PDA

View Full Version : Flytyers - which brand of hooks?

Fisher-Dude
05-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I bought some new Mustad 94840 size 12s at Crappy Tire to tie up some chironies. And all weekend I ended up bending my hook back into shape after each fish...and had a whale straighten one and prompty spit it out. It seems the Mustads are really soft now...which is too bad because they used to be the best hook for the dollar. I've tried Diiachis in the past and was unimpressed with their strength.

Which hooks do you flytyers use? I'm looking for strength in fine wire hooks.

Thanks!

Gunner
05-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Mostly Tiemcos,but I've had no problems with the new Mustad chironomid hooks.(I can't remember the number!) 94840'sw are dry fly hooks,and are 1X Fine wire,alittle light for big fish!Gunner

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Yes, those M-94840's are a light-wire dryfly hook but I've never staightened out too many over the years.
Put down that Fiberglass Club Mr. Bill Dance and and get yourself a nice soft graphite setup! Long soft rods are the key to chirony fishing. My fav used to be a Loomis #5 IM6 graphite but they stopped making them and that's the rod that was sacrificed to the fishing gods in the Kettle:-( .

I've always used the mustad hooks but I was starting to change over to Tiemco just before my fishing time was drastically cut back by having kids. Tiemcos are superior hooks with a superior price!

Fishing time should start to increase pretty soon as the kids are getting to that age. Just don't think we'll be "effectively" fishing chironies:lol: . Should be fun nonetheless!

SSS

Franko Manini
05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I am using Tiemco's religiously. On chronies, I likwe to use a 2x heavy. you give up a little bit in the ability to make a thin body, but you gain a faster sinking, stronger fly.

I stopped using Mustads about 3 years ago when Teimco's became widely available locally.

Fisher-Dude
05-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, those M-94840's are a light-wire dryfly hook but I've never staightened out too many over the years.

SSS

Hey Soccer Mom, ya gotta come fishin with me where the trout are big enough to straighten yer hooks! :lol: Them Region 9 tiddlers just don't cut it!

Mustad changed their 94840s a few years back...the shank is about a mm shorter and they seem to have changed the tempering process...the new hooks stay "bronze" coloured, where the older, strong ones go silver after a few fish.

Chuck
05-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I was thinking maybe you're being a bit too rough, but I take that back, because I agree that the Mustad is as you suggest - not what it once was. I haven't tried Tiemco, but am quite happy with Gamakatsu S10-3f fine wire, as couldn't find Tiemco locally.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Reg 9 tiddlers???
Don't make me post more pics of our "tiddlers" over here!

Here's one of the smaller bows that call Reg 9 home.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/image640-copy.jpg

Crap! That was just about a decade ago. They're waaaaaaaay bigger in there now. They're getting 30"+ fish these days built like this one. Almost makes me want to dust off the old rod:-( .

SSS

BlacktailStalker
05-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Tiemco as stated. Gammys for the salt.

Kechika
05-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Definaty Tiemcos

Stone Sheep Steve
05-17-2007, 10:22 AM
F/D-Got any pics of those "Hook-Straighteners" over in your Region?? :smile:

SSS

Gunner
05-17-2007, 11:28 AM
There are no trout in Region 8,only perch & Northern Pike Minnows!!:lol: Regions 3 & 5,now that's different,all those lakes are LOADED with trophy fish,and EVERBODY should try there on the long weekend!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fisher-Dude
05-17-2007, 11:39 AM
F/D-Got any pics of those "Hook-Straighteners" over in your Region?? :smile:

SSS

Yep. 24" last weekend. I got one there 2 years ago that was 8 3/4 lbs.

Don't know how big the one that straightened my hook out was, but I did see one helluva big green back roll on the surface when he said "See ya!"

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Hpim0139.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Right on!8)
I knew you had some hiding in the archives!! Nice bow!
I haven't fished "your corner" of the region since I really learned how to fish. There are some lunkers in them thar hills!!

Makes me want to actually go buy a license (right after bear season of course:)) .

SSS

BCrams
05-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Nice baitfish SSS and FD (is that a kids butterfly net you're using ?? surely you meant 8 3/4" )

I'm a Tiemco and Diachi fan for my flies.

ruger#1
05-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I use mostly Diachis to. Mustads have gone soft.