PDA

View Full Version : Drawing and Aiming Basics

Bow Walker
04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
...Drawing and Aiming the bow...
This is primarily directed at 3D and Target archers, but it does affect us all. It may seem like a "no-brainer" but this part of your shooting form is as important as any other. The goal is to establish, and use, a totally repeatable and comfortable shot sequence.

Drawing the bow (mainly compounds) can be done easily and with minimal effort if done correctly. Use the largest, most stable muscles that you have for this part of the shot sequence - namely your back muscles.

Draw the bow using an across the body, push-pull type of motion. Bend slightly at the waist and point the bow/arrow toward the ground while you start the draw cycle, this is for obvious safety reasons and is a good habit to develop. If you use a release aid, keep your trigger finger behind the trigger thus blocking any accidental release during the draw cycle.

Don't laugh. I was at a 3D shoot where a woman was struck by an arrow from an accidental release. Fortunately she was only scratched as the arrow was nearly spent when it hit her. So – don’t "sky" the bow while you draw in preparation for the shot. Nobody intends for these types of accidents to happen but, as they say, "Guano happens - and it usually flows downhill."

Maintain a smooth, even draw and slowly straighten your body so that when you reach the end of the draw cycle and you come to anchor you are facing the target.

There are several places that you can anchor for the release. If using a release aid, find a solid, bone on bone, contact point for your index finger knuckle, where it joins the palm. This may be the corner of the jawbone, or the hollow just under the ear, or even anchor the knuckle in the ear hole itself. Consistency and repeatability are the things we are looking for here.

If you shoot with fingers, you should be concerned about finding a solid anchor point as well. This can be the index finger tip at the corner of your mouth, or the bent index finger curled just under the middle of your chin with the bowstring splitting the chin and touching the tip of the nose, or any solid, easily repeatable anchor that is comfortable.

Choose (and use) an anchor point that (for compound shooters) does not make you lean or tilt your head into the string just to see the sight and/or pins through the peep, as this will cause strain on your neck and shoulder muscles, which will lead to soreness and stiffening, making shooting your bow an unpleasant exercise. Coupled with that is the fact that your accuracy and consistency will suffer greatly.

Now is where the individual preference of the shooter comes into play. Some like to hold their point of aim a few inches above the target and float down into the X, while others like to come up from the bottom, or the side. Whichever way you aim, it is almost impossible to hold perfectly steady on the “spot” until you are ready to shoot. Most experts agree that if you allow the pin to float slightly in and around the spot, and not try to force yourself to hold on the tiny “x” in the middle, it will lead to a more accurate result.

The actual shot or release of the arrow should happen as an unconscious act, just when your subconscious recognizes that the pin or aiming point is in its optimal position. This sounds a bit mysterious, but it works, and has been proven to work by better archers than myself.

Bow Walker
04-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Over 10 views and no replies ?

Must mean that either I'm ed-ja-ma-cating some on here.................or I'm fulla ka-ka.

Gotta say ka-ka instead of shit because I used to be the Cuss Cop...........sshhhh, don't tell anyone.

bochunk2000
04-25-2007, 05:11 PM
That's a great read Dan. Where does a kisser button come in.

Bow Walker
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm going to speculate here, as I don't use one and haven't seen one installed before, but.......

If I was to put a kisser button on I'd get a bud to put a mark on the string while I was at full draw and in my comfortable anchor position. I'd get him/her to mark where the string crosses the corner of my mouth and that's where the smooch ring would go.

How'd I do Steve? Was that a test? Did I pass?

Seriously though, I can't see the advantage of using one especially if you have a good solid anchor point already.

oldtimer
04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I use a kisser button Dan and to me it is just one more point of reference for me and your method to decide how to set it sounds good to me. Mike

J_T
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Over 10 views and no replies ?

Well, I would reply, but I just thought....it's so simple
1) focus on target, judge distance
2) drawanchorrelease
3) retrieve
4) repeat

It's instinctive.:lol:

Bow Walker
04-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, I would reply, but I just thought....it's so simple
1) focus on target, judge distance
2) drawanchorrelease
3) retrieve
4) repeat

It's instinctive.:lol:

Yup.....for most. For me I'd include this.... 2a) adjust aim.:frown:

greybark
05-01-2007, 07:57 PM
:roll: OK my draw sequence ,

1. Judge distance
2, Draw,Anchor (Bow hand extended out towards your quarry and only motion is to draw to anchor point with min movement)
3. Get your shit together moment. (While staring at the aiming dot or hair, align your periferal arrow and release when comfortable) .

:) When I hit -:-( when I miss... LOL

Bow Walker
05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I use a kisser button Dan and to me it is just one more point of reference for me and your method to decide how to set it sounds good to me. Mike
You're right Mike....you can't have too many reference points when it comes to a solid, repeatable anchor.

Bentam64
08-21-2010, 03:58 AM
That's great advice. I just bought my PSE 'Deer Hunter' bow today.

Tmw morning i'm going to find a nice anchor point and start practicing.

Btw, Does holding the breath help like with a gun?

Bow Walker
08-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Holding the breath is a good idea - but exhale half the full breath while aiming and you'll hold on target a lot steadier. You shoud be able to complete the shot cycle within 10 - 15 seconds.

Evolution
08-21-2010, 09:40 AM
I try to take three deep breaths before drawing, then hold my air until I release. I dont exhale immediately after release, I try to wait til my arrow hits the target, that way I dont dislodge my follow through.

Another thing I do is moisten my eyes before I draw, a couple good blinks helps me to focus on the pin.

Another addenum would be a good muscle stretch before I shoot. Ive hurt myself a few times on my first draw of the day and especially on a multiple round course, but I suppose equally important on a single shot hunt.

Chuck
08-21-2010, 10:34 AM
This really brings into perspective how important it actually is drawing your bow in order to be consistantly accurate.
It amazes me to see how skilled those Mongol horsemen actually are in order to draw, and shoot with such accuracy while at a full gallop. :)

G.A.
09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
good read, thx

4ptbuck
09-22-2012, 05:45 PM
I've got one thing to add,...

When using peep sights, isn't it more natural to centre the pin in the peep? That the whole principle of the accuracy of peep sight in target rifles.
So when I shoot, I centre the pin in the peep.

Many others will centre the sight housing in the peep, and the aim with the appropriate pin. I can't seem to do/comprehend this, as when I focus on the pin, amd go 'natural' it centres itself in the houseing.

bochunk2000
09-22-2012, 05:59 PM
I used to centre on the pin too and since using the housing my accuracy has improved. I used to shoot competition .22 as a young teen and our front sights were circles not pins. With a rear peep. When I asked why not a pin like my .22 at home the shooting coach told me that the human eye can centre a circle in a circle car easier and more in the centre than a single point in the centre. I believe this translates to centering the circle of he housing in archery. Plus if you centre on the housing no matter what pin you are using your "frame" is always the same and you move the same solid hold back position to the target.
Hopefully I worded that to make sense...