PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Jacket

BCKID
12-16-2004, 03:37 PM
What do you wear for a jacket when you are hunting? I have tried a few different jackets but I have not found what suits me yet. I put on one of those Gray wool underwear first, then a shirt of some sort, then a fleece, then a jacket. I tried a lined jean jacket, a outback jacket, and a heavy lined shirt or another Grey wool. The outback was not very good. I felt like I was wearing a plastic bag. I think the best was just the Grey wool. I hunt late in the year, temp is 0 to -15 C and I like to climb mountains. I have yet to try those gortex ones. The trouble with mountain climbing is you have a good workout and then you are all sweaty when you get to the top and want to take it easy for a while. Any tips? What works for you? BCKID

Steeleco
12-16-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't hunt in the conditions you described "all the time" but I wear a Browning fleece zipper coat. My Wife bought it for me last year. It's teflon treated and works great, keeps the water out very well. As far as cold I layer with a couple of T shirts and a fleece vest on top of those. Santa better bring me the pants and gators to match the jacket or I'll stop sending him cookies!!!!!!!!!!!

MB_Boy
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
This is just my opinion....get rid of the wool and substitute some polar fleece type materials in it's place, as it doesn't help wick moisture out or dry quickly if you are getting sweaty. I usually start with a good pair of long underwear tops and bottoms, and IMO it pays to get the good stuff. From there, just layer away, but again IMO stay with the technical fibres if you are doing a lot of hiking and climbing. One of the guys I hunt with says the worst thing you can wear in cold weather is "killer cotton"....you need fabrics that are going to wick away the moisture from your skin, but on the outside you want a quiet fabric with some insulation, and something that will break the wind is great. I have not bought a new hunting jacket in a few years, but I have looked at a number of different ones through Cabela's. Some guys will probably be able to steer you in the right direction with particular models etc, but from a fabric standpoint I think that is what you want to do.....again....just my opinion. That has kept me warm and dry hunting for deer in MB when it can be down in the -25 range in November.....the temp where you don't want to still hunt....you want to keep moving so "the boyz" don't shift up into your stomach....lol

The other thing to remember is everyone is different...different circulation and thresholds for the cold. My Dad when we are hunting in Nov is always layered up with cotton and wool as he is "old school" and if we take a break in the day to warm up in the truck he is always trying to get some layers dried out if there has been a lot of walking....or if lucky enough, dragging ;)

BCKID
12-16-2004, 04:37 PM
get rid of the wool and substitute some polar fleece type materials in it's place, as it doesn't help wick moisture out or dry quickly if you are getting sweaty.
I did try the base layer stuff that is supposed to wick but found I was warmer with the wool. I agree about the killer cotton. Thanks BCKID

bone-collector
12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
well 3 cases of wool Vs other material in winter conditions that I have documented over the years from locals

1- trapper fell through the ice @ -25 degrees outside wearing wool pants and jacket, sox toque etc, made a 17km walk after getting out and only suffered minor frost bite to fingers and nose area.(decker lake BC)
2- logger goes through ice in a toyota pick-up crossing a ice bridge well after dark, walked 8 kms back to the logging camp with no injuries other than pride -30 outside that night on babine lake(babine lake BC)
3- snowmobiler goes through ice on sled at night -18 outside , found on ice 1km from accident in severe hypothermia wearing a 700 dollar snowmobile suit lined with fleece , fleece was frozen solid retaining no heat sourse for the victim(fish lakes BC)

wool may not detour sweat as well as some products do but you can buy various thicknesses of wool clothing to suit the activity you are doing , not to mention wool is truly dead silent in the bush , and yes I have 3 pairs of heavy duty wool pants a couple of wool jackets and piles of wool sox , all i will hunt in especialy in late fall when we start getting snow and ice on ponds, never know what may happen , also pack my GSAR vest in my truck for if I plan on hiking anywere, I could light up vancouver with the amount of firestarter I have in that thing another good topic maybe we could start a thread on :idea:

leftcoast
12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Ya, wool is where it is at. the really good stuff is damned near water proof. There is a brand from New Zealand that some say is so tight knit it is water proof and i can't remeber the name right now. I used to buy military surplus wool. the Melton drss pants were unreal. Cut them with scissors and you couldn't rip the cut any further.

