PDA

View Full Version : Argo or Quad ????

peterb
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
l am looking at buying an Argo for my dad and myself, does anyone have a argo and how do you like it. Pros and cons.
Thanks
Pete

todbartell
05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
cons - slow and expensive

pros - go just about anywhere

I inherited an older 8x8 Argo, but dont use it

Barracuda
05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
how old? would you sell it?

todbartell
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
mid 80s or so? sure Id sell it

Mr. Dean
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Argo is a dedicated work horse. It isn't something that you jump on for a ride in the hills... A quad is more of a multi-purpose machine,,, but won't go where the Argo can.

I think you need one of each...

Allen50
05-07-2007, 11:47 PM
how much for the Argo and where do you live, what model is it, just woundering..

7mmag
05-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Wich one is the better rock crawler\hill climer? I know the argo is better in the swamps and bogs, but is it realy more capable in mountains?

Barracuda
05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
for fsr a quad is a better choice . to really enjoy a 6x6 or an 8x8 you must really enjoy the idea of them or have a need for them for the terrain they excell in (soft ground & bogs) . They are quirky and unconventional but really interesting to certain people(loony birds) the quad is far more usefull for the average person.

I have a 6x6 and i can say that if i didnt enjoy the concept and principle of it i would have a quad .

Rock Doctor
05-08-2007, 12:43 PM
I have both...........well actually, I have two of both (Now, before anyone starts thinking " Oh Ya, Mr Bigshot has two of everything" please understand that NOTHING that I have is NEW, and was NOT new when I got it), I'm actually in the process of rebuilding my 6 wheel Argo right now.
I think that Mr Dean said it best so far

Mr. Dean;
Argo is a dedicated work horse. It isn't something that you jump on for a ride in the hills... A quad is more of a multi-purpose machine,,, but won't go where the Argo can.

I think you need one of each...

I would like to add that the load an ARGO will haul is unequilled by any other machine out there. Two whole moose in one load..... No problem. 2 50gal bbls full of fuel.... again no problem.
Also very hard to roll, they will climb hills with a load that a quad could never dream of.

Some more cons...low clearance, but I have never had too much of a problem in this area. Also they are kind of a rough ride. And finally, it is a very great advantage to you if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, not so much for breakdowns, as just general maintenance.

7mmag;
Wich one is the better rock crawler\hill climer? I know the argo is better in the swamps and bogs, but is it realy more capable in mountains?
YES, If you are refering to there ability to climb, haul, pull, or swim. I have installed trailer hitches on the back of my quad trailers now, and if I have a particularily large load to take someplace I just pull two trailers. I can tell you that you get alot of looks when driving a "Super B" down the trail8) .

RD

Stresd
05-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Have had an 8 Wheeler for 7 years now. Has hauled a heck of a lot of game out. Including my buddies when he couldn't get his 800 Polaris to haul his game up and out of the ravine. Has never let me down or stranded in all the time I have spent in the bush with her. Put some tracks on one and nothing stops it. Hard to believe what they are capable of until you have actually used one. The quad and Argo are different in that Argo is a work horse and is not suited to go road hunting or touring on the FS roads whereas this is where the quads shine. But if you need to get game out of the bush or drag your camp 15 miles into the bush and be able to still come out with your game and supplies in one load. then the argo is for you.

bearheart
04-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Will an Argo with tracks handle deep snow? I am looking to get one thing to do two jobs (snowmobile and quad) I am looking for utility not "fun". Also not in a big hurry, just want to get there. Trying to gain year round access to my mountain cabin (deep snow and now patcjhes of deep snow in shady areas,too deep for truckand chains, and dry or muddy road elsewhere.

RiverOtter
04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
What is the price of a new 8x8 efi?
I've e-mailed a couple dealers now and never get a response.

Maybe it's classified........

Elkhound
04-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I have both...........well actually, I have two of both (Now, before anyone starts thinking " Oh Ya, Mr Bigshot has two of everything" please understand that NOTHING that I have is NEW, and was NOT new when I got it), I'm actually in the process of rebuilding my 6 wheel Argo right now.

