PDA

View Full Version : Bear meat- what do you eat??

Derp
04-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Since bear season is here, I was just wondering what do you eat from the bear and what do you make out of it?

Just curious, since I wanna bag a bear this season hopefully!:)

thanks!

bsa30-06
04-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Last year i had pepperoni made, this year i'll have smokies made.

Derp
04-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that, but do any of you cut your own bear meat and just make bear steaks or whatever with it?

moosinaround
04-28-2007, 08:17 PM
had smokies and pepperonies made and are they good!! smokies excellent on the barbq perfect for fishin or huntin trips with a cool brewski. Moosin

swamper
04-28-2007, 08:42 PM
We cut our bears up into chops and roast just like we would a deer. It's great eating and makes awesome burger. You cook it well done just like you would pork.

brotherjack
04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that, but do any of you cut your own bear meat and just make bear steaks or whatever with it?

I've done it. It's fairly decent meat, but not as good as deer, elk, moose, grouse, etc. I found it lacking in flavour, and in need of more seasoning than any other kind of meat I ever ate.

If I ever kill another bear (which I doubt I will), I will make the whole thing into saussage/smokies/etc.

Marc
04-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Last year I made one spring Bear into steaks/burger and my fall bear into sausage. I only have two packs of sausage and maybe a half dozen steaks left in the freezer.

We own a George Forman grill and it works perfect for sausage. You take your sausages out of the freezer, in the microwave for two minutes and on the George Forman for 12 minutes and you're ready to go, 14 minutes from freezer to your plate.

With the steaks you can't go wrong if you marinade them in Kraft Balsamic Vinaigrette for a couple of hours and fire them on the BBQ. My wife prefers bear over deer now.
Ground bear meat makes awesome spaghetti sauce as well as chili. Don’t be scared to try new things.
Get out there and enjoy yourself. I’m hoping to put another couple bears in the freezer again this year. God knows we have no shortage of them on the Island.

bsa30-06
04-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I also had a couple small roasts made from my bear last year , they were excellent.

3kills
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
u really gotta go for some bear hams...i

joelp37
04-28-2007, 10:54 PM
last spring i got my bear mad into peperoni,sausage,burger, and i bit of jerky. all were tasety!

bsa30-06
04-28-2007, 11:06 PM
u really gotta go for some bear hams...i

I was thinking of doing that.I'm going to have try it.I heard that bear hams were excellent.

3kills
04-29-2007, 07:06 AM
i got 4 good size hams off my bear and they were awesome...

Bigbear
04-29-2007, 10:10 AM
3 Kills is right , Bear Hams are great. Plus Bear Bacon . Nummy. :lol:

Derp
04-29-2007, 10:13 AM
thanks for all the imput. I'm definatley looking forward to munchin on some bear meat for the first time!8-)

3kills
04-29-2007, 08:31 PM
big bear last year i was talkin bout doin up some bear bacon but i wasnt to sure on it....is it really that good?

jessbennett
04-29-2007, 11:18 PM
3 kills,

bear bacon is some tasty treats let me tell ya.......... 8)

Mulies
04-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Haven't tryed the bacon but had hams done twice. The first time they were great but the second time you might as well have eat the paper they were rapped in.(tasteless) Find the right butcher that knows what he is doing and don't be disappointed!

tuchodi
04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
I make the hinds into ham's and they are the best. The rest of the bear we make into pepperoni and an assortment of other sausages which have always turned out real good. I have never tried the bacon but will this year for sure.

MichelD
04-30-2007, 11:19 AM
The following is a re-post:

Had an awesome garlic-stuffed bear shoulder roast dusted with thyme, pepper and paprika slowly cooked in wine and onions for dinner last night.

I have previously posted the following:

You can make anything you want out of bear meat. Roasts, steaks, stews, burger, anything. I personally have never had a gram of game meat, bear or otherwise made into a sausage of any kind.

I just can't see buggering up nice sweet versatile meat by turning it into some generic flavoured dreck.

The first bear I got (in 1976) made 9 gallons of rendered fat that went into using for deep fying doughnuts, greasing my boots and for diaper rash ointment for our newborn, who has two kids of her own now.

The three year old is itching for Grampa to take him bear hunting.

Ground bear meat is great in spaghetti sauce, meatballs, lasagna, hamburger patties and anything else you use ground meat for. It loves to be blended with garlic and onions.

And it is extremely versatile.

Had Hungarian chigadina goulash with bear stew the other night and Mrs. is making East Indian style Bear byriani the next time we thaw some stew out. She likes me to save the shanks as they are and boils them in the pressure cooker, then when the meat is cooked off the bones,makes soup with the broth and slices the meat and serves it as is or with a gravy.

The Chinese are supposed to be crazy about bear paws, so to try that I have skinned them out and she's cooked them up too.

twoSevenO
04-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I know it varies from butcher to butcher, but how much does it cost for an average size bear to be done up into pepperoni/smokies?

Mr. Dean
04-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I've had hams and sausages/smokies. Good eats... I'd have to sample Bear bacon before I comitted to some. Sounds interesting.

bsa30-06
04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I know it varies from butcher to butcher, but how much does it cost for an average size bear to be done up into pepperoni/smokies?

This is from DiMassimo's (last year).
fresh sausage $2.45 per pound finish product
smoked sausage $2.90 per pound finish product
minimum 25 pounds per batch
Hope this helps you.

Will
05-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I wanna bag a bear this season hopefully!:)

Make sure you at least Kill him 1st.............:shock:

twoSevenO
05-01-2007, 10:12 PM

yeah i second that .... i tried once and didn't work out too well .... just wouldn't go in the bag for some reason :-?

:p

Derp
05-02-2007, 08:08 AM

thats the plan :lol:

Will
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Derp,
I should add to wear a nose plug when you gut the Bear if you have a touchy belly..........and end up shooting a real stinky fella.
It may make eating the bear meat all the more enjoyable later on:wink:

Oh ya......stay away from the two little oval things in the fuzzy sack near the bum........they ain't very edible, no matter what BigHunterFish tells you :lol:

Derp
05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
hahahah! will yerrr a funny guy :lol:

oldtimer
05-03-2007, 11:19 AM
As stated earlier, Bear burger is probably the best you will ever have any which way you cook it. The wife and I like it as a meat loaf, meat balls with your favorite sauce, or just plain burgers on the BBQ. Mix in some liquid smoke, onions, and garlic. MMMMMM good. Mike

3kills
05-03-2007, 10:01 PM

i think the average is probaly some where between like 1.75/pound to 3.00/ pound....i cant remember what i payed per pound for my bear i got done at sportsman but it was well worth it all said and done it cost me in the 300 dollar range but thats cuz of the way i had it done up...

mgnm300
05-03-2007, 10:30 PM
i usually save some of my deer i got last season and have it mixed with bear to make pepperoni,,,can't beat that!!