PDA

View Full Version : United Bowhunters BC

Nails
12-25-2004, 12:08 AM
I just wanted to throw this out. I have heard about an organized club United Bowhunters of BC being formed. I know Blacktail has heard of it and is checking this out. I'm very interested if this club is being established, please let me know.

leftcoast
12-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Greybark who posts here sometimes says he is a member.

=keith=

houndogger
12-25-2004, 01:30 PM
From what I have heard they got the name O.K.ed but they have not actually started taking membership yet. I think it will be good. Get alot of bowhunters together in numbers to push for more bowhunting seasons. ;-)

willyqbc
12-25-2004, 02:55 PM
they are organized and established and taking memberships....I have all the relevant info, but there is too much to post here so give me your email addy and i will get the material out to you!

Chris

bochunk2000
12-25-2004, 03:16 PM
pm sent willy.

leftcoast
12-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Ditto

=keith=

houndogger
12-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Yup!!!! ;-)

QnsCowboy
12-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks Chris,

I too would appreciate the info....

Craig

willyqbc
12-26-2004, 11:37 AM
QnsCowboy, I could not get the info mailed to you for some reason?? the email addy I got clicking on your name would not work. perhaps you have another? Or You could try having T-stix, or hounddogger forward it to you.

Let me know
Chris

Marc
12-26-2004, 12:51 PM
hey Chris, try QnsCowboy's email again. I've changed it in his profle. I had a hell of a time trying to send him something about a month ago.;) Should work fine now.

Marc.

willyqbc
12-26-2004, 02:55 PM
That got it Marc! Thanks!

And you guys who i emailed, pass this info on to as many people as you can please. If were going to get recognized as a legitimate voice in helping determine seasons etc, we need as many voices as possible!

Thanks,
Chris

greybark
12-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Hey Gang, When JT comes back from holidays he will post the a release from the organizional meetings and will update all . The United Bowhunters of BC Association is only hours away from being registered . Some signing in of prospective members has taken place at various 3-d shoots and the Rendall Ck Dinner in order to judge the degree of support. I recommend that all bowhunters consider than join this new concept in furthering bowhunting venues in BC.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On--

QnsCowboy
12-27-2004, 12:52 AM
hey Chris, try QnsCowboy's email again. I've changed it in his profle. I had a hell of a time trying to send him something about a month ago.;) Should work fine now.

Marc.

Thanks Marc,

I knew there was another place I forgot to change my email address...

And thank you too Chris....

Craig

J_T
12-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi Gang. Good to see the interest is growing.

The foundation of the UBBC came from within the frustration that many bowhunters live. That the government was not collecting data on bowhunting and therefore could not give consideration to bowhunters as a unique stakeholder.

In March of 2004 a small group of bowhunters met with Minister Barisoff (WLAP) and addressed some of the concerns of the bowhunter. Mr Barisoff indicated that if the bowhunters could unite, the government would give them a unique stakeholder consideration. Thus spawned the United Bowhunters of BC.

One immediate recommendation made, was with respect to the Hunter Questionnaire that we fill out. At no time, are we asked by what method we hunted. This distorts all data that supports wildlife management. This year, you should see questions around weapons choices.

From the meeting with the minister, the group of bowhunters attempted to communicate with other bowhunters around the province. The UBBC does not intend to negatively impact other bowhunting groups. A small group of founding members (not the same as the small group that met with the Minister) was established to set up a constitution, communicate with other bowhunting groups, and develop a registration form, and pursue a society or association name. These founding members, are a cross section of the archery community in BC. By no means complete, but a start.

The name has recieved approval, the constitution is being submitted and a membership drive is underway. Numbers at present are about 700 members. There are 8,000 archery tackle hunters in BC that 'ticked' the box on their hunting license, and probably another 8,000 that didn't. Our efforts will be to ensure everyone is on board. Once the constitution is accepted, an election of officers will take place. Sign up now and ensure your voice is heard. There is no cost to becoming a member. One should assume that ultimately there will be a fee, however there is nothing at present to sign up. I'm not positive, but I think the constitution defines membership eligibility as:
1) being of the age of majority (over 18)
2) being the holder of a hunter number
3) being a hunter in good standing with the law.

The reception to the UBBC has been great. Obviously a need overlooked for years. Bowhunters that feel they have lacked representation, are coming out of the woodwork. I can provide digital or paper membership forms if you want. I guess I'm the keeper of the membership list, so if you want your name on it......

We also have a draft information newsletter being reviewed for circulation in January. At present, the UBBC will exist in the digital world, using email or phone as the only real means of formal communication.

If you have questions, or want information and updates contact me at jimsturner@shaw.ca. (604 476-1671) I know there are other members around the province that some of you may have talked to. We will have to corral the various discussions and people at some point in order to coordinate the vision, guiding principles and primary objectives. Possibly if you have someone that you are getting information from, send me their names so that when we have discussions we can ensure everyone is involved and everyone has an opportunity to be heard.

A final word. Nothing is concrete with the UBBC, defined as a lobby interest group in pursuit of more bowhunting opportunity. So as discussion continues, it is important to recognize the communication lines are open, everything is up for discussion and nothing is concrete.

JT

willyqbc
12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
you have a PM J T!!!

Chris

houndogger
12-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks JT.

leftcoast
12-27-2004, 11:32 AM
JT who are the members of the founding group?

=keith=

Blacktail
12-27-2004, 10:43 PM
thanks for the input JT
Consider me as one that is interested in helping where I can.
Sign me up as a member and tell me what I can do for the group.

J_T
12-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Leftcoast.

Bruce Olson of Rossland took the lead on putting the constitution together. At the same time, we communicated with organizations across BC. I'm not positive who the founding members are, as I have not seen the latest info, but I believe they include:

Bruce Olson (Rossland)
Ted Kennedy (Surrey)
Monty Evin (Cranbrook)
Jim Renn (Merritt)
Kirk Joyal (Courtney)

The attempt was to reflect representation from across the archery spectrum and geographic locations here in BC.

There are many that have picked up the torch and recognizing the importance of this are promoting it in their own regions. I believe that Chris (Willyqbc) has undoubtedly been talking to Sandy Watson in Quesnel. Another individual that committed to spreading the word.

JT

Nails
12-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Sent you a PM JT,sign me up.

Wildwood
10-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Chris, could you please send me the info on the United Bowhunters of B.C.
Thanks, Dan

they are organized and established and taking memberships....I have all the relevant info, but there is too much to post here so give me your email addy and i will get the material out to you!

Chris

Bow Walker
10-11-2005, 02:37 PM
willyqbc......

much interested myself. any chance of an emailed package? PM sent.

I will hold that cold one for you - or maybe enjoy it on your behalf.;-)

Gateholio
10-21-2005, 12:56 PM
What is the UBBC's stand on crossbows during archery seasons?

Onesock
10-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Gatehouse: The UBBC's stand on crossbows. Crossbows are a legal method of bowhunting in BC and the UBBC represent's all bowhunters in BC. The UBBC was formed to lobby for ALL bowhunters.
Kirk
PS Not all members agree with the policy and put their personnal feelings aside.To further bowhunting it was agreed that all bowhunter's should stick together and agreed to back the use if crossbows in archery season's.

Bow Walker
10-22-2005, 03:59 PM
J T,
email and PM sent. Thanks.

J_T
10-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks Bowwalker, sent you a reply.

JT