Never apoligize Kyle. So you have two. You worked for them, and probably did without on a few other things to get them. Good on ya.

bcsteve
04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I like mine, It's the perfect moose hunting vehicle. You can bring a couple buddies along to go exploring, you don't get dirty driving in mud, goes anywhere and hauls you moose back.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc37b3127cceb57adc32ce7300000026103AcuGbFk2ZI
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc37b3127cceb57adf9e0f7600000026103AcuGbFk2ZI

moosecaller
04-05-2008, 08:32 PM
I got this one off Todd Bartell it needed work to get it into shape but I had a lot of fun doing the rebuild. And it will go anywhere and pack one hell of a load.

http://usera.imagecave.com/moosecaller/IMG_0532.jpg

hunter1947
04-06-2008, 06:01 AM
I have a friend that had an Argo a few years back ,you really can't compare the two for each of the two fit into there own category. Quad faster ,Argo slower ,Argo will go more places then a quad will in different places.

Pioneerman
04-06-2008, 06:57 AM
I have owned two 8 wheel argos and over a dozen atv's, and they both have their place. The argo was heavier ,wider, slower, louder, but it floats and can climber very well, and pack a big load along with extra people. In many cases it could climb better than the atv when it was a steep grade maybe winding through the trees, but the atv would do better on most hills as it can get a little speed up before trying to climb, if the situation will allow for speed. I found the argo would be dragging and get high centered very easily, but most times some wheels would catch and pull you off a high spot, but if it was rocks it would leave plastic behind on the rocks as it scratched over them. Tracks on either of them make them all that much better, and are a great asset. I didn't have tracks on my argo, but do for the atv, and it will go virtually anywhere, except in deep water. That is where the argo wins. Both had good points and I would like to have all the toys, but I stuck with the atv.

bearheart
04-06-2008, 08:45 AM
I want to use this for travelling an unserviced forest road year round and moving around old skidder trails near my cabin. Toting my wife and stuff(gas cans, supplies etc) and maybe retrieving game, not going into gnarly places like atv guys like to do. Has anyone experience with tracks on their atv in deep wet snow?

bcsteve
04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Go have a look at www.6x6world.com (http://www.6x6world.com) for all your Argo questions and see what they can do. Lots of good videos.

Slime green cat
04-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Have you considered a Rhino ?? http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=2400&class=56&group=R|&LANG=en

I have one and its a great machine ... it will out climb a quad with its longer wheelbase and haul most anything in its dumpbox and carry a passenger in comfort and safety unlike on the back of a quad ...
As the others have said, if you need to cross water and hunt in lots of bogs and swamps then the Argo is the only choice, but if you want to explore deactivated fsr's at a reasonable speed and cover alot of ground with a plush and comfortable ride ... go with the quad or Rhino . :smile:

RiverOtter
04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
So, does anyone know what a new 8x8 efi costs? Ball park???

eric
04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
15-20 grand :eek:

FlyingHigh
04-06-2008, 06:19 PM
ouch. ok forget it. i'm buying a quad.

bcsteve
04-06-2008, 08:33 PM
15-20 grand :eek:

More like 20-25:(

Barracuda
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
They are a 1/3 cheaper in the US (Yes i know they are made here)

Angel
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I have been looking to buy a new or used quad for a little while now and yes they are extremely expensive:eek:..... does anyone hunt with a Mule?? how are they in your opinion? for me im leaning towards a quad tho.

riflebuilder
04-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I just sold my 6x6 argo with tracks. They are great in the right conditions but I prefere a quad for general use.

cassiarkid
04-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I have hunted with an Argo since 1980 and have gone almost everywhere with them. The older models would tend to breakdown a fair amount, but the new ones are pretty reliable. We have totally customized ours. Rollbars, 8000lb warn winch, dual batteries, custom racks, etc. I have attached a picture to show what they can do. We had over 2000lb of gear & animals on it, eventhough they are only rated for 1000lbs! We did stretch our chains though and they did have to be replaced. In this picture we had 2 moose and 2 caribou and all our gear about 40 kilometers from the nearest road! We boned out the two caribou and the fronts of one moose, then we had the six quarters of the remaining moose intact. We also have quads and you can't really compare the two. If you want to go off the beaten track and bring back some game, buy an Argo. If you want to travel the forestry roads and hunt on the trails, buy a quad.

Cheers

Garred

cassiarkid
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Here is the next year, with two record book bull moose on board. Again, probably over 2000lb of payload. The footprint of an Argo is also a lot easier on mother nature than a quad.

Cheers

bcsteve
04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Cool pictures cassiar, thanks for sharing.

Angel
04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
definatly a cool looking machine but they seem too big and like they wouldnt be a very comfortable ride.... but they carry alot.

