PDA

View Full Version : Smoke house

Kechika
05-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Im looking to build a smokehouse in the back yard.Any suggestions?Not looking to do the Fridge thing.Thanks

lip_ripper00
05-26-2007, 04:51 PM
have a look at the pictures in my gallery and see if the cabinit will work

mntman
05-26-2007, 05:07 PM
how big of a unit you want to build

moosinaround
05-26-2007, 05:28 PM
I built a 3.5' by 4' by 7' smoker out of 2x3's and plywood. Then I found a old two burner coleman propane stove at a garage sale for 10$. Bought a nice and heavy cast iron pot from campers village in Edmt. and there it is a smoke house. I went to the swap shed at the recycle center and claimed some racks out of a fridge, and installed them for the product to be smoked on. For sausage I hang the rings off of haywire. Works good. I goo out into the bush and get my own alder and chip it up with an axe to use for smoke, but there are chips available at all the walmarts or crappy tires. Simple to build and not that expensive. I can do 50lbs per batch, of whatever fish or meat. The propane heats things up nicely, better than an electric element. Happy bulding and happy smokin' Moosin.

srupp
06-12-2007, 09:40 AM
if I get motivated Ill post photos of my winter project a homemade smoker....

Steven

Gateholio
06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Probably not relevent to this conversation, but I continue to be amazed at the "Little Chief" series of smokers.

I needed a smoker for the restaurant, one that was n't too big, was easy to clean, and portable (so we can use it and put it away) , so I bought a Big Chief.

I've used Bradley smokers before, and they are excellent, but the Big Chief is simple and works, and is cheap.8)

Dirty
06-12-2007, 12:11 PM
http://www.smoking-meat.com/smokehouse-plans.html

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/s_design/masonry_5695.htm

A quick search of google provided some good information. If you want something that will last I would make it out of cinder blocks. That smoker is a solid unit.

todbartell
06-12-2007, 12:27 PM
the new Bradley digitals are amazing

srupp
06-12-2007, 02:38 PM
This is my home made smoker..it is double walled steel(old blanket warmer ) the inside is 6 feet tall x 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep...has 8 racks for salmon and 4 for hanging smokies etc...

The top was added just to shed water and give stability to smoke pipe /stack..on the side closest is a thermometer and at the bottom of the front is an adjustable steel slide vent for changing air volumes....:mrgreen:

All in all I have $75 in this....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_02210001.jpg

Steven

Wildman
06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I have a book at home on building smokers. I will post the name later.

BlacktailStalker
06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Thats a damn nice smoker srupp.
The bradleys are good but they get ya having to buy their bricks.
I have just used the reliable Big Chief smoker. I usually like to be around while it smokes so I can rotate the racks top to bottom so changing the pan every hour isnt that bad.

Kechika
06-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Thans guys.Steven what type of cabinet is that?Looks awsome

partsman
06-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Tis an old blanket warmer.

boxhitch
06-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Aahh, yes, the old blanket warmer.......WTF ?? :)

srupp
06-13-2007, 12:26 AM
hmmmm blanket warmer from a hospital for providing nice warm blankets ..double steel walls with fibreglass insulation between the two walls...

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
06-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Damn Steven! That thing is nicer than my house!!:roll:

SSS

greasysidedown
06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
What's the duct tape for?

srupp
06-13-2007, 01:43 PM
The duct tape is because I moved the smoker from my back yard to front yard(planting grass in back yard ) and so it is OUTSIDE our locked & fenced back yard so I put duct tape to keep it "shut" and so it might keep kids from getting INSIDE the smoker playing ....... everyday I look to see the duct tape is intact..if it ever is "broken" I could IMEDIATLY check why and make sure no kid is inside..."playing " so for safety...while its temporarily outside our back yard...

Steven

boxhitch
06-13-2007, 06:09 PM
double steel walls with fibreglass insulation between

That is a great set-up. Electric heat ?

srupp
06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
either /or..... gas or electric...

Steven

srupp
06-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Update..I was JUST on the border for heat for smokies with ELECTRIC so I went to just propane heat and it works perfect..on the lowest setting it is just under the needed heat..so minimum propane useage..lower cost per batch..and the smoker is SO efficient that the outside walls dont get warm at all..Ok maybe marginally..the stack is working exellent as is the fresh air draw...tried it out today...got a new cast irorn frying pan for the chips....will need to keep my eyes peeled for cherry trees being cut down for some cherry wood...HINT HINT..lol..

I am going to get a pipe to get the gas to the burner inside the smoker and save the hose for outside,...next week SMOKIES!!!!!Ill post some IN USE PHOTOS THEN....

STEVEN

thatskindafunny
06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
This is my home made smoker..it is double walled steel(old blanket warmer ) the inside is 6 feet tall x 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep...has 8 racks for salmon and 4 for hanging smokies etc...

The top was added just to shed water and give stability to smoke pipe /stack..on the side closest is a thermometer and at the bottom of the front is an adjustable steel slide vent for changing air volumes....:mrgreen:

All in all I have $75 in this....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_02210001.jpg

Steven
Nicest one I've ever seen.

srupp
06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
lol she aint pretty...BUT she sure works amazingnly well..and I can do 60 pounds of smokies at a time..but my water bath cooker will only hold 30 #'s so i will do it in 30 pound loads...30 #'s in the smoker and then into the water bath while a second 30 #'s get's smoked...I anticipate being able to smoke peperoni or smokies well into DECEMBER in the CARIBOO with the set up ..OUTSIDE,,,

Steven

ratherbefishin
07-02-2007, 07:17 AM
and here I was looking at a blanket warmer in the government asset disposal site a few months ago and wondering what on earth I could use it for.....

srupp
07-02-2007, 05:00 PM
hmmmm the best use for one I have come up with...and really inexpensive...not even the price of metal..smoker photos of it in use tomorrow..

Steven

srupp
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM
whitetail smokies..made fresh yesterday...20 #s..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_03240001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_03250002.jpg

steven

Elkhound
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks alot Steven......

Now I really must go for lunch.....

You are sooooooooo lucky I am such a long drive away:wink:

srupp
07-03-2007, 12:19 PM
awww you wouldnt have liked em..lol..I "double " smoked this batch because most of em are going to my twin brother who LOVES heavily smoked fish and sausages...hence they are a little darker in color more brown than red..but not dry..

I thought they tasted like "more".... my good friend Gary..aka Cariboo tried some today..he seemed to like the extra smoke.....since they were for "home use" I didnt get too careful making each link the exact same size...heck they all look the same between 2 slices of bread with some mustard..

Steven

Elkhound
07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
awww you wouldnt have liked em..lol..I "double " smoked this batch because most of em are going to my twin brother who LOVES heavily smoked fish and sausages...

You are killing me here....is there a drooooool emoticon somewhere?

srupp
07-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I got my NEW 2008 King Ranch diesel truck today and took some smokies into the dealership they opened them right there and scarffed em all back only the still frozen ones survived..for now..

In the picture the pretty lady is my wife Susan...and she's filling a stainless steel pot..once smoking is done I finish the smokies for a bit i hot water to complete the job..then into a cold bath to stop the cooking process and prevent shrivelling of the smokies..

Steven