PDA

View Full Version : Anamita Mushrooms

Spokerider
05-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I've got those damned Anamita Pantherina mushrooms growing in my yard, and I caught my pup with a button cap of one in her mouth. Don't know if she actually ingested any of it as she's not displaying any neuro deficits. You know pups, they'll eat almost anything........ Every couple of days I'm out digging them up and destroying them before she can get to them.

So, for you dog owners out there, and those with children or grand kids, if you have anamita's growing in your yard dig'em up and get rid of them.

Marc
05-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Spokerider, could you post up a picture of what they look like? Are they dangerous to dogs? I've got afew mushrooms growing in my back yard as well but never seen any effect on the dogs. I've got a femaleand she eats everything she can get her chops on so it would be nice to know what they look like.

Marc.

Bow Walker
05-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I'd be very interested to, as my pup is constantly chewing on something or other.

Spokerider
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Here is an Animita Pantherina mushroom. They grow under conifers. They can also be a lighter tan color and have fewer white "flakes" on the cap.
Deadly.

Bow Walker
05-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Mark - appreciate the headsup.

Monashee
06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Apparently mushrooms that are poisonous to people are not necessarily harmful to animals , so I have read. Stranger yet is that some people are unaffected after eating poisonous mushrooms.... exactly why no one seems to know.

We have many amanitas on our property in the spring and fall, they add a bit of color :/

boxhitch
06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
We have many amanitas on our property in the spring and fall, they add a bit of color :/
Hallucinogenic ? :twisted:

Ioneth
06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Most if not all Amanita are Hallucinogenic some more deadly than others.

Your mushroom could also be this one Amanita muscaria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Agaric)

spreerider
01-20-2008, 12:17 AM
To kill a mushroom patch you have to turn the soil with a spade as the mushrooms are just a fruting body of a network of small "roots" i cant for the life of me recall what the "roots" are called but if you just pick the fruit you dont kill the tree just like apples.
if you turn the soil and expose the "roots" to air they will die and your mushrooms wont come back.

Dirty
01-20-2008, 12:30 AM
The "roots" are actually called hyphae.

alremkin
01-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Or Mycelium:
main part of fungus: a loose network of the delicate filaments hyphae that form the body of a fungus, consisting of the feeding and reproducing hyphae

Microsoft® Encarta® 2007. © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
It's like the root structure that exists in the ground in order for the fungi to grow.

spreerider
01-20-2008, 07:33 PM
heh i knew someone would remember for me :)
I used to grow mushrooms (not the kind your thinking of :P) in my backyard, oyster/shitake, and i go out mushroom picking every year but only for my own needs, i like to dry and can them for soups and usually thanksgiving turkey is stuffed with chantys and hopefully some nice pines.

HighTideChessies
01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Glad for this post and the photos too! We almost lost our chessie when he was five months old - to mushroom poisoning. He had snarfed some down on a walk - didn't think much of it at the time. Within 2 hours he was stumbling around, drooling plate sized puddles, and then had explosive diarrhea. Rushed him to the vet and heard those words you never want to hear from your vet, "We'll do the best we can but it might be too late." Five days later we were able to bring him home and he made a full recovery, but it's a story I don't mind sharing with other dog owners. I've since learned of many who've lost a good retriever to mushroom poisoning. Our vet, also a breeder, had this advice/quote for us:

"There are two kinds of mushroom experts - good ones and dead ones, and some of the good ones are dead.":eek:

Keep your pets safe.

Spokerider
01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
HighTideChessies,

Thanks for the post. Sounds like you had a very close call there....touch and go. Glad he survived.

The animita's amatoxin affects the muscarinic receptors in nervous system, ultimately causing death from liver necrosis. The symptoms are: initially nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, salivation with continued gastointestinal distress, intoxication, dizziness, ataxia [unsteady or wobbly gait], seizures, rapid heart rate, dry mouth, dilated pupils, hyperventilation, shortness of breath.

Treatments include acivated charcoal, antiseizure medications, IV rehydration therapy, and various other medications to counteract the amatoxin.

I guess I'll be doing some serious digging this spring to rid my yard of these mushrooms.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
pick em ...and dri them out ... give them to the pizza delivery kid ....

I am kidding ...relax everyone ...it was a joke ..... I watched Detroit Rock City last nite ...

thanx Marc for the heads up

wolverine
01-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Almost lost my Aussie Shepherd to a neurotoxin last year. Vet wasn't sure what the exact cause was but told me to watch for mushrooms. Found a couple of those nasty buggers under my cedar trees. Whatever it was it was fast acting as it took only about 15 minutes and his hind end collapsed. (our first indication that there was something wrong) Within a half an hour ( the time it took us to reach the vet's office ) his front end was collapsing as well. Dr. thought it was too late for him but advised that we leave him under observation with him and that he do more tests. Well 10 days and a $1,000.00 later we brought him home, yet unable to walk and with no promises. I worked with him every day and it took him a few months but he got almost back to normal. To this day he still has a few minor issues that I don't think will ever go away. If you have dogs, get rid of any mushrooms you see in your back yard. Google neuro toxins for dogs and you might be surprised at what you find. There are a number of things that you wouldn't think would be dangerous but are deadly for dogs. Like Macadamia Nuts.... who woulda thunk it.

Spokerider
05-13-2010, 07:55 AM
It`s that time of the year again..............the anamita`s are out.
Watch what your dog is eating in your yard or out on the trail.

Lots'oLabs
05-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks for starting this thread Spokerider, and reminding all of us of how dangerous these mushrooms are.
Several years ago a pup in our dog club died within an hr. of ingesting Amanita's.
One of my dogs had a bout of seizures, convulsing uncontrollably, that lasted for 45 minutes after running thru a patch. It happened about 4 hrs. after and our vet guessed that he must have breathed some spores.
For those of you living in Victoria, Beaver/Elk Lake are full of them.
Be very carful with your dogs!

c.r.hunter
05-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Sometimes changing the PH of the soil will kill the mushrooms. Acid soil, use lime to bring up the PH and alkaline soil, try bark mulch or wood chips to lower it.

Spokerider
05-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Rototiller!
None have returned........so far.

Bow Walker
05-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Fortunately, for both me and my dog she's not the least interested in any we've come across in our travels - and there have been quite a few - she doesn't even give them a sniff. The vet bills/visits are steep enough without Amanita poisoning thrown into the mix!