PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting

Stone Sheep Steve
06-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Being new the bowhunting I realize how little I know when things go wrong.

Here's the poop.

All of a sudden my bow is shooting 8-10" low at 20yds. I had the bow in my backpack while riding my motorbike so I first thought I had banged my sight. I tried moving the sight down but soon ran out of room.

One thing that I did different when I waxed my string the last time I put the bow away was that I removed the cables from the slider for easier asccess. Previously I just pulled on the string to access the areas near the slider. I noticed that my Trophy Ridge drop away was not at the max height when at full draw. I never noticed where it was previously. Are fall aways designed to be at the max height when at full draw??
I swapped cable positions in the slider thinking that this may be the problem and sure enough the rest went to the max height when @ full draw. I'm just a little leary to shoot the bow incase I may damage the bow or string.

Here's a pic where the rest would stop the first way I had the cables(I'm just pulling on the return string of the rest to simulate what happenned)
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Bowissues009.jpg

pic of rest at max height when I swapped the cables
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Bowissues010.jpg

Bow when I swapped the cables
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Bowissues012.jpg

Close up of the same
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Bowissues011.jpg

I thought I was careful when I waxed the string to ensure I put the cables back to where they were but maybe I swapped them??

Thx

SSS

Brambles
06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
If you draw your bow back and the strings look like they are moving freely and not chaifing on your cable slide then everything is probably just fine, you probably just mixed up your cables when you put it back together, I'd just draw it back a few times while watching the cables and make sure that they are moving as they should, also do a search on the computer in regards to your brand and model of bow and see if you can find a picture of one to verify the position of the cables on the slide.

Brambles

Jagermeister
06-10-2007, 10:43 PM
I have never taken my string and cables off unless I was changing them. IMO, it is better to back off the limb bolts a few turns to slack the tension a bit. Anyhow, shoot the bow and see if you have comeback to the original sight point.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2007, 04:28 AM
Taking a look on Ebay at other AR 34", it appears that I DID NOT switch the cable positions.:confused:

They pop off the slide very easy. Don't really need to back off any tension.

Maybe the knot on my string return for the rest has slipped back a bit when I pulled it out of my pack?
I guess I should do a quick paper tune.

SSS

Brambles
06-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Yup I looked at the AR website and it looks like all their bows the cables cross below the cable slide, I'd change it back and just re adjust the rest so that it comes all the way up at full draw, you want it to fall as soon as the string moves forward for maximum fletch clearance. So don't make the string too tight, might take 1 person to verify the correct timing and height while the other person draws back.

Now that it has happened to you, it might be a good idea to figure out a way to prevent it from happening again, tie a different knot or burn the end , something to give you a little piece of mind, it would suck for that to happen when your shooting on game.

Not sure about the way you have the Drop away string tied to your cable slide, some rests you can get away with it but some are designed to be sliced into the cable itself causing a downward pull, providing better leverage, I looked at the trophy ridge website and the only picture they show of the rest installed on the bow shows it pulling down and anchored in the cable itself, do you have the installation instructions still?

As far as taking the cables off the slide under full weight, I've seen it done before and hasn't caused any problems, all depends on the type of cable slide and how much tension is on the cables to start with, SSS your cable slide looks like its easy to work with I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2007, 09:17 AM
The drop away string passes through a small hole in the slider and there's a knot tied in it. I believe the string looks the same as before(knot is in the end and there is a little slack). When I pulled bow out of my pack I remember a string hanging up on something but I thought it was the string on my raingear. Maybe it wasn't:confused: and the knot moved a bit?

I'll do a quick paper tune on it this afternoon. If my rest is that far out it should be pretty obvious.

I bought the bow used off EBAY so I don't have any instructions for the rest installation. Had a new bowstring put on a few months ago. Haven't had any issues at all until now.

SSS

Bow Walker
06-11-2007, 04:16 PM
SSS........
Brambles is right - the cables should cross underneath the cable guard bar, but they should definitely NOT touch each other.

Have you checked your peep sight? Most likely you nudged the peep upwards when you were bouncing around on the "trike".

This is a great example of why a person should write all the measurements down somewhere - tiller, peep height, brace height, A2A length, etc. Then you know if anything goes out of true.

