PDA

View Full Version : Caribou anyone?

palmer
12-16-2004, 05:25 PM
I am thinking of going north for a Caribou hunt next year. I am wondering if anybody has any stories,advice, spots or spots not to go. I am thinking of an area around Iskut, but if it gets a bad reveiw...I guess I am free to change. Lets hear those stories...its winter now the time to tell stories.

Canuck2
12-16-2004, 06:00 PM
No help here, Palmer, but I bet it will be a fun hunt. :-)

todbartell
12-16-2004, 07:23 PM
I hunted caribou in 2000 north of Germanson Landing, at the edge of the Spatzizi plateau. Mt Rognas. I didn't get a bull, but my buddy who had an LEH for any-bull got a small one on the opening day of the hunt. In a week of hunting we saw about a dozen caribou, including a few bulls that were close to being legal for the open season.

Alot of the area up there is restricted due to road deactivations as of August 2000, so I am not sure how it is now. :?

My friend's dad took a nice 14x10 bull in Sept of 2003 up near Atlin. They didn't see much game though on that fly-in hunt.

Hope this helps.

palmer
12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks Firebird
Great info, I was wondering what month you went north and did you see any MOOSE..

bone-collector
12-16-2004, 08:56 PM
atlin is a great area for boo, Dan the fellow in my photo gallery shot his #4 book boo up there, if Firebird is refering to the alberts hump area yes they deactivated many roads up there but horseback and quads will still get you a long ways in, when I guided out of black lake a few years ago we saw numerous caribou on the hillside across the lake, and 2 of my good buddies work for kimess mines up there see caribou all the time around the mine area , i dont know what kind of restrictions are on hunting anywere near the mine , you would have to look that up or enquire about it .
Dease lake area also hold caribou , I have never shot 1 there personaly but know of a few coming out of that area , fort nelson also has caribou, regulations again are unknown on hunting them but I have photos of 2 nice bulls up there a couple of years ago

good luck no matter were you go

leftcoast
12-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Palmer I have seen good caribou in the Atlin area as well but that was a few years back. What time of year you going and are you gonna do any fly in or does it have to be from the road?
I never studied Caribou at all so have no tips except that if you jump one and it runs keep an eye out it will probably come back and run around you trying to figger out what you are. They seem to be prety well nuts to me.
Save the hide, incredibly warm.

=keith=

todbartell
12-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks Firebird
Great info, I was wondering what month you went north and did you see any MOOSE..I went in mid August and didn't see a moose the whole trip. http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif I was really suprised.

Oh, and I agree about the caribou being dumber than shit, we had a cow follow us around all day.

palmer
12-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys...ever little bit of info helps...