PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Layout Blind?

longshot
12-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Well, in my hunting spots the birds are starting to get a little too smart for fence and bush line setups now, and goose season is in 2 weeks, and I think its time to get right in the middle and ground level. What would you guys recommend for a layout? I'm 6'2", don't want to be crammed in, and would prefer one that can sit in standing water. In grass I have just laid green burlap over me, which works really well but creates a bit of chaos then trying to poke at the birds last second.

I have sat in a few FA ones at cabelas / wholesale, but they were kinda small, anything that seems to be better then others? How is the cabelas brand?

Longshot jr

Foxton Gundogs
12-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Well, in my hunting spots the birds are starting to get a little too smart for fence and bush line setups now, and goose season is in 2 weeks, and I think its time to get right in the middle and ground level. What would you guys recommend for a layout? I'm 6'2", don't want to be crammed in, and would prefer one that can sit in standing water. In grass I have just laid green burlap over me, which works really well but creates a bit of chaos then trying to poke at the birds last second.

I have sat in a few FA ones at cabelas / wholesale, but they were kinda small, anything that seems to be better then others? How is the cabelas brand?

Longshot jr

I have a Final Approach Pro Guide I'm 6'2" 230 lbs and there is all kinds of room for me and a 60 lb Golden Retriever, the Pro Guide XL is even bigger My one partner is 6'6" 300 lbs and he has lots of room in his XL

BiG Boar
12-05-2015, 11:55 AM
I have three different ones. The little tiny light weight ones that folded right up sucked. The other two gold in half or part way and they are big enough. I have the cabelas one and some other half folder too.

Cdn-Redneck
12-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I have a final approach x-2 and it is a little bit short for me I am 6'2" 230 it is very low profile though. Keep in mind a waterproof bottom also makes it a pool when it is raining out.

longshot
12-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Coolio thanks for the input! Ill hopefully have one soon, the birds decoyed alright this morning but once the light came up they wanted nothing to do with the bushline

Longshotjr.

ACB
12-07-2015, 05:32 PM
I bought a Cabela's Ultimate quite a number of years ago and its still going strong, I believe that is what it was called anyway. It has a waterproof bottom that goes up 8 inches thats tough as nails but Cdn-Redneck is right they hold water really well. If its not raining but the ground is wet you are staying dry and it has a zipper at the end were your feet are so you can have your dog in the blind with you if you want. I personally don't do this because I don't want to be shooting over my dogs head because I don't think it wouldn't take too many shots and your dog wouldn't be hearing too much ( I haven't been able to get him to wear hearing protection yet). So he has his own blind ,Mut Hut 11 always set up just behind or even to me on my left as I shoot right. These blinds are really set up well they have flagging ports, lots of pockets for shells and even a drink holder.

Foxton Gundogs
12-07-2015, 05:54 PM
I bought a Cabela's Ultimate quite a number of years ago and its still going strong, I believe that is what it was called anyway. It has a waterproof bottom that goes up 8 inches thats tough as nails but Cdn-Redneck is right they hold water really well. If its not raining but the ground is wet you are staying dry and it has a zipper at the end were your feet are so you can have your dog in the blind with you if you want. I personally don't do this because I don't want to be shooting over my dogs head because I don't think it wouldn't take too many shots and your dog wouldn't be hearing too much ( I haven't been able to get him to wear hearing protection yet). So he has his own blind ,Mut Hut 11 always set up just behind or even to me on my left as I shoot right. These blinds are really set up well they have flagging ports, lots of pockets for shells and even a drink holder.

My dogs have shared a layout with me for years with no ill effects, the 11yr old can still hear a crumb hit the floor 2 rooms away lol

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Sask%20Trek/d5ca4aa1-b2ea-48e6-ad95-2d46e51596ee.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/Sask%20Trek/d5ca4aa1-b2ea-48e6-ad95-2d46e51596ee.jpg.html)
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Sask%20Trek/s18.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/Sask%20Trek/s18.jpg.html)

mad_mallard
12-07-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm with Foxton on this one.
Same setup ,same dog (same red)
Good control of the pooch.
Way warmer on cold days �� !!!!

Foxtons pics brought back some fond memories and a few tears.

Foxton Gundogs
12-08-2015, 11:28 AM
I get the tears MM this will be the old gals last full season. I have her daughter ready to step in and her grandaughter coming up but it will be a sad day when I have to leave her at home that "what did I do wrong dad" look in her eyes will tear my heart out. Just a point of interest those pix were taken 1 month after she had Major surgery to remove. Mass from he birth canal and spaying and a few days before her 11th birthdaym She's 1 tough dog

ACB
12-08-2015, 11:56 PM
FG Your right it's never easy leaving them at home or the in the truck but I'v had to do that to my old boy water fowling this year. He did really good the hour or two at a time that I had him out going on wild pheasants in Alberta on the red deer river this year even though the numbers were down where we were, mostly wily old roasters he was really shining. His last harrah. If he caught their scent they were in trouble. But now he just doesn't get the joke when he has to stay home, he'll be twelve in Feb. and just can't do it anymore. Once their really good their old and thats the sad thing.