Since you have no more room to move your sight, I'd put it back where it was and try moving your peep.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Running a few arrows through paper showed something is waaaay out. Just looking at an arrow knocked and the rest raised you can see it's at least a quarter inch low in the front. Paper showed it's tearing high in the rear end.
If it was the peep that was out the arrow should still fly true. Aimpoint would be the only thing out.

I've shortened the string on the rest so that it raises all the way up. I'll go give it a whirl and see how things fly.

Damn! My wife told me to go chase bears tonight but I'm only interested in using my bow for the rest of the season:(.

SSS

boxhitch
06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
My wife told me to go chase bears tonight

Funny..?....she told me to come on by and visit.......thought you would be there too.......??

Brambles
06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe your string loop got snagged and slid up? Doubtfut since they usually tighten up real well and are difficult to move but something to look at.

Good Luck

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Funny..?....she told me to come on by and visit.......thought you would be there too.......??

Bwahhahahahhahaha!!!
You be nice or I'll make you go chase Beer Belly's bigger cousin Bubba Belly!!:-D

Moved the knot on the drop away string to bring the rest back up to it's max height at full draw. Problem solved. Needed to play with it a little still as the rest is dropping a little too slow but it should be good to go. First group I shot was pretty decent.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Bowissues002.jpg
The knot must have moved when I tried to take the bow out of my pack though the knot seemed pretty tight.

BowWalker- One thing I did notice was that my cables are indeed touching. I inverted the slider and put the cables back in and the problem was solved.......except that the hole for the rest string was then on the wrong side(top). It seems like the slider is for a lefthanded bow:confused:.
I'll check into that further when I can hit a bow shop.

Thanks all!:)

SSS

Bow Walker
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
One way to ensure this doesn't happen again is something like this.......

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/TrophyTakerReleaseRope1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/TrophyTakerReleaseRope.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks BowWalker.
I'm either going to do it that way or go back to my Whisker Bisquit. The guy that set up my bow recommended going back to the WB if I only using my bow for hunting and not 3-D.

SSS

puppychow
06-14-2007, 09:56 AM
If you have a peep sight, check to see if it has moved from the usual position. It does not take much movement to be off 8-10 inches.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
The peep is tied in.
Paper tuning revealed Arrow flight was comprimized. Drop away rest was not coming up to the top. I raised the rest and arrow flight was much better.
A peep that has moved won't result in a flailing arrow. Just a shifted impact point.
I don't know much but I've learned this by hanging out here:).

SSS

Bow Walker
06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
sss,
You're right - if you only hunt with the setup there is nothing at all wrong with a WB. Fact is, it's one of the best ones for strictly hunting purposes.

wetcoasthunter
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Just getting back into the archery thing after about 10 years, and I forgot what a blast it is.

My arrows, though they fly fairly straight, have a bit of a "fish-tail" action to them. What causes this? can I remedy this? Is it that big a problem?

Any info would help, thanks guys.

Derek_Erickson
08-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey Steve, If your going with a whiskerbisket, check this out first nice rests just got one and I love it

http://www.qadinc.com/c-5-.aspx

Bow Walker
08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Just getting back into the archery thing after about 10 years, and I forgot what a blast it is.

My arrows, though they fly fairly straight, have a bit of a "fish-tail" action to them. What causes this? can I remedy this? Is it that big a problem?

Any info would help, thanks guys.
What are you shooting and what are the specs of your setup?

There could be a few things that make the arrows fishtail.

Check for fletching clearance as the arrow leaves the rest. If there is contact this will cause your arrow to be 'kicked' aside and the resulting fishtail could be your arrow trying to correct itself.

Another cause Cord be the rest itself. If it isn't set at 'centershot' this could cause a fishtail effect. Usually the string, the center of your rest prongs, and your sight pins should all be inline when you hold the bow perpendicular. The arrow should follow this line as it extends out from the rest. This straight line is a good starting point for tuning.

The spine of the arrows could also cause some unusual flight characteristics. Underspine will cause the arrow to porpoise or corkscrew as the tries to calm out an excessive amount of 'archer's paradox'.

Over spine can cause your arrow to try swap ends or appear to fly in a nose down attitude. Usually you will hit low of your aim point.