PDA

View Full Version : Resident priority program

Foxton Gundogs
07-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Just got this report from Dale aka Fowl Language.
I have it on good authority that the resident priority program is set to take off this week with full approval by the BCWF board of director this weekend. I spoke with the new director and he has already putting plans together and the contract will be signed today. and we are off, the target will be aimed at the next election so we will be ready. There has been and reasonable amount of freedom of information material gathered that will be quite damning . We all need to giving a big hand to the Dawg for helping out on this...Dale

Daybreak
07-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Exciting news! Thanks to all involved in the Priority Initiative and especially Dawg for his hard work and abilities to uncover information that some would prefer kept buried. Please keep us advised and let us know if we can do anything to help make it happen.

Deadshot
07-19-2015, 07:33 PM
How are they to go about raising funds?

Buck
07-19-2015, 07:42 PM
This is great news and i look forward to holding the liberals accountable.

john.b
07-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Great job everyone. Thank you for all of your hard work

The Dawg
07-19-2015, 08:19 PM
It's been in the works a long time and it's finally a go

The RP manager has been hired- stay tuned to here, FB groups, Twitter, your clubs, the BCWF and the news.

I have a feeling things are about to blow up ....

Ride Red
07-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Great work Dawg and everyone involved. Let us know what we can do to pitch in.

srupp
07-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Hmm sorry for being obtuse...wth is a resident priority system..if its moving to Alberta style bad..
If its putting residents before paying non residence of guides?
Please elaborate..kinda spooky..this long time bavk room radical change..hmmmm
Steven

Ry151
07-19-2015, 10:37 PM
This is great news, been waiting to see what the next step would be. Good work to all those involved!!

srupp
07-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Hmmm anynody care to share what this new system is, please?
Steven

300rum700
07-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Hmmm anynody care to share what this new system is, please?
Steven

Resident priority.ca has some info not sure how current it is. I'm with you this whole thing is a little to quiet almost as quiet as the last allocation decision.

rgn5hunt
07-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Great news to hear, many thanks to Dawg and all others that persevered.

Jagermeister
07-19-2015, 11:54 PM
I guess we will have to hang ten Steven until the big Mondo hits us.

srupp
07-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Hmm my gut instincts are very good about Dawg in spite of odd difference of opinion I have watched him step up put a concerted effort and probably $$$ for resident hunters..versus guided hunts for non resident hunters .
Indeed there are millions of financially stable folks that can afford to buy $ 100,000 stone sheep hunts.. and are basically buying our hunting heritage out from under our humble feet..and repeatadly come back year after year..
Sometimes great plans need secrecy and time to mature...and I am at the bottom of the totam pole no need for me to know untill..its time for me to know..so far its not time.
I would assume that the GOBC have a 1 year plan..5 year plans..10 year plans that look to benifit their member s...keeping ones powder dry is a great defense and the start of any strategic offensive..
Cheers and thank you to all those working behind the scenes..I recently chose between rod and gun club and bcwf..that choice by nature must involve trust...hmmmmm lol

Steven

bigdogeh
07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Thxs for what 's going on in the background. I'm looking forward to getting back what was rightfully ours in the first place. Also looking forward to seeing the liebs getting their corrupt asses kicked next election...

07-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Just knowing that my donation to R P is peace of mind knowing that it is trying to look after residents first rather then the Liberal Government and GO idea of screwing us over at all cost.

Thank you you for those at the helm looking after our hunting heritage .......

2chodi
07-20-2015, 10:54 PM
News Release: BC Wildlife Federation Announces Resident Priority Program
https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/image/bcwf-logos/BCWF_Logo_CMYK---smaller-for-web.jpg
For Immediate Release – July 20th, 2015
SURREY, BC - In response to mounting concerns over British Columbians’ access to angling, hunting and outdoor recreation opportunities, the BC Wildlife Federation Board of Directors has established a Resident Priority Program.
“BCWF members and the general public are finding private gates on public roads, and experiencing reduced access to public resources, including fish and wildlife. These reductions are a result of government allocating public resources to private interests at the expense of British Columbians,” said George Wilson, President of the BC Wildlife Federation.
The aim of the program is to ensure natural resources such as fish, wildlife, water, and crown land are managed in the public interest and maintain public access, except where there are public safety and/or environmental concerns.
The heritage value of public access to BC’s natural resources and crown land is paramount to all British Columbians. Access increases the stewardship and care of these resources. Without access, the public’s interest and capacity for the protection and maintenance of natural resources is compromised.
The Resident Priority Program will develop, manage, and implement a strategy to advance the priority of our future generations to British Columbia’s natural resources. The program will strengthen and expand the outdoor user network and ensure natural resources are managed sustainably.
The BC Wildlife Federation is British Columbia's largest and oldest conservation organization with over 46,000 members passionately committed to protecting, enhancing and promoting the wise use of the environment for the benefit of present and future generations. Visit www.bcwf.bc.ca (http://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bcwf.bc.ca&srcid=13218&srctid=1&erid=2669997&trid=b0ec669a-93d2-4dd8-81e9-ec92ca2c9c11) for more information.
- 30 -

BgBlkDg
07-21-2015, 04:21 AM
I doubt that any meaningful change will happen until Christy and her vile gang are merely a stench in the nostrils of history. She is in power to benefit the wealthy and sees BC as a "chicken ripe for plucking" by her corporate masters.

