PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Bear?

ryanb
05-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Does anyone feed their dogs bear meat? How do they like it? How do you prepare it for the dog?

Thanks,
Ryan

Mr. Dean
05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
If I recall correctly... Some one (from the island???) was on here this past winter BEGGING for Bear meat for their dog. The pooch had some kind of digestive issues and that was about all it could eat.

270WIN
05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I have a blue heeler border collie x and she has eaten bear moose and deer all raw or cooked and never any problems. i rember one time i was gutting a moose and well the guts seem to be coming out easy i looked over my shoulder and my dog was pulling on some of the inners for me i thought it was quite cute.

GoatGuy
05-31-2007, 10:19 AM
I've got a buddy who has a whole farm of hounds - he cans it

SHAKER
05-31-2007, 10:27 AM
As long as I cook it and mix it in with some real dog food I don't mind feeding my hounds game meat of any kind. I personally wouldn't feed it raw, but thats just my opinion.

270WIN
05-31-2007, 10:36 AM
far as raw yes it probly better bieng cooked but i heard some ware and not sure how true it is but it depends on the bread of the dog. take a wolf hi bread or even a blue heeler witch is just a dingo they are raw meat eater in the wild so it does not efect there digetion system as well lets just say a lab ect. like i said i heard it some ware not sure how true it is

Rookie
05-31-2007, 06:02 PM
I`ve feed my dog a truckload of bear meat,no problems.She loves it.

Brambles
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
I read a book about a Nahanni trapper who use to shoot black bears and feed it to his dogs. Not sure how the tricinosis (spelling???) affects a dog if the meat is uncooked?

Everett
06-08-2007, 07:55 PM
My Blue Healer loves raw bear meat, the vet said it was fine as long as you dewormed him once a year

Ioneth
06-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Making a bear meat stew for your dogs is all so a good Idea chop/dice up carrots and celery and mix with small chunks of meet and to thicken it up add rice or oats to soak up the liquid. you could also add potatoes if you wanted to but if you make it to good you might end up eating it all.

The breeder I got my whippet from gives her dogs this type of home made food while her dogs are racing for the extra protein for their muscles.

spreerider
01-20-2008, 12:21 AM
raw organic dog food is a new fad with wealthy people. if you go to speciatly pet food shops and see how much raw meat costs you will want to feed your dog bear.

my aunt has standard poodles that had digestion problems and she tried them on raw food instead of the 200$ a month medicine the vet recomended and they are perfectly healthy now, the only thing is you have to adjust your dog over time or they get the runs,
humans are the same way we can eat raw meat but because we dont we have lost the enzyme that helps us break the raw protine down, but if we aclimatize ourselves to raw meat, maybe one small peice a day along with our regular meals we develope the enzime and become able to eat any raw meat.

i was going to start my dog on raw diet when i got him but at the time i couldent afford the specialty meats and didnt have the time to prepare an extra meal each day so he is on dry food for now,

i did try a stew as suggested but he refuses to eat anything a vegetable has touched, we give him stew and he picks out the meat and wont eat the gravy or veggies.

Steeleco
01-20-2008, 12:35 AM
My Rottie gets raw trimmings from whatever is hanging in the shed. Most all the leg bones are her's too. I was asked about tric, but I don't think it's as big a deal as most folks think.

wsm
02-03-2008, 09:03 PM
i feed my dog bear meat sometimes, i wrap it in tinfoil and cook it for 30 min . 2lbs, chunks stewing meat size. loves it

tomahawk
02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Its also good human food, take the best cuts for yourself and give the dog the others.

Will
02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
take a wolf hi bread or even a blue heeler witch is just a dingo they are raw meat eater in the wild
Wild Carnivores and such are often full of parasites and worms, it's just part of nature.....that's why we evolved to cook meat...not just for taste but some Caveman way back discovered that he didn't get sick or pee out of his ars when the Meat was cooked:wink:

Sure 99% of the time Raw wild meat is fine for dogs....but you are taking a chance with it...and with your dog.