PDA

View Full Version : BCWF and WSSBC announcement

BCWF
07-27-2015, 07:37 PM
The BC Wildlife Federation (BCWF) and Wild Sheep Society of BC (WSSBC) are pleased to announce establishment of a formal working partnership agreement to support conservation of wild sheep in BC.

Under the terms of the new partnership, BCWF and WSSBC will work together in a number of ways, including the development of programs and initiatives that work to support wild sheep in BC and promoting the critical importance of conserving their populations. In addition, BCWF and WSSBC will join together in meetings with government and other non-profit organizations and stakeholders concerning issues critical to sustaining wild sheep in BC.

“BCWF is proud to partner with the Wild Sheep Society of BC, an organization with a long history of advocating on behalf of wild sheep in BC. We look forward to working jointly towards our shared goal of keeping sheep on the mountain and ensuring the sustainability of wild sheep populations in our province,” said BCWF President George Wilson.

“The Wild Sheep Society of BC looks forward to working with the BC Wildlife Federation to address wild sheep conservation concerns, including development of an approach to reduce disease transmission between wild and domestic populations. This new agreement will better enable both organizations to ensure the health of the wild sheep of BC,” said Wild Sheep Society of BC President Mike Southin.

After many years of concerns being raised by Wild Sheep Society and BC Wildlife Federation members as well as government staff over the conservation of wild sheep in BC, the BC Ministry of Agriculture and BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations are working together to develop a science-based approach to disease transmission issues surrounding wild and domestic sheep. One of the most important goals of the initiative is to ensure an economically feasible plan for implementation by both stakeholders and the government.

Province of BC staff are currently working on detailed maps that will establish a spatial information resource to serve as the foundation for a model that ascribes the risk of contact between domestic and wild sheep. The new plan will include legislative options such as the new Animal Health Act as well as other response opportunities. Upon completion of the first draft of the new plan, the government is expected to engage stakeholders - including BCWF and WSSBC - in the first half of 2016.

The BC Wildlife Federation and Wild Sheep Society of BC are pleased that the Province of BC is taking steps to address this critical conservation concern, and we look forward to continuing to work with government and other stakeholders in ensuring the health of the wild sheep of BC

The Wild Sheep Society of BC (WSSBC) is a non-profit registered Society dedicated to the protection and enhancement of wild sheep and wild sheep habitat throughout “Beautiful British Columbia”.

For more information, visit www.wildsheepsociety.com/

BgBlkDg
07-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Stakeholders.......hhmmmm.....

Would that include some or all of the often foreign "owned" GOABC businesses?

Seems, that the GOABC is getting more entrenched in the BCWF and I see this as a "conflict of interest".

A concern, IMHO.

TPK
07-28-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't think there is anything to be concerned about. The BCWF has always had members of the GOABC in it's midst. Good and bad resolutions, ideas, etc. are discussed at the AGM and voted on. If it makes sense, it flies, if not it dies. So there isn't likely a concern with "them" being involved unless their numbers exceed that of non- GOABC attendees and an agenda is pushed that is not in line with that of resident hunters and anglers.

Dirty
07-29-2015, 08:02 AM
This was discussed and voted on at the AGM of the WSSOBC. As far as I remember it was voted to be put forth to the board for their discretion. There were various opinions for and against the partnership, but I believe the benefits for the WSSOBC will be positive. Unfortunately far less people show up to the Saturday morning AGM than the Friday night fun night.😆 I wonder why. It is worth while and very informative. I believe, if memory is correct, the society membership is 600ish and only about 30 showed up.