PDA

View Full Version : Nanaimo deer tracking project

BCWF
10-01-2015, 04:32 PM
http://www.cheknews.ca/nanaimo-deer-tracking-project-116837/

Attaching tracking collars on animals isn’t new, but now BC Conservation Officers in Nanaimo are hoping smaller, hidden devices might help them catch poachers red-handed.

“Urban hunting in Nanaimo has been an issue. We’ve actually caught people doing it and achieved some significant fines, hunting suspensions and even forfeiture of vehicles. It’s still an ongoing issue and it’s a serious public safety risk as far as we’re concerned so we decided to some up with some unique steps as it were to try to combat it,” Conservation Officer Stuart Bates told CHEK News.

Officers from Nanaimo and Port Alberni, along with two provincial wildlife veterinarians and biologists, have now tranquilized several deer in the Nanaimo area but will not say exactly how many.

“Some of the deer we’re capturing will be collared, some of them will have implantable tags and there’s other varieties of electronic devices that I’m not going to go into great detail about that we will be hooking some deer up with,” added Bates.

The hidden tracking devices are likely to be the most successful.

“If a deer is shot illegally in Nanaimo, there is a good possibility we’ll see it doing 80km/hr down the highway on the computer. So therefore if the deer gets harvested and the hunter tries to tell me he shot it 40km from here, he’s going to have a hard time explaining that to the court,” said Bates.

aggiehunter
10-01-2015, 09:17 PM
and all that money spent while people are whacking them legally under a depredation permit....so what do you really want people....

The Hermit
10-01-2015, 11:45 PM
The permits are issued for a specific number of deer to be taken from specified properties that are deemed safe and suitable by the authorities... so Aggie its a BIG difference. Everyone is looking for a solution to urban deer and the new program is but one part of a solution and I like it!

Spy
10-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Now if they could do the same with elk in the poaching hot spots. Why spend $$$ on deer that are a urban problem and not a conservation concern. They should be issuing more cull permits in the surrounding areas or create more hunting opportunities to keep numbers in check. Elk poaching is a way bigger problem , or maybe they already know who is poaching them and their hands are tied !

wideopenthrottle
10-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Now if they could do the same with elk in the poaching hot spots. Why spend $$$ on deer that are a urban problem and not a conservation concern. They should be issuing more cull permits in the surrounding areas or create more hunting opportunities to keep numbers in check. Elk poaching is a way bigger problem , or maybe they already know who is poaching them and their hands are tied !

it kinda seem like they care more about the public safety aspect than catching poachers...

Peter Pepper
10-02-2015, 10:32 PM
I guess they have manpower and money to burn. Or maybe this is just a bluff.
Personally I could take a deer here with a apple in one hand and a hammer in the other.
They often run up to me when I get out of the truck to see if I have any food for them. The neighbours feed them.
I even had one waltz up to me last year while I was butchering a deer in the yard.
Also had one come into my garage (through the people door, not the big car door) while I was inside noisily working on something.
I don't care if people are taking them out if they have a yard big enough to use a bow in. I wish I did. Shooting a gun in town, not so much, but I don't think anybody could get away with that anyway.