PDA

View Full Version : What's your Favorite Big Game Animal to hunt?, And Why?

Mulie_Hunter
12-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Ok guys, Here's a new poll because I'm unbelieviably "BORED" tonight.
Whats your Favorite Big game animal to hunt, and why?

Vote on the poll and if you want to leave your 2 cents below.

huntersdad
12-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey Pollster
I dont get to do it Hardly enough but my vote is for Island Elk.
I have spent lots of hours watching these animals and cant wait for LEH time every year.

3kills
12-21-2004, 08:05 PM
anything that i can hunt..but i put moose cuz i love moose meat the most...

Canuck2
12-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Well, I love bowhunting whitetails and considered voting that way. But I really enjoy skulking through fingers of meadows looking for moose, and nearly voted for them. However, although it's been about 10 years since the last time I hunted pronghorn, I have to say they are just the most fun things to hunt, bar none. So when you look at the results and see that someone was goofy enough to vote for pronghorns, that was me. 8-)

palmer
12-21-2004, 08:46 PM
MOOSE all the way...nothing like spending a frosty Oct morning in the swamp

Marc
12-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Well I was going to vote for Bison but it wasn't there so I figured Pronghorn being native to BC would be the next closest thing ;)

I'm like hunters Dad I think Elk would be my favorite even though I've only been here a year and haven't tried the rest out yet. I've seen some last fall and this summer and there is nothing more majestic then the Roosevelt Elk.

oldtimer
12-21-2004, 09:22 PM
No question...MOOSE..... Best eating is the only reason, Then stalking a bear with my bow then mulies. Mike

todbartell
12-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Whitetail

So many cool tactics to use like rattling, calling, and scents, plus they're beautiful animals and a tremendous trophies that can adapt to a huge variety of habitats. :-D

sawmill
12-21-2004, 10:22 PM
i agree,whities are great fun and alot less work than moose but i just love hunting muledeer.

Amphibious
12-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Black bear - way to much fun.

QnsCowboy
12-22-2004, 12:20 AM
Well being a Bow Hunter now, and really only have hunted, Moose, Elk, Bear and Blacktail Deer....For me it has to be deer....skinny little buggers that they are on the coast, they I think are the hardest and get the most thrill of taking a buck with my bow, over any other game I have harvested......

willyqbc
12-22-2004, 02:24 AM
When it comes right down to it I am a meat hunter, so there really is no contest for me, its moose all the way.

Chris

Steeleco
12-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Black bear - way to much fun.
I like any and all hunting that I can get, but getting in close to an animal that might just kick your butt just ups things a notch.

leftcoast
12-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Tough poll. My all time favourite isn't on the list so i didn't pick one. Dall Sheep is tops. Absolutely the ultimate game animal.

Hardest would be 3 years or older blacktail. Most exciting is spot and stalk blackbear with the bow. Moose for the freezer is most satisfying. And I love Muley's because they have a bit of everything. Someday would like to try elk.

=keith=

bone-collector
12-22-2004, 10:32 AM
moose during the rutt, nothing says loving like 1000lbs of pissed off snot blowing bellering testotseroned up big bulls :lol:

love the woods
12-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Moose All The Way.its An Awesome Animal To Look At,your Filling The Freezer,and You Know On A Moose Trip Hunt, Gonna See Them.

meat hunter
12-22-2004, 11:06 AM
MOOSE

You seldom have to use your binos if your hunting "any bull", compared to Island deer they really are easy to spot. As long as there not to deep in the rut they taste excellent.

YukonJack
12-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Black Bears...Lot's of fun, and the family likes the meat most of all...mmm, tasty buggers!

Seabass
12-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Black Bears, fun time hunting them.

Kirby
12-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Mulies all the way. I'm not sure why but I am totally addicted to them, nothing else gets my blood going like stalking into bow range of a trophy mulie.

Kirby

BCHunter
12-22-2004, 03:58 PM
bears all the way

bochunk2000
12-22-2004, 06:15 PM
I like to hunt blacktail bucks with my bow the best. I love venison. Ireally want to get a bear with the bow though. I have only gone out once for moose about 15 years ago and Elk is my holy grail. When I get to hunt those animals my oppinion might change.

houndogger
12-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Well I voted for black bear. It would be a toss up between them and cats but they weren't on the list. Bobcats are a good chase also. Never been lucky enough for a leh elk on the Island yet, but one day. Guided for moose the last few years and they are a rush calling them into bow range jouring the rut. Sheep and goat are high on my to do list. :biggrin:

Mulie_Hunter
12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Sorry about not havin all these critters you guys are comin up with posted on the poll ,but your only allowed 10 options on the poll.

just-one-shot
12-22-2004, 07:59 PM
I would have to say that moose would have to be my favorite of any big game that I have had a chance to hunt for so far.But isn't any hunt everyone's favorite type of hunt or is it just me? :grin:

leftcoast
12-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Mulie-Hunter, you done good. No need to apologise. I am enjoying all the answers. Notice how many grizzly bear answers there are? That surprises me.

=keith=

houndogger
12-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Ya only got to try that once Keith. No luck and I hope that ain't my last chance!

Ridge-Runner
12-23-2004, 06:53 AM
Sheep by far, and in British Columbia we are lucky to have four different types which offer different hunting statagies. So if you want some variety you can move around the Province.

Why, love the habitat and the style of hunting.

The best of the season to all.

Cheers, RR

Thunderstix
12-23-2004, 09:46 AM
I thought I had answered this one already but apparently not. It is elk but Black Bears are a close second. Deer hunting really grabbed my heart this past season so my answer may be different if you ask me again next year.
I love when elk bugle on a clear crisp morning...or whan it is poring rain...anytime! I love the abundance of bears and the two lengthy seasons.

Deer_Hunter101
12-23-2004, 12:26 PM
I love to hunt black tail! it's one of my favourites.

rock
09-03-2005, 01:32 PM
I enjoy hunying deer, but moose is still my favorite more meat for the bang.

bsa30-06
09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
love to hunt those mulies , however i'm going to try for a bear this season and then my answer may change , will also try for a moose then that answer may change again, better ask me again at the end of the season.

Krico
09-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I voted for sheep, have hunted them only once(actually Stone's) but had the time of my life. Love the solitude, scenery, challenge-was a great time. Didn't come home with a ram, but chased a good one for 3 days. Didn't come home empty handed though, got a nice caribou!

Ronforca
09-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I guess that it is Mulies with White Tails a close second.Sure like the taste of the meat from a nice fat Whitetail.

coastalcowboy
09-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Blacktails!!!!Everybody I know has a good Mulie or a decent Blackbear.How many guys do you know with a smokin' V.I. blacktail.Don't get me wrong,I love 'em all for different reasons.I consider myself very fortunate to have been born with the hunting equivelant of a silver spoon in my mouth(B.C. res.,Pops in Alta.,Fam. in Sask.,whiteys,mulies swampdonkeys,B.C.bud fed bears.etc.).But when all is said and done,despite much bigger and more coveted meat in the freezer,thesmile you can,t smack off my face comes from a 175lb. 7-8 yr. old fork (yes I said fork) that fell to a 100gr. muzzy broadhead at 7 yards!He was hard won and dominant to say the least.Dumping my big mulie from another postal code just dosen't compare.No offense intended,just my 2cents.

Bow Walker
09-03-2005, 06:07 PM
ELK - then Whitetail, then Blacktail, then Moose. I would likely give one of my now useless (almost) cajones for a chance to arrow one of those magnificent big elk that roam around up near Woss Lake and Bonanza Lake.

I have eaten a piece of loin from a prime Whitetail - shot up in the eastern foothills of the Rockies - it was quite possibly the best game meat that I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

I say almost the best because I scored a moose calf tag while living in Prince Geo. one year. Long story short, that button-bull was like eating veal. Nothing was even remotely tough or chewy. Enjoyed every bite.

But I voted for Elk because that is my dream hunt.............one day.

outdooorsman
09-03-2005, 06:26 PM
nothing like calling in a big bull on a frosty morning in october like someone already said

rrfred
09-03-2005, 08:00 PM
moose is the fav. first but not much done in recent years, mule deer close second -overall preference in recent years, - reason they taste so damn good-

brotherjack
09-03-2005, 08:56 PM
White-Tail, becuase they're easy to productively hunt (IE: it don't take much, or long to bag a white-tail). I wish elk were easier to hunt, they're my favourite eatin, but have never even seen a live 6 point, much less shot one.

Red Foreman
09-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Moose followed closely buy mulies.It's pretty damn exciting when you see a big black moose moving through the trees straining to see if he's legal or not.This year I've got the leh bull draw so it will be much easier.A fresh skiff of snow and a big swamp donkey says good times to me.Even when the moose turns out to be non legal it still gets the blood going when you sneek up on them hoping to see that illusive immature rack.I try to see how close I can get before they bust me if they're not legal.

Ltbullken
09-04-2005, 01:55 PM
In order:

Moose #1 - 'cause their big, fill the freezer and are good eating. Love hunting in moose country - big marshes, beautiful rivers, mountains, cool air - I'm there already. Guess you could say that about many animals. Just something about going after N. America's largest deer.

Mulies - for the challenge.

Black Bear.

Grouse - for target practice and camp snack.

coaster
09-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm with Bones on this one, it's nice to know you're not the toughest thing in the bush. That's what keeps you alert...

talver
09-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Moose by far is my favorite big game animal, there is no greater rush than calling out a 1000lb plus bull moose during the rut. To within 25 yards and if its legal it gets popped if not having it turn away thinkin you were the ugliest cow moose its has ever seen

Camp Cook
09-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I clicked on Mule deer.

I'm going after mountain goat, grizzly, and the usual mule/whitetail deer, black bear, moose, cariboo in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking that this grizzly hunt is going to be the most exciting hunt of my life.

So in a few weeks I'm thinking that grizzly hunting is going to be my favorite.

sealevel
09-05-2005, 05:29 PM
I would like to say caraboo but never had the chance ihunt mule deer most but my faverate is moose .

puppychow
09-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I would love to shoot an elk on Vancouver Island. It would be truly a challenge to call in a big bull elk and harvest him with a bow.

1/2 slam
09-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Sheep, Stone's Sheep. I love the country you find them in.
Followed by blacktails. Tough to get a good one.

Gus
09-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Tuff call, but had to choose elk because I figure it's hard to beat the answering bugle of a bull elk in the crisp morning air