PDA

View Full Version : A Hunter's Breakfast

Bow Walker
05-24-2007, 11:34 AM
After you get back to camp from the morning hunt - could be mid-morning, could be 2 or 3 in the afternoon - build a huge pot of coffee, break out the frying pans and start in.....

Fresh deer or elk liver (or game sausages if you're a wuss:roll:)
Bacon - sliced thick
Onion(s) - sliced thick
Flour - or BisQuick biscuit mix - which does double duty
Large can(s) of stewed tomatoes
Eggs - two or three per person
A huge pot of coffee to keep the crew happy

Take the bacon and fry up (using a deep dish frying pan) enough for everyone (plus a bit extra for nibbling). Cook the onions at the same time.

Meanwhile pour a cup or so of BisQuick flour onto a plate and add some seasoning salt and pepper to the flour. Stir to mix well. Dredge the liver slices in the flour and shake off the excess. Set the liver slices aside until the bacon and onions are cooked.

When the bacon and onions are done place the slices of bacon on some paper towel and the onions on top of the bacon - then wrap it all in foil to keep it warm. Set aside.

In the same pan, using the bacon grease, brown the liver slices on both sides. As the liver cooks, set it aside in some foil to keep it warm.

When all the liver has been browned (don't cook it all the way through), pour off the grease from the frying pan. Set the pan back on the heat and add the liver slices, then use enough stewed tomatoes to cover the liver. You may need two pans at this point.

Let the tomato/liver mixture just reach the bubbling point - then turn the heat down to simmer and cover the pan with a lid or some tin foil. Move the pan away from the heat of the cooking fire (if using) to let it simmer.

Meanwhile, using another pan, make up the BisQuick biscuit mix and begin panfrying biscuits in a bit of the bacon grease. Make lots because they won't last.

When the liver is just about cooked, remove the lid and crack in the eggs right on top of the tomatoes and liver. Cover and continue simmering until the eggs are cooked the way you like them.

When the eggs are done to the way everyone likes them, dish up the tomatoes and liver onto plates. Add the bacon and onions on top. Top it all with eggs. Put two or three biscuits on the side (keeping the rest at hand). Pour a large mug of coffee. Serve up to the starving crew and get ready for a lot of pats on the back.8)

Chuck
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
You know it's true that there are people who would pay real BIG money to sit down to a meal like that in an absolutely beautiful pristine wilderness setting, a hint of wood smoke in the air and not a mosquito or black fly in sight. Maybe a creek running off in the background and the occasional call of a Gray Jay or Nutcracker. And then after the meal, a stroll along a winding path through a damp spruce forest to suck in the wonderfully strange smells of earth and unknown growing things. Ya just dreaming out loud. You been there too?

Rainwater
05-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Not for the cholestorel conscious. Sounds DDD Delicous.

Bow Walker
05-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Don't worry about the cholesterol, fat, calories, or anything like that..........you will work it all off the next morning running up and down from the alpine meadows on your elk hunt.

A Wilderness Restuarant Experience eh? Maybe you're on to something. Maybe I should get Gatehouse and move to somewhere just outside Cranbrook..........

Bigbear
05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Home Baked Beens , Home Made Moose stew, and 3 eggs Sunny side Up.
Nummmy. :mrgreen:, Lunch Home Baked Beens on Toast. They dont Call it a Fart sack for Nuthin . LOL:eek:

hunter1947
05-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Home Baked Beens , Home Made Moose stew, and 3 eggs Sunny side Up.
Nummmy. :mrgreen:, Lunch Home Baked Beens on Toast. They dont Call it a Fart sack for Nuthin . LOL:eek: Don't do that to me ,i am getting that urge to eat ,making me hungry
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

BCLongshot
05-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Meal of Champions

beeker
05-24-2007, 06:27 PM
not a big fan of liver but sounds like a hell of a feast... and its amazing how good anything tastes out in the bush!!

bosch
11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
God that sounds ridicuously magnificent!!

pupper
11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
that sounds good bowalker. did you make that up?

Bow Walker
11-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Pretty much pupper. I cook. I think. I eat. I think some more. I develop a recipe.

"Never Trust A Skinny Cook!"

Sikanni Stalker
12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I'll be trying that one out next sunday. Sounds like a winner!