PDA

View Full Version : Aliens Licencing

Flying Scot
05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I went hunting with family (cousins) for the first time last year.
Having enjoyed the experience I will be returning again this year. The 27 hour trip is hardly the normal flight you would take more frequently.
Is it possible for visitors from the UK to hunt in BC?
There are obvious problems with CORE and this type of activity is very difficult to take part in here.
Any advice will be appreciated..

kutenay
05-10-2007, 04:14 PM
You MUST be guided by a Assistant Guide employed by a bona-fide Guide-Outfitter and can hunt ONLY in his concession. There ARE certain familial relationships, i.e., father-in-law, nephew, that will allow alien non-residents to be accompanied by a BC resident hunter for SOME, not all, species and this is strictly regulated.

All Canadian firearms laws MUST be complied with, however, this is fairly simple IF you have the appropriate relative(s) living here. The "regs"spell this out in detail.

B.C. hunting is quite pricey for non-resident aliens and this is likely to get worse as fewer animals are allowed in G-O's annual harvest quotas. Sorry, the news really ain't that good.

Chuck
05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Not dissimilar to the laws in Scotland when I was there 40 odd years ago. All we were permitted to hunt/shoot were wood pigeons, however I was permitted my own loaner gun for that occasion, a Damascus barreled 12 bore of unknown vintage. It was also permitted to hunt the shore line only for sea loving birds like Curlew. Other than that all we could do was "beat" for the Laird and his hunting party. Interesting experience none the less. I would have enjoyed sharing some "shooting" talk with the elite and examined their guns - but I wasn't permitted. Oh well, just not good enough I guess.

Flying Scot
05-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info but I'm afraid this won't put me off the trips.
I guess I will only be the gofer..gofer the firewood, gofer the water and be the tent erecter.
Still this is better than not going at all. It is still a great reason for a holiday in your wonderful country.
I will just have to settle for the interesting discussions on your forum and live in envy of you lucky people.
Thanks again..

kutenay
05-11-2007, 07:16 AM
The best alternative is to immigrate to B.C., a part of Canada with considerable Scots heritage, as is the case with the entire country.

You would be welcome and if I can assist you in this endeavour, assuming you might want to do so, I would be happy to. Most folks from the U.K. like it here after a few months of aclimatizing, so, this is what I would consider if I were you.

Then, you can hunt as you wish, but, at present, you may only hunt upland game such as Grouse, etc.

Flying Scot
05-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Don't tempt me..it wouldn't take much.
I visited in October 06 and have already booked flights for this year.
Unfortunately there aint much call for 40 somethings unless they have plenty of cash to spend or some strange skills to offer.
Telling immigration that you fancy a career in hunting wouldn't hold up.

Chuck
05-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Don't tempt me..it wouldn't take much.
I visited in October 06 and have already booked flights for this year.
Unfortunately there aint much call for 40 somethings unless they have plenty of cash to spend or some strange skills to offer.
Telling immigration that you fancy a career in hunting wouldn't hold up.

It isn't all that bad! Show me a Scot who doesn't have a trade and I'll show you an Irishman who'se never heard of the Blarney stone. Hunting here is like sitting in the pub over there - it's what we do when we aren't working. Actually it is a little bit more important than sitting in the pub imo.

Walksalot
06-18-2007, 08:57 AM
I am taking this guy on a deer hunt and he is taking me on a hunt for critters in his neck of the woods.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/walksalot/Alien.bmp
We will be hunting these little buggers. I will be packing my 30-06. Do you guys think it is to much gun?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/walksalot/untitled.bmp

Mr. Dean
06-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't have the regs right now but I beleive that an alien family member can hunt any game species as long as it's GOS and is accompanied by a resident (BC) family member (acting as a 'guide' of sorts). There are hulla hoops to jump through but for you to be able to hunt here, isn't impossible.

IF I got my facts straight.

Here's a link to our Hunting Regulations. sift through it and see if you can find what you're looking for.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm

Good luck!

Chuck
06-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey Walksalot....Wish I was going with you, those hybrid (blueye) Gnurffles of central Asia sure are tough to sneak up on I've been told. As for 30-06 being okay, I would suggest something that shoots flatter, faster and maybe a bit lighter. I've read that they aren't that hard to put down, just have to get that pill way out there and connect before they see it coming. Will you be going on horseback and staying in those yurts with native girl guides?

Walksalot
06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Chuck, my wife says if I value my life I think the girls are out.

Chuck
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
That's okay Walksalot, then I take it you'll be guided by your buddy and camping with him? Well be sure to take your night vision gear, as he's definitely a night time person imo. And of course the Gnurffles are a semi nocturnal species. I understand that there is a horn limit on them, but can't remember what it is. Oh ya! about the rifle...I found out that they prefer foreigners to bring the trusty 6.5X55, or they can supply them if you don't own one. Good Luck!