PDA

View Full Version : halibut hunting

480ruger
05-02-2007, 12:05 AM
i am heading out to shearwater,from bella coola mid may to try some halibut fishing. anyone fished these waters before,if so where are the hot spots,and good marinas to buy feul etc...i usually fish around port hardy or the west coast with good catches but i moved here to williams lake,and trying some new waters this year.

Mr. Dean
05-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Can't help ya out on the Hali's in Bella Coola. I've never fished it. How about a couple honey holes for Moose around Bill's Swamp?

I've never hunted there either. :lol:

Whats the name of your boat. I fish PH regularly

thatskindafunny
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Ok, been working on a fisheries patrol vessel out of Bella Bella for 18 years. So, you will take fuel in Shearwater but not the water. You should check out the little store there first as their veggies are sometimes more of a selection. Good eggs. After that you head over to Waglisla (the new Bella Bella) for water and up to the Band store for everything else. Tuesday morning is the best as they get their freight in late Sunday night. They fly fresh veggies in Thursday or Friday also. If you drink pale ale beer you better bring lots as both the liquor store in Shearwater and Bella Bella only have Alexander Keith's. Hope your bringing a reliable boat or you should bring a fat wallet as prices in Shearwater are.... ouch!!!! Now I thought I heard on the news that the new ferry that supplies the store is in on an unschedule refit. Bring lots of everything. Did you mention halibut? Ok, Burke Channel just up from Fitz Hugh in about 25- 30 fathoms is good for halibut. Both sides of the channel. Hmmm don't be surpirsed if your buzz bombing with a 5 inch blue buzz bomb to catch a big spring. Oh well they are good eating too. If you got the time then anyware out by Cape Mark down to Cultus Sound where it looks good could be good. Halibut are like gold. Where you find them. Oh and if your going by Neekas Inlet drop your crab traps in 7 - 12 fathoms of water. Good luck.

480ruger
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
sounds like the info i am looking for, i just bought a new 18 ft harbercraft,with 90 hp yamaha 4stroke and a 8 hp yam kicker,the feul economy should be good. my last boat was a 24ft bayliner and it liked the gas....also running lowrance 525c df gps with navionics charts for the coast

thatskindafunny
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Hmm, and you have heard of the "hill" down into Bella Coola? Automatic trans and you better use your lowest gear or by the time you get to the bottom you'll have no brakes. And for another tip about the fishing..... You'll only get and hour either side of the tide for jigging. If it's windy .... good luck.