PDA

View Full Version : How many of you?

Schutzen
12-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Just posted on MatB's thread where he related his story about a nice Buck and a severe knife gash. This got me thinking so........

My question is:- How many of you are carrying survival and or 1st aid gear on you when you are out in the bush hunting or whatever?

Do you have any good tips or stories on this line?

Steeleco
12-23-2004, 03:09 AM
Always. I have enough gear for larger OOPS's (maybe not that large).Everything is vacuum sealed in a bag so it stays clean an dry no matter what. An accident like that could have been fatal, he's one lucky man.

3kills
12-23-2004, 05:05 AM
always i havea back pack thats enough stuff in it to keep my a live for awhile out there..and it usually has a spare shirt in it as well...

huntersdad
12-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Hey
I carry essentials like a compression bandage, triangle bandage, gauze and such.
I was a member of the North Island Search and Rescue so most of my gear is aimed at survival for one to two nights stay in the bush.

QnsCowboy
12-23-2004, 07:37 PM
I think only a couple of Sherpa's climbing Mt. Everest carry more than I seem to pack around......:)

houndogger
12-23-2004, 07:55 PM
It is a very good idea. I have been thinking alot about putting one to gether soon or it will catch up to me.

Marc
12-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Hey Houndogger it's also nice incase one of your dogs gets it from a bear or cougar while out in the woods. A lot of the time it's your pet that gets hurt. I knew of a guy who carried his lab in his arms for over a km because he had a gash on his leg and had to keep pressure applied to the cut with his hand.

Marc.

houndogger
12-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Ya I have been pretty lucky so far. Had one dog get it this fall on a mean bear. She had been gone all day and by the time I found her the cuts were pretty dried up and full of dirt so it was a vet job. She is pretty gritty on bear will take them head on. The day before we treed a bear for leftcoast and the hounds had bayed this bear up a few times and after Keith got the bear home it had k9 punctures all over its front shoulders. A stitching kit is a good idea for dog and man. You ever look at those hog sites n the U.S. them hogs are pretty rough on those dogs!

Seabass
12-24-2004, 12:21 AM
I was a Boy Scout once. Always be prepared. Good moto.

todbartell
12-24-2004, 02:32 AM
i dont carry a thing

Kirby
12-24-2004, 02:24 PM
I work in the bush full time most of the year, and I've seen alot of accidents from little things, I learnt fast, I carry a full on first aid kit(Level 3), and taken lots of first aid courses, and dealt with alot of injuries. I find people who aren't prepaired are people who haven't screwed up yet, I however, have screwed up lots, and learnt my lesson.

Kirby