PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday on the chuck

BlacktailStalker
06-03-2007, 08:52 PM
We hit the local "hump" yesterday a couple hours before high slack.
Only 4 other boats out there and according to 2 guys we knew, it was very slow.
Well 10 mins after we dropped our gear, fish on lol ! Nice 12lb to the boat followed by a "bonk!"
Uh oh, downrigger won't come up. So after filing all the corrosion off the contacts, still no juice. Fuse was fine. Tried the other battery, Hmmmm. Half hour later we had the male and female end of the DR connector apart and the positive conductor on the male end was completely corroded with minimal contact to the terminal. By passed the plug-in and hard wired it to the battery and we were trolling again ! Can never have too many spare parts on a boat. All that time of swinging around and taking bow splash had just taken its toll on that cord.
10 mins later another hit, on my buddys side, again, and after swimming right at the boat, threw the hook. I could feel the glares in the back of our heads from the other boats.

White hootchie fellas, there's a plankton bloom, visibility is minimal :)
Bang! Another fish, for him, but just a shaker. Time to change my presentation as I was down 3-0. Uncommon for this guy (ok ok I'm being coc*y)
I threw on my ol faithful for late may/early june on this local hole of ours, just a green/white glow hootchie with blue specs.
Last time it accounted for a 27.5 and 22lb spring (only because I had no net that time and had to tail them:) ) Sometimes Murphy is a good guy to have on your shoulder.
An hour later I was into a fish, just a shaker though. And another.
then almost instantly after shaking that 4lber off, my buddy hit what we thought was a good one on his mother of pearl coyote spoon on the top rod, but was released long line fashion 100 feet from the boat!
Wham Wham wham!! "That looks good!" I said as I sent the hook home. My rod started pumping with the tell tale head shake of a good spring, neither coming up or taking line at first. Then the MR3 started to sing, briefly and gone. Just like that.
I couldnt explain that one, just part of fishing maybe.
That's why it's not called "catching" :)
A couple more shakers and we had enough, as we had a couple strings of prawn traps to pull and a 20 min ride home.
All in all nice day on the water.

Now of course today he had a charter and called me at noon saying they had already hit 10 fish and several were in the 15lb range, including a 30lb hali they picked up over the hump. The 4th hali we have caught bewteen us on the inside, yes, Georgia strait.
Today they were being hit at 130', and yesterday we were at our lucky 187'. Of course making sense now, is the fact that the plankton bloom makes for low light conditions deeper and the fish are up a bit higher looking for food.
Only a matter of time til we have a good hali popuilation 360 degrees around the wonderful Island we live on.
Get out there, it's only getting better!

Don't forget those big tides often put the fish off for a while, usually just because they travel or get pushed around more. Now with the tides not as extreme, it should put us into the more productive times with the start of summer.

gameslayer
06-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun, Salt water fishing is a passion of mine. That is great to hear you are geting Halibut in the Straight. I Fish Galiano Island area once a year and have noticed the lingcod are getting bigger as well. It is really hard to beat a great day fishing in the salt chuck. Sounds like you have it made over there between the trail cams and the fishing. I am definitly doing somthing wrong.

Wildman
06-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Right on! I havent been out yet this year..too much on my plate, but I will be going out here on Saturday for hali finally.

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Sweet, nothin' like haulin' in barn doors ! Take pics !

4pointhunter
06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
a couple of my friends went out in campbell river this weekend, couldn't keep there lines in the water just one fish after another, its alot of work constantly pulling fish in, they got a few nice ones.

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah the troll from the can to the lighthouse on the ebb is probably the best place to be this time of year. Also a bonus is the faster current combined with the ripping tide makes the plankton bloom less of an issue which is why I believe there is the best place/time of the year on this side of the Island right now.