PDA

View Full Version : News Release: BCWF Resident Priority Program

BCWF
07-20-2015, 05:07 PM
News Release: BCWF Resident Priority Program

For Immediate Release - July 20th, 2015

SURREY, BC - In response to mounting concerns over British Columbians’ access to angling, hunting and outdoor recreation opportunities, the BC Wildlife Federation Board of Directors has established a Resident Priority Program.

“BCWF members and the general public are finding private gates on public roads, and experiencing reduced access to public resources, including fish and wildlife. These reductions are a result of government allocating public resources to private interests at the expense of British Columbians,” said George Wilson, President of the BC Wildlife Federation.

The aim of the program is to ensure natural resources such as fish, wildlife, water, and crown land are managed in the public interest and maintain public access, except where there are public safety and/or environmental concerns.

The heritage value of public access to BC’s natural resources and crown land is paramount to all British Columbians. Access increases the stewardship and care of these resources. Without access, the public’s interest and capacity for the protection and maintenance of natural resources is compromised.

The Resident Priority Program will develop, manage, and implement a strategy to advance the priority of our future generations to British Columbia’s natural resources. The program will strengthen and expand the outdoor user network and ensure natural resources are managed sustainably.

BC Wildlife Federation is British Columbia's largest and oldest conservation organization with over 46,000 members passionately committed to protecting, enhancing and promoting the wise use of the environment for the benefit of present and future generations. Visit www.bcwf.bc.ca for more information.

- 30 –

For more information on this issue, contact Jesse Zeman at jessezeman@gmail.com

For more information and general media inquiries, contact BCWF Marketing and Communications Coordinator Curtis Ketter at 604-882-9988 ext 233 or marketing@bcwf.bc.ca

Paulyman
07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Well done gents! (slow clap)

Dusty Roads
07-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Awesome!
Keep up the great work folks!

Rackmastr
07-20-2015, 05:44 PM
This is such a huge step forward for the BCWF!!

Exciting times, and what I see as just the beginning of some pretty positive stuff coming with the BCWF.

Mishka
07-20-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm very happy to see this. It has my support and I'll be encouraging others (non-hunters, etc) to consider lending their support as this effects everyone.

The Hermit
07-20-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm unclear as to how this changes anything. Presumably the BCWF has always had a number of policies in this arena, and even has a paid Director of Stragegy. Isn't this the key raison d'ętre of the organization?

How will developing, managing, and implementing a "strategy" advance the priority of future generations to British Columbia’s natural resources. How will the new "strategy" strengthen and expand the outdoor user network and ensure natural resources are managed sustainably? What specifically will the new strategy do?

Perhaps I've misunderstood... has the Government abdicated their responsibilities to the BCWF? WTF?

one-shot-wonder
07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Perhaps I've misunderstood... has the Government abdicated their responsibilities to the BCWF? WTF?

This program will get engagement from the grassroots all the way up to the gov't! I can see this taking steps for a mass movement within the resident hunting fraternity.

Also as you are well aware, all BCWF members have a chance to vote........

one-shot-wonder
07-22-2015, 08:48 PM
No but the resident hunters of this province will change the outcome of the upcoming election.....CC see you in '17

The Dawg
07-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Registered voters in BC have a chance to vote... Is this a BCWF membership drive?

Not at all- its an awareness of attempts at privatization of resources drive.

albravo2
07-22-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm unclear as to how this changes anything. Presumably the BCWF has always had a number of policies in this arena, and even has a paid Director of Stragegy. Isn't this the key raison d'ętre of the organization?

How will developing, managing, and implementing a "strategy" advance the priority of future generations to British Columbia’s natural resources. How will the new "strategy" strengthen and expand the outdoor user network and ensure natural resources are managed sustainably? What specifically will the new strategy do?

I think TH raises some good questions. A press release is not, in and of itself, an action.

Hopefully, the strategy is not a secret because it might change the direction of the next election. Like the hermit, I'm curious to know.

blacklab
07-23-2015, 07:28 AM
And they are going to do WHAT??

FourOhs
07-23-2015, 07:51 AM
This program will get engagement from the grassroots all the way up to the gov't! I can see this taking steps for a mass movement within the resident hunting fraternity.

Also as you are well aware, all BCWF members have a chance to vote........

BC Wildlife Federation is British Columbia's largest and oldest conservation organization with over 46,000 members
We BCWF members are 46,000 strong, but that's out of almost 3.2 million registered voters in B.C. (as of the last election (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Columbia_general_election,_2013#Voter_Turn out)). Our individual votes don't count for much, especially with us spread across the province. Our power comes in educating the sheeple around us, neighbours, coworkers, and FriendFace buddies, to stand up for resident hunters' rights (ours and theirs) and making them see how important this is, even if not to them individually and specifically.

You said it: grassroots. We are the diaspora, but we have to spread the word far and wide among non-BCWF members to have any real effect. (Better yet, recruit more new members to join our BCWF ranks.)

Speaking of the last general election in B.C., if you live in Kelowna or Richmond your vote counts for just a little more than elsewhere. Why? Because your cities had the lowest voter turnout in the province: both were <50%. I don't want you mobilizing everyone to vote, just the people in your riding who will vote the same way as me. :grin:

boxhitch
10-12-2017, 04:48 PM
everyone/anyone remember this ?

Whonnock Boy
10-12-2017, 07:24 PM
I do, and I believe it has been one of the shining lights in the organization mainly due to the fact of who is running it.

everyone/anyone remember this ?