PDA

View Full Version : Anyone turkey hunting around Cranbrook?

Rackmastr
04-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey Guys,
Heading to Cranbrook country this week for a 4 day turkey hunt. Never done it before, but we're getting really excited to get out and chase some birds around the hills. Anyone hunting this country? Birds still talking good? Any tips or hints? Lookin forward to getting out there....staying up around Skookumchuck and we'll hope its a good time and good area to be in.....

model88
04-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey Rack, thats a great area too try for a tom. Was out the other day down around Grasmere, was working one but he never came close enough for a shot.

Good luck.

Rackmastr
04-22-2007, 04:22 PM
We're heading out on Wed night and coming home on Sunday afternoon......

Hope it works out well....been squaking on the calls all last month!

300H&H
04-22-2007, 04:44 PM
The birds are talking long & loud here in region 8.
As far as a tip...don't chase them, have them come to you. My slate call worked great. I did not use a decoy.
Have fun.

Chuck
04-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Just thinking out loud....Quite a few birds are being seen in the W. Kootenays, but the one problem seems to be that someone unfamiliar with the area will have to find a place to hunt that isn't private property as the valley bottoms all seem to be. The E. Kootenays on the other hand tend to be more open space and visibility is better and houses or farms aren't one next to the other so this affords a better opportunity, but I suggest that the birds in the E. Kootenay are more hunt-wise than the W. Kootenay birds, at least this year. Just talking. Good luck guys!

Husky7mm
04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
This is the heaviess hunted area in BC the bird quit calling 9:30 am opening morning because of sheer terror. Good luck you will need it!

Rackmastr
04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the words....

I'm wondering what you mean Husky as I've talked with several guys who have hunted out there and had the birds calling all day long.....

Either way, should be a fun trip....

Rackmastr
04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Anyone have any other comments?

rocksteady
04-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I spent all weekend attempting to call one up...However, had no luck and not even sure if I was in a turkey friendly area and if I was calling properly, so Sunday afternoon I said...Enough !!!! Went gopher shotting for 3 hours and felt much more better.....

Rackmastr
04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Haha...good to hear.....we're excited no matter what happens, but definatly rookies to say the least.

If you wanted someone to hunt with this week, we're hunting Thurs-Sun and would be willin to hook up for a day....

Poguebilt
04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
good luck.... we saw 9 on opening day morn and afternoon....

been out out lots since and nothing at all!!!

zaconb
05-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Best of luck with the turkey’s boys I took a Jake opening morning in Ontario. Now that the pressures off I can settle in and go for a Tom. Hopefully if all goes well I’ll be hunting them next season the lower mainland!:lol:

My buddy Brue(left) and I with our opening morning birds!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/zaconb/BruceandRick1.jpg

Buck
05-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Drathaar man ZaconB i"m on a waiting list for a puppy right now.

zaconb
05-15-2007, 01:36 PM
You will not be disappointed, what kennel are you getting your pup from? I will be living in North Vancouver as of July 1 if you need any help let me know I have lots of training gear and love messing with pups!

Buck
05-16-2007, 03:22 AM
I'm getting him from Steve Kortevski in the Toronto area.