few were caught. The winner was 12 pounder and the difference between 2nd and 5th was a third of a pound. In all 21 fish were weighted in over 5lbs.

I caught 10 rainbows between 2-3.5 lbs. Had a couple of pin poppers and line screamers but nobody was home when we reeled the line in. The weather co-operated on sun and monday as well.

Now just wait until mid aug when the big ones start showing up.

TGF
07-10-2007, 06:55 PM
My son got 3rd in this years derby. He was pretty excited being the youngest ever to place.
Here is a pic of his fish and him and I.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/terrygonefishing/a4-16.jpg

He beat out 4th place by 1/2 oz.

Last year I got a 4th place fish but this year was the only year they had 1st to 5th $$$ prizes.
My buddy won it 2 years ago.

Next year...I hope. Sure had to move this year to find the fish.

TGF
07-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Wind for sure, especially the larger and long lakes. Some are predictable due to geography and other characteristics, but it definitely helps to keep an eye out for the dark strip on the surface in the distance. Time to head for shore.

I used to be nervous on Stuart lake with my 16ft Aluminum deep hull. And do like you mentioned. Then one day I took a ride in an inflatable. 3 of us stood on one side and she stayed up. I was impressed with the stability and the load ratings on them. So I sold the aluminum and will never own another. Bought a 13ft Achilles inflatable.
2 years ago my son shot his moose up the north arm of Stuart lake. We were loaded with camping gear on top of his moose coming back to the vehicle launching site. The weather turned and the whitecaps started rolling over the edge of inflatable. We were warm with our floater suits on. I tried bailing but she was filling too fast so I just let her fill and putted along slowly. Many times some of those whitecaps went over our heads but we just kept progressing slowly. Water would come in and just flow out the back over the transom. We made it that evening but what would have taken normally a 1.5 hour run took 4 hours but at least we made it safely. My buddy at launch that lives on the lake said that was the worst storm they had seen in a couple years. Some big cabin cruisers were huddled behind some islands as we worked our way past them.
I'm surprised when I don't see more inflatables on this lake. Its common to see big boats rushing in when the whitecaps start rolling. But I don't want to ruin a day of fishing so I stay and fish. I just put on the rubber boots as the boat is filling up8). And she goes on her yearly voyage out to the ocean every year. Its really hard to sink a cork.