PDA

View Full Version : When Should We Start Shooting A Bow

270WIN
12-17-2004, 03:21 PM
I Have A 4 Year Old Dought Who Love To Watch Me Shhot My Bow And She Is Asking For One For Xmas Is That O Young I Dont Think So But Some Other Opinions Would Be Nice Also She Asked For A Compound Should I Start Her On A Recurve First Or A Compound

MB_Boy
12-17-2004, 03:52 PM
4 years old and "requesting" a compound? too funny :)

3kills
12-17-2004, 05:16 PM
my niece isnt quite 3 yet and she wants my 300 saum already..she tells me every day that she is going to shoot a moose and i m goin to shoot a bear cuz she is scared of bearss lol..now back on topic...i dont use a bow but would love to get into and i wish that iwas brough up with bows just the same was i was brought up with rifles so i say the younger the better..

Nails
12-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Just having her interested in shooting a bow is great. My 20 year old daughter now uses a compond bow. She and her brother started using a recure with 15lb draw weight when they were young also. My son likes to use a recure over a compoud. Your daughter is not to young. Get her a bow she can pull easily, stick bows are usually easier to get a hold of and easier to learn and also cheaper. Have the target really close so she gets bulleyes. Make it fun for her and she will chose compound or stick bows when the time comes.

timberhunter
12-17-2004, 09:16 PM
My daughter is 9 months old now. And she already has a longbow, and her first deer rifle. :) I might have jumped the gun a little bit, but as soon as she can and or wants to, she'll be shooting. Just like mom and dad.

Marc S.

houndogger
12-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Under your supervison I think the sooner the better. They have all sorts of great low poundage recurves out there.

leftcoast
12-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Ya I am with the younger the better crowd. Stay away from Taylor bows. Good price and a good bow for the money but no follow through.

Maybe Chekmate makes a childs bow. I would stay away from a compound for a child. too heavy. They gotta hold them up and pull back and stay on target.

=keith=

bochunk2000
12-19-2004, 10:10 AM
I am also on the younger the better band wagon. I think the recurve is your best bet. Like others have said lighter and easier to learn. The more fun you make it the more likely she will continue on for a fun filled life with archery. Steve.

QnsCowboy
12-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Both my Son and Daughter (12 & 11 now) started with the #15 recurve that Nails speaks of, about 4 years ago. They both now shoot a compound and really enjoy it. I think they like the idea of doing something with me and it was easy for them to pick up. Start them young...:)

Craig

Mulie_Hunter
12-19-2004, 04:40 PM
I got my rifle when I was 9, And I started shooting when I was 7 so I was a little older than your daughter when I started ,but like the rest of these guys said the younger the better. I don't think I'll be interested in a bow for a long time.( I like loud noises :twisted: )

oldtimer
12-21-2004, 09:09 PM
My grandson, Willys son started shooting a small stick bow when he was 2. He now shoots a compound at about 12 # and he is 4 1/2 !!! goes both target shooting and 3D shooting. Biggest thing is for them to have fun and he does, just loves it.

Blacktail
12-22-2004, 02:23 PM
GEt her shooting a trad bow either a longbow or recurve of very light poundage.
LEt her decide at a future date if she wants the wheels

J_T
12-27-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree with Blacktail. Just get her shooting. Let her develop her archer's eye, using trad gear. It is simple for you to monitor. Let her understand the safety and rules around archery. Once they grow and want to hunt, you will likely have to move into a compound to meet the poundage requirement. Then they can decide what they want to use beyond those formative years.

I have four boys, only my two oldest have hunted (briefly) with rifle. (Mostly so that they could experience, something that doesn't come as easy to using a bow) All of them started shooting as soon as they could say "mine" and take possession of someone else's bow..... All of my boys hunt with traditional gear. My 17 year old continues to come close, but has not harvested yet. He wants his first to be with a bow. Now that, will be an emotional day.

JT

Kirby
12-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Blacktail is right, I started out with a old recurve with a 35# draw at 31# however, because my arms were so short it was great for me to shoot, I shot for years, and got very into archery because of it. if she wants to shoot great, let her, I taught several kids at 5 and 6 years of age to shoot.

Kirby

Fred
01-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Boormans has some elcheapo kids bows. They would be just about right for a youngster that age. You could take her down there and see if she can handle one of them. Fred

sammy99
02-07-2005, 08:37 PM
My son was 2 when he started with a longbow, 3 when he got his first compound, and 4 when he got his Henry 22 rifle. He loves to shoot anything he can get his hands on, and has learned all the essentials of firearm safety along the way. My daughter is 6 and has been shooting a longbow since she was 4. As long as they want to do it, we will provide them with the gear to fit them.:-D

Sam

greybark
02-07-2005, 10:29 PM
:lol: My 5 year old grandson shoots a longbow (made by my friend Marc) and wears a back quiver made by grandpa . On one 3-d shoot we each won a trophy , Him for being the youngest archer and I for being the oldest. On the 3-d course first he arrows the animals then he rides them .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

rock
03-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Well my son shot a smaller recurve bow at about 4 or 5 , he really loved it and told me he was going hunting with it. Now he is a teenager and shoots my bow which is set at 70 pounds, I know he had to train a little bit in order to pull that weight back , but he managed and I admit shoots pretty good. Just remember the younger you start the better it will be.

Bow Walker
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
You can never start kids on the right track to early. If they show interest, then follow it up. Gently, at first, so as not to scare them off. Ease them into it and they will thank you as long as they live. Or you, whichever is pertinent.

Give them and the family something to do as a group. Keeps them away from "bad ka-ka" and instills life long values that will serve them well.

Good luck..........
Dan.