I can't afford wool anymore and I have outgrown what i did have so i have some of the fleece stuff and it is okay but it is not wool. Some people like silk long johns.

Goretex is far too expensive for what it is. It is not waterproof.

It is raining here most of the time and I quit worrying about quiet. i just put on the full suit and stay dry. I move real slow. If there is a howler it doesn't matter.

My brother used to just put on a suit of wool longhandles and rain gear over top.

=keith=

bone-collector
12-16-2004, 09:01 PM
well Keith you get up this way and we will suit you up again in wool , good pants are about 40 dollars-50 dollars a pair and jackets are about 75 dollars if you can find either pant or coat in stock

leftcoast
12-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Bones, you got a military surplus store up there?

=keith=

huntersdad
12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Hey guys
THis topic is just like binos.........compromise. Every area and type of hunting requires it own type of gear.

I own a Browning Hydrofleece Unlined jacket and Pants for most duties..
A Unlined Gortex Jacket as a shell..
A 1960's Timberking Wool jacket and a pair of Heavy Duty wool pants
A oilskin slicker...
I prefer to layer with teeshirt, then Stanfield or Wool sweater.
These cover me from Sept. thru to -20 in Nov. The wetter it is ,I go for more of the Goretex to Oilskin. The colder it is , the more wool I put on.

love the woods
12-17-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey Guys Dont Forget About That Foodsaver In Your Cupboard.you Can Put Socks,hats And Gloves In The Bags.take Those Items And Put Them In The Bag ,add A Book Of Matches Remove The Air.this Bag Will Reduce To The Size Of Your Fist.this Will Be Waterproof For As Long As You Hunt.leave It In The Bottom Of Your Pack,could Save Your Life One Day.after Reading About The Guys Falling Thru The Ice , I Thiought I Would Throw That In.

3kills
12-17-2004, 09:10 AM
i dont wear jackets usually just wear two sweatshirts or a t shirt under a sweat shirt dependin on how cold it is that morning..but i always carry and extra shirt with me just incase...

Thunderstix
12-17-2004, 10:23 AM
http://graywolfwoolens.com
When I can afford it, this company will most likely be supplying my next hunting outfit. I will be getting the double knees and butt in the pants. I might even get me one of those wool Kromer hats.

BCKID
12-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I like the looks of that Wolf skin stuff. Thanks for the link. BCKID

MB_Boy
12-17-2004, 04:22 PM
The Wolf Skin stuff does look really good, but it certainly isn't cheap !!

BCKID
12-19-2004, 10:36 AM
good pants are about 40 dollars-50 dollars a pair and jackets are about 75 dollars if you can find either pant or coat in stock
Bone-Collector: Where do you get the wool jackets you mentioned? I got some nice wool pants at Surplus Herbie's in Williams Lake for about $50.00 but no jackets. BCKID

bone-collector
12-19-2004, 10:51 AM
hey BCkid, you can usualy find them in a mens work wear world store, or any clothing store that sells logging clothing (cork boots etc)

houndogger
12-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Does some of that tighter wool keep the wind out?

huntersdad
12-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Hey Guys
Workwear World has all kinds of effective winter wear. I found my old wool jacket at a Salvation Army store, so always keep your eyes open for quality used items. I bought my woolies in Port Hardy in 1984 for $70.00 included suspenders and tax .20 years later I still have them but they are a little tighter around the middle. A small investment that has paid off as I wont need to buy another pair again. :-)

leftcoast
12-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Houndogger, some of the good quality wool stuff will stop most of the wind. When I had wool i always tried to have an overjacket for windbreak. Got one here somewhere my ex made out of white canvas with a hood. I had her make it for wolf hunting in the winter but I liked it so much I wore it for everything and the white ain't.

