PDA

View Full Version : 5x5 island blacktail

meat hunter
12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
I shot a real nice size deer in the tahsish/kwois Park last year. I've had it mounted,the taxidermist scored it at 109 9/16,so yesterday I went on the Boone and Crockett web site to see how to score ,I came out with a score of 128 3/8 . My question, is there than one scoring system?

I track real good in the snow!

Freshtracks
12-09-2004, 12:10 AM
If you're enquiring about another scoring system that would score differently to reach the end result. No

There is different scoring for how the animal was harvest.

Pope & Young - for all archery.

Boone & Crocket - for firearm.

BC Records - an extention of the B&C with lower minimum required scores to be eligible.

Have you rechecked your B&C site score you did?

meat hunter
12-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Re 5x5 blacktail

No I haven,t re checked the b&c score. I'll get a friend or two to help,thanks for the info.

BCrams
12-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Looks to me you may have made a common error in measurements. Your taxidermist likely is well aware of how to score animals. There are a couple measurements that a rookie will commonly make mistakes with and end up with a higher score.

huntersdad
12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Hey Meat
Just a coincidence but the measurement difference is about the same as the width of a blacktail rack. 16" to 18". Nobody hunts that area for deer as there are no roads, just leh elk.That is some pretty wild country. You must be very proud of that deer. Northern Van Isle deer dont seem to get much bigger in the horns.

meat hunter
12-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Huntersdad
I am proud of the deer there are no roads,just river & river rock gravel bars and apparently not too many elk.

Dirty
12-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Do you have a picture of that bad boy, i wouldn't mind havin a look at it

huntersdad
12-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey Meat
I too would like to see a pic if you have one. That area you went to is similar to the Power Lake LEH area. Not for the faint of heart. One of my buddies calls it Vietnam, just like a jungle.

YukonJack
12-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Yeah, Meathunter! Way to go on the Blacktail. There is another scoring system, SCI. You'd most likely get a higher score in it though, as they score the animal for what it is, no bonehead deductions for irregularities.

meat hunter
12-10-2004, 07:15 PM
I do have a couple of photos and I got a friend to take some with his computer camera after it was mounted. I'll get a friend to help me get the photos and others on the computer so you fellas can see it.

buckee
01-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I got a really nice 5x5 a couple of years ago too and got it scored at our local gun club. I watched them score it and I'm sure I could have squeeked a few more 1/8"'s out of it here and there too...LOL.

Mine officially scored 117-6/8" after deductions. I'm sure if I had of scored it, it would have been closer to 120 :smile:

I can't tell ya where I got it though, because some of you boys live way too close...LOL:grin: :grin: