PDA

View Full Version : Well the season is over, best memory?

Kirby
12-10-2004, 07:23 PM
The question goes for all of you, whats your best memory from this season?

After the sun had gone down and I was walking out, for the final time(with deer anyways) for the year I started to think about the past season, and even with my bull, a nice white tail buck, and lots of good times, one memory really stands out, for the past two years I had missed the hunting season completly, and the openning day this year I was sick as a dog, and wasn't able to even walk upright, but being a complety idiot, I went hunting anyways, I spent my openning morning curled up behind a stump throwing up, and yet, it is the one memory from this season that really stands out, and I would do it again in a heart beat.
So whats your best memory?

Kirby

bone-collector
12-10-2004, 08:14 PM
hmm thats a tuff question.... I guess the most memorable time was my moose hunt with anphibious and my son Chris (aka Shadow)
when we heard the bulls fighting and started moving to get into position (and myself just getting out of the hospital and anphib with a badly damaged knee) I thought I had gone past were the moose was coming out as I heard what sounded like running behind me out of the bush, as I whirled around it was Chris doing the ben johnson to catch up to me...no way in hell he wasnt going to be presant from this :lol: , as most already know we had been chatting with a guide buddy and his hunter (who already had a moose) so by this time my buddy and his hunter had started down the road to watch the show, when I stroked that bull with the 458 on the run he just went arse over teakettle :lol: , the next moment I recall is my buddies hunter running up to me and saying
WHAT IN THE F#K DID YOU SHOOT THAT MOOSE WITH :lol:

I did shoot him again to avoid his attempts at getting into the swamp which was rather deep and cold looking . another memory from that was the fact myself and anphib were in no shape to be gutting and loading that dam thing eaither but we did manage with Chris's help and for that it will always sit as a high priority memory in my hunting career

my second memory comes from a new friendship with a fellow named Anand , he is originaly 1 of foxers buddies from down south, and realy wanted his first moose bad, so I agreed to take him out and help him, that guy learned the hard way not all moose hunting is easy but to see the look on his face when he finaly got up to the downed moose and relized how big they truly are was PRICLESS :lol:

oldtimer
12-10-2004, 08:54 PM
I gues my best memory this season is just being out with my family, wether with my son chris and grandson michael or with my son chris and my dad. 3 and 4 generations out hunting--pretty cool! oh yeah seeing 2 cougars chase a deer one morning was neat as well. Mike

todbartell
12-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Best memory from this fall would be the excellent bird shoot with Amphibious and two buddies. We really cleaned house. :cool: 16 geese and thirty ducks.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/16Incoming-med.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/13Picture_101-med.jpg

rrfred
12-10-2004, 10:07 PM
A few moments stick out for me, was a gimp this fall, hunted at reduced level with my little 7 as couldnt carry my usual stuff, connected on a mulie buck, "bumped" into a cougar and we agreed to go our seperate ways without any problems, and called a big coyote in while grunting in the rut, took him at 200 + yds,went ass over teakettle, big doggy but stunk like, ya know....only 3 1/2 months til bear season.........
oh yes, and most of all -dedicated the year to dad - an old ww2 vet. who passed on this spring. -my handle is the ol' mans old nickname. cheers ... rrfred

swamper
12-10-2004, 11:49 PM
This whole season goes down as my best memory. Spent a lot of time with Willyqbc, Amphibious and Oldtimer. Not to mention dinner at 70 mile with Steelco. I got a nice two point with my bow on an archery hunt with Willy and 8 days later made a good shot on a nice 30" bull that dropped him in his tracks. My second buck was a 130 yard head shot at a 2 point looking at me from behind a tree. Yes there were a few special moments, but on the whole this season stands as my best ever. Never missed a weekend and until the time change in October I was out just about every day. Any time spent in the bush has to go down as a good memory. Killing an animal is just a bonus. Spend as much time as you can with your family and friends as every moment special. As I get older, the more I value priveledges that so many of us take for granted. The best advice that I can give is to take your camera with you every time you leave the house. Capture the memories, not only for yourself but for those around you.
Chris

Steeleco
12-11-2004, 01:04 AM
My favorite has to be getting my first Blacktail with my 8yr old son. It was a lot of work getting it back to the truck but it was worth it. Like swamper said I hooked up with him, Amphib and WillyBC, had a great time with some great guys and a few beverages. Not the best idea when you sleeping in a tent the night of the first big snow, but I won't soon forget it. Not as much meat as I'd hoped for but I met some great people and had a very memroable season. New memories start April 1st8)

Marc
12-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Well I never filled my tags but I still had a great fall. Saw a few deer but they were all does.

Most favorite memories, watching K-1 doing kart-wheels with his shotgun in the salt water while out duck hunting :lol: Then having to row a couple of kilometers to the boat launch after sunset because the motor wouldn’t start. I got to experience my first time sleeping in a wall tent while hunting with K-1 and his son. Getting to meet Firebird in person for a hunt; walking within 10 yards of a beautiful fat Blacktail doe and watching her browse as we talked to each other in amazement. It wasn't a freezer-filling fall but it was a good fall just the same. Hopefully next fall I'll get off the Island and be able to experience some of the great hunting opportunities that most of you have every fall.

Marc.

3kills
12-11-2004, 04:55 AM
my best memory of this fall was takin tamara out for her first real moose hunts...we didnt get as much time in as we wanted to and didnt get the moose but it was a great time and she kept me laughin with the lil things she said or did...but most of all like everyone else said best memories are memories spent with family and friends...next year i hope to hunt with a few memebers off of here..so more memories will be made next year....