=keith=

Thunderstix
12-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Hey Guys
Workwear World has all kinds of effective winter wear. I found my old wool jacket at a Salvation Army store, so always keep your eyes open for quality used items. I bought my woolies in Port Hardy in 1984 for $70.00 included suspenders and tax .20 years later I still have them but they are a little tighter around the middle. A small investment that has paid off as I wont need to buy another pair again. :-)

Unless they shrink a little too much :smile:

huntersdad
12-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey Stix
The pants didnt shrink, the gut got bigger :grin:

Deer_Hunter101
12-26-2004, 01:32 PM
i wear a browning gortex jacket. and usually i'll wear a fleace liner or a sweat top under it. thats my favourite hunting jacket. it's not heavy, so it lets movement, but has lots of pockets and protection from the elements.

depending on the weather. I find that most hunters tend to over dress and are steaming to remove clothing after a halfhour of walking through the woods (or wherever there hiking to there favourite spot).

Archive
01-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Try 3 Vets out West 8th and Yukon. They have the canadian made wool cruiser jackets for $175-225 and if you talk to the right ppl and they like you, cash prevails. Doesn't hurt to go a little after noon when they are compiling the lunch orders and offer to drive either. Wink wink nudge nudge.

I dress for the weather. Wool/cotton for campfire/cooking. I wear coolmax/spandex/polypro/hot chili/dri-fit items as a base. Fleece goes second, lightweight 1st and a second heavy if cold. Third layer is a Northface shell, no lining. Topped with German version of CADPAT.

Layered like this you can peel it all off down to your base if working thru deadfalls in the sun, packs up into a softball size for the pack. No crinkley noise from gortex, relatively water proof, lightweight, modular. I have been complaint free down to -37C dry conditions, and rainstorm turn hailstorm to about -10C.

I just gave my cruiser away, too tight. I don't like wool in the rain or when covering lots of ground (sweat or freeze).

Walksalot
01-23-2005, 09:44 AM
I thought wool was windproof until I started hunting from a tree stand. I have a wind proof jacket I bought from Wal Mart but I keep it in my pack until I absolutely need it. Simply, it makes to much noise for bowhunting.

My first layer is polyester sweats bottom and top and the top has a hood which I can pull over my head if need be. I also carry an extra sweat shirt in my pack in case it gets really cold I add it as an extra layer. If really cold and windy I will wear nylon track pants over the polyester sweats, tree stand hunting only. For the rest of my upper body I have a nylon lined polyester vest and if need be I reluctantly put on the wind proof breathable jacket. I have a red and black Mackinaw coat which was very good but a few pounds extra rendered it a little tight.

I have seen guys hunting in clothing which makes me shudder for if they were forced to spend a night or two in the woods in incement weather they might very well end up in a bad way.

BCKID
01-31-2005, 06:27 PM
I found a wool jacket at Canadian Tire this week [Columbia sportswear] 1/2 price. Got it for $64.00. It has the map pocket in back, two front pockets with hand warmer and a small pocket chest hight, good for GPS or radio. BCKID

sawmill
02-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I`m too poor to buy fancy gortex stuff.I wear a long sleeve t shirt,gray wool shirt ,and one of those army green Ironhorse lined work coats(huge pockets)and long johns,and wool logging pants (gray)Bonus is it`s actually really effective camo as well.Go figure?

zedex
03-09-2005, 11:38 PM
I start with polar fleese long johns, wool pants from army surplus store(grey),i wear a thin camo shell over those from wally world. Upper i wear an undershirt, Green wool army sweater from the surplus store, and a camo jacket from wally world over that. When its really cold i wear another camo jacket over the first camo jacket from wally world.

My quad does most of the hard work so my sweating is usually minimal.