Phil
04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Holy smack patty wack! Those are huge loads!!! I guess they won't float with that kind of payload.

cassiarkid
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
No floating with those type of loads. They are not the greatest in the water anyways. Good to get across a small swamp or river, but we usually travelled with the drain plugs out, as they fill up with water if you leave them in. As far as comfort goes, they arent too bad, depends what you have on for tires and how good your driver is. They definitely have their place, but you should not be compare them with a quad, the two machines are both useful in different ways. In a perfect word a guy would have one of each. If you are willing to spend $20-25 grand, I would spend it on the Triton (made out of Sask) instead of an Argo. The triton is a hydrostatic drive eight wheeler. This means power to both sides at all times, unlike an argo which brakes one side when you turn. It has a hydraulic motor for each side, and I believe it comes in a diesel as well as a gas model. Only if I had an extra $25 thou lyin' around!
Cheers

Stresd
04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
No floating with those type of loads. They are not the greatest in the water anyways. Good to get across a small swamp or river, but we usually travelled with the drain plugs out, as they fill up with water if you leave them in.

Agreed that they are slower than heck running in water with just the wheels. Manual says water payload is only 1000 lbs but I think we have had a wee bit more than that in her. Mine spends a lot of time in the lakes as we fish out of her on our hunting trips as well as hauling moose. All Argo 8's have a boat motor mount that my manual says will take a 9 horse.:shock: I have a 4 stroke 2 horse Honda that works fantastic on her. Really moves you along. Has the short leg and I dont have to raise or even touch the motor when running on land. Going to run a plug in cable system to the rear so I can run the trolling motor off the argo battery. I changed all my axle seals when I first bought her and she doesn't leak a drop over seven years later. Installed a bilge pump just in case. Sure gets you into the lakes where no one else has been and there is always a rifle or two in the racks when fishing a lake. Have to dig up some pic's.

07-16-2008, 07:33 PM
I found this thread using the search. I am looking at these machines too.

Maple Ridge Motorsports is selling a new 2008 ARGO AVENGER EFI 750cc for $19699. I found a 6x6 480cc in the states for $9699 (also new). But I also found some leftover Suzuki Eiger 4x4s for $3899!

I like the idea of the Argo because I could take my family and my wheelchair too. How fast do Argos go? What is the fuel consumption like, I mean how far on a tank (and what sized tank)?

BigBanger
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Ive been in a few argos . Ive never been in a fast one but they all seemed strong and fun

07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I know they are slow, but how slow? Do they cruise at 20 km/h? Do they cruise at all?

07-16-2008, 08:08 PM
What about the Max II or Max IV? The Max IIs are listed for $7050 and have a t20 skid steer tranny. The specs say 25-40mph top speed, depending on tires. The Max IVs start at $7995.

bcsteve
07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I know they are slow, but how slow? Do they cruise at 20 km/h? Do they cruise at all?

I depends on the model but max speed on land is rated at between 32 and 39 km/h. I got to test it with my GPS one of these days. I bought my Argo from Maple Ridge Motorsports last year.

Barracuda
07-16-2008, 09:04 PM
What about the Max II or Max IV? The Max IIs are listed for $7050 and have a t20 skid steer tranny. The specs say 25-40mph top speed, depending on tires. The Max IVs start at $7995.

the max has no low range and is more of a toy rather the a work horse. the T20 is not as smooth to operate and all the stuff about the T20 claiming to be a better trans is hype. as for prices I say purchas in the US . it will be a third less even though it is a Canadian product

Stresd
07-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I found this thread using the search. I am looking at these machines too.

I like the idea of the Argo because I could take my family and my wheelchair too. How fast do Argos go? What is the fuel consumption like, I mean how far on a tank (and what sized tank)?

My 8, an 1989 model has an overgrown Lawnmower engine, 18 horse Kohler that seems to run forever on a tank of gas. I have never had to refill the tank, be it a 10 day hunt or a long weekend with the kids running it everyday all day long. 32 litre, (7imp), (8.4 US Gal) Has 2 forward, a neutral and reverse gears. Not a speed demon at only 35Kph but a real work horse. She has carried Moose out of areas that My buds couldn't even begin to get their Polaris Quads into. Very smooth riding compared to a quad over the rough stuff as you have 8 wheels spanning the rough stuff.. The tires are the only suspension and I run mine at 3.5 - 4 psi (ie) will travell over a 3 ft diameter by 3 ft deep hole at an idle or full speed and you would even know the hole was there. Really smooths out those meadow moguls. The newer models are much easier and nicer to drive and I would recommend you get the 8 and not the 6 because of the carrying capacity.