PDA

View Full Version : freezer of meat..

NEEHAMA
04-27-2007, 10:49 AM
every year i have a freezer full of deer/moose/elk meat. in the event the freezer quit i would loose all of this fare. is there a back up system for freezers? i heard of a guy's who's wife accidently unplugged the freezer in the garage to use an extenson cord and never plugged it back in, lost the works!!

my freezer is very old but works fine. if i went out and bought a new one, could i get one with a battery back up? can you get on with an alarm that will buzz should the power go out etc.. can you get one that has a cooler on one end so a guy could age his meat in a proper cooler/freezer? freezer and cooler all in one that would be the ticket! then i wouldn't have to build a walk in cooler in my garage this august. anyone look into high tech freezers latley?

Marc
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Depending on how much you're willing to spend you can by a generator that is hooked to your house. In the even of a power failure the generator would kick in.

Mr. Dean
04-27-2007, 10:57 AM
a guy's who's wife accidently unplugged the freezer in the garage to use an extenson cord and never plugged it back in, lost the works!!

The back-up for this case would be DIVORCE!

Seriously, you're in it every other day. If something should go wrong, you should catch it before it's to late. No?

A freezer unplugged is still good for several days...

NEEHAMA
04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
ya i hear a little humming sound when i walk by it that tells me it's on. what if i was away for a week and the power went out?

Marc
04-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I made the mistake of piling boxes next to the freezer, what I didn't realize is I blocked off the ventilation to the grill. The compressor over heated and tripped, and the freezer stoped working. The way I found out was when I opened the freezer to grab something a couple of days later. I was lucky that most of the stuff hadn't thawed completely or I would have lost it all. Just a word of caution, keep things away from the cooling vent!

Marc.

Phil
04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
I use a generator back up for power outages but I have to be home to turn on the generator and throw the main to the off position. I would like an automatic set up incase I wasn't home when the power whent out.

Rod
04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
My mid size chest freezer is probably 15 years old and has a temp alarm built in, if the temp goes up the alarm sounds. Unfortunately it's useless in the event that it looses power as it isn't battery powered but it would warn me of compressor failure.

I'm sure there is something on the market that has it's own power source.

Mr. Dean
04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
BC hydro has something that can be done to have a genny start up automaticly when the juice die's.

Give em a call.

Wildman
04-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Nevre lost any myself, but we did have quite the scare this past winter when our power was out for nearly a day.....I was starting to worry. My fathers friend is a tuna fisherman, when he goes away my old man would look after his palce. One day we smelled something pretty putrid in his garage. He had four or five big freezers in which he kept frozen whole tuna. Well one of them calfed and the stench from inside was unbearable....the whole freezer needed to be disposed of, no amount of bleach or cleaner could remove the smell.

lip_ripper00
04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
if the power goes out with a gen set your hooped, as for accidential unplugging I put a flashing light between the the plug and the freezer, short term solution only

Gateholio
04-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I made the mistake of piling boxes next to the freezer, what I didn't realize is I blocked off the ventilation to the grill. The compressor over heated and tripped, and the freezer stoped working. The way I found out was when I opened the freezer to grab something a couple of days later. I was lucky that most of the stuff hadn't thawed completely or I would have lost it all. Just a word of caution, keep things away from the cooling vent!

Marc.

I have 4 freezers and about 18 refridgerators..

You *must* keep the area around the compressors clean and with good air circulation. Vaccuming out the compressor area once or twice a year is a good idea...

It will extend the life of your unit, but more importanlty make it run more efficiently.8-)

Elkhound
04-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Vaccuming out the compressor area once or twice a year is a good idea...

I will do that to all of my freezers this weekend8-)Thanks

reach
04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
You can get an alarm that will let you know if the temperature starts to rise. Lee Valley sells one: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10163&cat=2,2120,33279

Bluetick
04-27-2007, 05:32 PM
You can buy a battery powered alarm that will sound when the temperature reaches a certain setpoint. These are reasonably inexpensive (as little as $20.00) and good piece of mind when it comes to having a full freezer. When looking at the generator option be sure to buy a generator that can handle a large surge of current on startup. Compressors will draw 6 times there rated Run Load Amperage on startup and a weak generator will not do the job.

Cheers
Mike

SUAFOYT
04-27-2007, 08:43 PM
We have 2 of them and the contents are worth a lot of $ not to mention the time and effort put into filling them. We have a rider on our home insurance that reads as follows-"We will pay for loss or damage to your food freezer(s) and your frozen food contained in the freezer(s). Power failure or mechanical breakdown resulting in spoilage of frozen foods is included." In our policy, this coverage is included in the main policy premium. The deductible applies. The contents of 1 freezer is worth more than the deductible, so to us it's a no lose situation.

30-06
04-27-2007, 08:51 PM
we have 2 did have 3 all work great..1 liek brand new,2 older

Mr. Dean
04-28-2007, 12:15 AM
We have 2 of them and the contents are worth a lot of $ not to mention the time and effort put into filling them. We have a rider on our home insurance that reads as follows-"We will pay for loss or damage to your food freezer(s) and your frozen food contained in the freezer(s). Power failure or mechanical breakdown resulting in spoilage of frozen foods is included." In our policy, this coverage is included in the main policy premium. The deductible applies. The contents of 1 freezer is worth more than the deductible, so to us it's a no lose situation.

Your forgeting that you're going to lose the deductable.

SUAFOYT
04-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Your forgeting that you're going to lose the deductable.\

Not forgetting it at all. I'm saying that the deductible is a damn sight less than the value of the contents, and if the freezer is also toast, then it's really worth the small cost. Would you rather lose it all and possibly the freezer as well and save the 500 deductible? I wouldn't.

Guido02
04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Have ameat cutter friend who has offered to take whatever left over meat that i have in july and make it into a smoked salami or jerky. I know that something can happen before then but the thought is good. Helps clean out the old stuff making room for the new stuff.....and its a great product that he makes

Will
04-29-2007, 06:31 PM
I lined the bottom of my Freezer with 4 litre jugs of water........I think there's about 20 in there ?
Good backup if the power goes out....should help keep things froze for abit longer. Also a good supply of drinking water should we lose that too8-)

It's a benefit of having a huge freezer......or maybe just being a not so successful hunter makes more room for ice ??? :|
1 of the 2 anyways.....:lol:

Mr. Dean
04-30-2007, 12:14 AM
\
Would you rather lose it all and possibly the freezer as well and save the 500 deductible? I wouldn't.

I thought that this was what you were saying... I re-read the post. Looks as if I had my thinking cap on backwards. :oops:

I'm now wondering how an insurance co. would determine the value on a chest full of venison. Any one have the unfortunate experience?