Thunderstix
12-11-2004, 08:28 AM
Mine would have to be my son getting his first deer. Especially the next day when we found it, we were both so excited. And then for him to refuse help dragging it back, I thought to myself "you've come along way in your maturity these past couple years".
Secondly would be my daughter hiking up the old mountain road with me for a deer hunt. She is so keen and she is alot of fun to be with. CORE will be soon.
Thirdly would be getting my spike bull as I have personally had a dry 3 years when it came to moose.

huntersdad
12-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Without a doubt my best memory of the year is taking a nice blacktail with my son Hunter.

This season was one of transition in my family. I not only lost my stepfather,but my hunting mentor too.

Hunter is coming along at the right to join in our family tradition

This season was dedicated to Terry (Bubba) Watson
Rest in Peace Big Guy

Mulie_Hunter
12-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Well my best memory though it might be one of the worst shooting jobs I've ever done was in september, we came into this logging slash and seen a few deer and on the way out a nice big 4 or maybe a 5 point was standing out about 70 yards away so I shouldered my rifle and let him have it. Well to this day I have no Idea where the bullet went but it was no where near that deer. He didn't buckle he just wheeled around and went hell bent for election into the bush! I never seen him again. there was not a spec of blood to be found I looked for about 2 hours so hopefully I'll find that big guy again next year.

leftcoast
12-11-2004, 09:26 PM
I guess the best memory for me was the bear that turned into 3 bears.

We turned hounds out on a single bear which they treed pretty quick. Upon close examination there were 3 bears in the tree. A sow and her cub had decided to join the one the dogs originally chased.

Nope I am wrong. The best memory was watching a bear cub out on a rock cliff because it was trying to avoid getting eaten by its papa. He was spread eagled,belly to the cliff, hanging on by claws only. After papa gave up in disgust and left, that cub did the toenail walk all across that cliff face and up and away. A mishap would have been instant death. Talk about high drama! This scene matched the white raven I saw 2 years ago.

=keith=

meat hunter
12-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Best memory

That would be on a late october afternoon ,my 9 year old son and I drove up to a logging slash. I spotted acouple of does so we walked to the end of the road inhopes we might see a buck with them,but we didnt. On the way back to the truck he looks 400 feet up the hill into the timber about 40 feet and spots this deer,he had to show me where it was before I could see it.It turned out to be a doe ,but what an amazing set of eyes that boy has,I'm looking forward to a lifeful of good hunts with him.

willyqbc
12-12-2004, 01:19 AM
My best memory this season... no question!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/91michael_grouse1-med.JPG

Second best will be to see his face when it gets back from the taxidermist!

Chris

mcrae
12-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Best memory for me was getting my best Mulie yet! My wife and I worked hard for that deer. We spent the summer hiking and scouting the area and it paid off! The area is a vechicle restriction so it was a good walk that day! We did about 15km that morning. It has been a good year as well becasue I introduced three people to hunting and two are hooked!

McRae

bochunk2000
12-13-2004, 10:46 AM
I was lucky enough to get 2 blacktails this year but my best memory was a day I got skunked. Out by myself for a morning bow hunt. I found a bear and trailed him never being able to get closer than about 60 yrds. After 3hrs 15mins he finally winded me as I crossed a hill near the road trying to head him off. He got away but the high adrenaline of stalking a predator for so long, almost always in sight was like 20 hunts in one. I can't wait to take my sons out when they are old enough.

QnsCowboy
12-13-2004, 03:08 PM
My best memory of the season was the get together for our annual ELP Buck Off here on Quadra Island...Unfortuately, no game taken this year, apparently you have to put time in to reap those rewards...However, can't help but enjoy the hunt with the guys and look forward to more...
Of note: Bochunk stalking a bear for over 3 hours is very impressive, because the guy is built like a fire hydrant, and as noisy as one in the bush with evey valve open...how he managed to stalk a bear that long is awesome!!!!!

Craig

hooked_on_hunting
12-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Best Memory.....well.... gettin up extra early to go out with Darc and who ever else was going (iether his dad or Jordy) . Getting picked on cause I said something stupid (don't even go there darc LOL) and getting ganged up on cause I was the only girl out there. Getting excited cause theres a bunch of mooses in the clear cut but I couldn't shoot any of them cause they were all cows...... GREAT FUN!!!
Then there is the question, Did you learn anything from the hunting season??
DON'T EVER, AND I MEAN EVER, GET RIGHT DRUNK THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GET UP AT 4 OR 5 OR WHAT EVER TIME IT WAS TO GO HUNTING......WALKING UP AND DOWN THE MOUNTAIN SIDE IN SNOW UP TO YER KNEES ALL DAY IS NOT FUN WHEN YOU HAVE A HANGOVER.

Next year I just hope I get to shoot something :)

3kills
12-15-2004, 08:28 PM
well hopefully we wil find something for u to get too so we can make more good memories...and hunting after partying isnt that bad u just gotta do it more often so u can deal with it lol...

hooked_on_hunting
12-15-2004, 08:30 PM
oh no no no....there will be no more of that. LOL

Farmer
12-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Best Memory of the season. Taking my wife mulie hunting and being with her when she shot her first deer. One shot with her .243.

Gateholio
12-15-2004, 11:58 PM
My best memory was hiking up into great territoryonthe Tuchodi River drainage,and bugling a bul elk in close...

We never got him...

Other than that, this was the worst season of my life...I injured my back onthe same trip, and spent a number of days writhing in pain...yay.

Had to pull out early. Doc said he couldn't belive that I could even walk with my back...I told him I spent a few fun filled days and nights on a ridge..

One of the great things this year was passing throuh Vanderhoof on my way to Smithers and having beers with the Ballistic Genius, Firebird..

Nice to meet a guy I have sparred with on the internet for 5 years or so!! :)

Gateholio
12-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Also, lunch at the Hoof and Harness was goood, too...:)