PDA

View Full Version : Open Moose season Region 5

palmer
12-17-2004, 08:58 PM
So has anybody heard whats happening with the open immature Moose season in Region 5. I heard through the grapevine it was not coming back next year, but maybe one of you guys around Quesnel has heard different????

Steeleco
12-17-2004, 11:23 PM
I haven't heard anything, but I hunted in 5-01 in mid October and speculated that this may happen. "The animals took a beating" is what we heard after talking to some of the local people. That and the incident with the native community in the areas closer to Quenel made us think that any or all moose will be back to to LEH next year. Personally I think the wildlife office underestimated the pressure expected and will have to really think things through.

swamper
12-17-2004, 11:41 PM
If we lose the moose season for next year guys it is strictly a political ploy on the part of the government to appease the indians. I work at a cardlock and deal with log truckers on a daily basis. Every day they tell me that there are so many moose out there it is dangerous. One of the truckers has hit 4 moose so far this fall. If we don't lobby the government to keep the season going then we may as well cut our guns up and throw away out bows because we won't be hunting. I for one am so darn tired of the BS handed to us by the politicians. Why is it that we just sit back and take the crap they feed us. Gentlemen it's time we stood up for ourselves instead of taking it up the hoop.
JMHO
Chris

Mulie_Hunter
12-18-2004, 12:44 AM
I didn't mind the LEH in region 5. I think we are going to lose the immature season in region 5 though, after the stink that those Indians put up. If there's more moose around in the area I hunt in region 5 I don't care if they have an open season for LEH season(I go there for the mulies anyway! :lol: )

Steeleco
12-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Every day they tell me that there are so many moose out there it is dangerous. One of the truckers has hit 4 moose so far this fall. Chris
I suppose I should be follwoing one of these trucks with a knife and a trailer:eek:
But seriously your right Chris. How would we find out the government's intentions before they release the next set of reg's. I don't get animals often enough to let them mess with what little chance I have.

Thunderstix
12-18-2004, 09:22 AM
I believe I just read in a new magazine that there will be no moosing somewhere in Region 5 next year. I will look at my mags today at home.

palmer
12-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Well I for one think there are plenty of moose for an open immature season. I had an LEH and was hunting aroung Quesnel this year. We saw plenty of moose everyday and got two bulls in three days...all the locals we talked to said the moose were EVERYWHERE....I would hope the wildlife branch makes the choice on facts ...not on some vocal user groups..

willyqbc
12-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Well there's certainly enough moose around the Quesnel area to support an immature season. Hell, theres a whole lot more here in region 5 than there is just north of town in 7-06/7-08 where they have an immature season, not to mention cow draws and a calf season. When you consider overall success rates and limiting that further by use of immature restrictions, an immature season wouldn't even put a dent in the moose populations here.

Just my opinion
Chris

oldtimer
12-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Well boys I heard just today that the First Nations are already whining that they don't have enough meat so the immature season is just about doomed in my opinion. What I can't figure out is why are the natives short of meat ? They slaughter just about anything on four legs any time they want.Or here is an interesting concept , Make them buy it just like you or I do, oh, I forgot , that would mean they would have to work, silly me.