PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Continent

DieselDog
05-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I cant contain myself anymore, Iam stoked. I leave for a 16 day safari hunt tomorrow.This is my first time hunting Africa. I will be hunting in Namibia with the Die Keiler group, they are a group of 5 individual hunting concessions. I will hunt three different ranches in three different geographical areas for plains game. The animals I will be after are Warthog, Greater Kudu, Oryx(Gemsbuck),Springbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Hartman's Zebra, Blesbuck, and Steenbuck. I will also take a Leopard if I have a chance and or funds available.
The only thing I'am not looking forward to is the flight it takes 30 hours of travel time to reach Windhoek, Namibia, so I wonn't even notice the 3 hour drive from the airport to the hunting area.I hope to give you all a full report when I get back including lots of pictures. My girlfriend is coming along as the "offical" photographer.If anyone is intrested at looking, the website for the outfitter I'am huntig with is www.africa-hunting.com (http://www.africa-hunting.com) . Well I have to go take my dose of dukeral and finish packing my gear.I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight.

DieselDog

358mag
05-30-2007, 09:14 PM
I cant contain myself anymore, Iam stoked. I leave for a 16 day safari hunt tomorrow.This is my first time hunting Africa. I will be hunting in Namibia with the Die Keiler group, they are a group of 5 individual hunting concessions. I will hunt three different ranches in three different geographical areas for plains game. The animals I will be after are Warthog, Greater Kudu, Oryx(Gemsbuck),Springbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Hartman's Zebra, Blesbuck, and Steenbuck. I will also take a Leopard if I have a chance and or funds available.
The only thing I'am not looking forward to is the flight it takes 30 hours of travel time to reach Windhoek, Namibia, so I wonn't even notice the 3 hour drive from the airport to the hunting area.I hope to give you all a full report when I get back including lots of pictures. My girlfriend is coming along as the "offical" photographer.If anyone is intrested at looking, the website for the outfitter I'am huntig with is www.africa-hunting.com (http://www.africa-hunting.com) . Well I have to go take my dose of dukeral and finish packing my gear.I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight.

DieselDog
good for you have a great time take lots + lots of pictures looking forward to your report when you get back sounds like a trip of a llife time

Crazy_Farmer
05-30-2007, 09:23 PM
When I finally get enough money to go on a safari I plan on going to Namibia. Post a lot of pictures becuase the ones I really want to hunt are kudus and gembucks. Just curious but what rifle do you plan on shooting there?

ohno
05-31-2007, 08:22 AM
what rifle do you plan on shooting there?
x2
and bullets
There are some great pics and stories on the Accuratereloading website of African safari's.

boxhitch
05-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Good luck on a great adventure. The hunts are cheap, its the Trophy costs that will ad up.

http://www.africa-hunting.com/picts/paragraph-line.jpg
Rifles
We recommend hunting rifles with calibre 7x64 and up and a projectile weight of 180 grains. A high velocity bullet with a max. force on impact is needed. Telescope sights with 4 to 6 enlargement are sufficient.
Rifles for hire are available on request.

The import of handguns and automatic/semi-automatic rifles is prohibited by law.

300 Win Mag would be perfect

DieselDog
05-31-2007, 09:22 AM
I will be shooting 7mm mag on this trip. Unfortunately i cant bring my own rifle because I'am staying in Frankfurt a couple of days wich makes the logistics and paper work a nightmare. The outfitter offers 300 win. mag, 30-06, or 7mm mag for rental. I chose the 7mm m700 remmington because I have the same rifle in 7mm here, so I won't be uncomfortable shooting it. As for bullets I will be using premium factory ammo. Well I'am off to the airport for a trip of a lifetime. Still can't believe I'am going.:-D8)

Wish me luck, DieselDog

interceptor
05-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Good luck DD,

I have mate who leaves for Africa this week for an all Archery Hunt, he has not slept for days either.

All the best.

Cheers Noel

mainland hunter
05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
make sure your outfit handles the hides properly, skins them out properly, i have seen many hides come from africa bug eaten and very poorly skinned (Its a shame for people to spend all that money on a hunt and have the hides arrive in canada ruined) other than that good luck on your hunt, cant wait to get the chance to go there one day. Gemsbok and Greater Kudu are 2 that i want

Bow Walker
06-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Late post - but good luck and above all enjoy yourself. It's the chance of a lifetime for the majority of us 'blue collar types'.

I'll be looking forward to a detailed accounting and lots of photos.

This is how I take my vacations - has been for the past 6 years.

bruin
06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Good luck, can't wait to see some pics when you return

David Heitsman
06-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I went to RSA one year, took my own rifles but I wouldn't do it again either.

If the outfitter can supply good quality firearms then skip the hassles and enjoy the flight.

If I could recommend however, get your taxidermy work done in Canada even if it appears cheaper over there. I didn't and got several mounts back with inferior quality than what I am used to.

Looking forward to hearing your report.