Spy
07-21-2015, 10:19 AM
I doubt that any meaningful change will happen until Christy and her vile gang are merely a stench in the nostrils of history. She is in power to benefit the wealthy and sees BC as a "chicken ripe for plucking" by her corporate masters.
We might not be able to touch them now, but dont count out jail time for their corruption & theft! It will all come out in time ;-) Great news & thank you to everyone working so hard on our behalf.

fowl language
07-22-2015, 06:48 PM
if we want this to be successful we are all going to have to do our part in this to show the current government we mean business. I think we need to admit defeat in the first round but like any good team we can bounce back and go after government and let them know what is about to happen in the next election. this needs to be spread to ALL outdoors people no matter what they do....round 2 should prove very entertaining, and hopefully un comfortable to our current government...fowl

The Dawg
07-22-2015, 08:49 PM
So what exactly are we spreading?

Do you have an issue with a dedicated program that is fighting for your rights as a BC resident? Access issues, hunting, fishing, back country, mushroom picking...the list goes on.

Fella
07-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Do you have an issue with a dedicated program that is fighting for your rights as a BC resident? Access issues, hunting, fishing, back country, mushroom picking...the list goes on.
Dawg, are you able to shed a bit of light on how This new RH program is going to work? How will it fight for our rights? I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm trying to stir the pot by the way.

digger dogger
07-23-2015, 07:22 AM
No Dawg, I don't have an issue with a program that fights for rights. However, I am left wondering if this announcement by the BCWF wasn't somewhat premature given the secrecy that it seems to be shrouded in. Was there more to this annoucement that wasn't posted? Am I missing something? Please enlighten
me.

I'd like to know also.

2chodi
07-23-2015, 07:38 AM
It is important for everyone to understand that this is a paid position dedicated to resident priority and will be in addition to the countless hours that have and will continue to be spent by dedicated volunteers within the BCWF and member clubs.

The following is a "job description" of sorts. The BCWF can't spend funds to be politically partisan, but the BCWF can use it resources to do research and publicly oppose or support BC government's policies and laws.

Resident Priority Program Manager Roles & Responsibilities:
The delivery of the Resident Priority Program Manager’s duties shall at all times be in accordance with the BCWF Constitution and Bylaws and applicable policies, under the direction of the Director of Strategic Initiatives and the Director of Operations.

In general, the Resident Priority Program Manager’s duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
· Develop, manage and track a strategy to identify, reduce barriers and advance resident priority for hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation, as related to overall conservation issues and in line with BCWF’s mission, goals and objectives.
· Develop a Resident Priority Program Business Plan and Budget for 2016 and beyond which, among other things, identifies sustainable program revenue stream opportunities.
· Maintain an in-depth knowledge of applicable BCWF policies and activities that impact hunting, angling and outdoor recreation in BC, as well as government regulations, programs and policies that impact on resident priority-related issues affecting the Regions, members and Clubs.
· Develop a positive and productive working relationship with the Director of Strategic Initiatives, the Director of Operations and the BCWF Board.
· Identify and advise the Director of Strategic Initiatives, the Director of Operations and the Board on Resident-Priority related issues that affect the BCWF and its members.
· Engage in regular Region, Club and stakeholder speaking engagements and other outreach opportunities where Resident Priority related representation is requested/needed to establish, maintain or strengthen a strong working relationship between BCWF and our Regions, Clubs, members and stakeholders.
· Develop strong relationships and maintain a positive communications liaison with the BCWF Regions and Clubs to ensure they are fully aware of BCWF’s strategies, activities, priorities and position on resident use and access to fish, wildlife and outdoor recreation, as related to overall conservation issues. Ensure applicable resident priority requests and requirements are facilitated in a timely fashion, encouraging a professional and solutions-based line of communications with all concerned.
· Promote and continually improve relationships between the BCWF Board, Regions and member Clubs, as they relate to Resident Priority.
· Attend/represent BCWF Regions, members and Clubs at Resident-Priority related public and stakeholder meetings when necessary.
· Maintain a professional profile and the utmost integrity in all activities.
· Attend and participate in quarterly BCWF Board meetings and prepare/submit quarterly written reports for the Board agenda packages, as per timelines and templates provided. Participate in monthly BCWF Executive calls and/or submit reports for these calls, upon request.
· Participate in monthly BCWF SMT meetings and communicate/share activities and directions with the other departments.

Financial:
· Prepare a draft 2016 Resident Priority budget including proposed sustainable program revenue streams for 2016 and beyond, in line with timelines and templates provided.
· Submit expenses and request purchases in line with the approved 2015 Resident Priority Program budget in accordance with applicable BCWF policies.

Other:
· Maintain an up to date BCWF membership.
· Ensure all Resident Priority Program letters, reports and other applicable documents and communications are prepared, distributed and filed in accordance with applicable BCWF policies.
· Positively promote the BCWF and affiliated Clubs at all times.
· Accept other related responsibilities and activities as circumstances, abilities, need or direction dictate or as may be requested by the Director of Strategic Initiatives and the Director of Operations.
· It must be understood that the BCWF is a charitable conservation organization and it is therefore critical that all employees and contractors uphold the law at all times. Consequently, it is agreed that any conviction under the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Act, Fisheries Act of Canada, or other legislation, as well as any breach of confidentiality, may be considered just cause for immediate termination.
· It is understood that all policies contained within the BCWF HR Policy Manual must be adhered to at all times.
· It is also understood that this is not a “9 to 5” position. Extra hours, flexibility and initiative are a requirement. Teamwork, positive solutions and confidentiality are also required.
BCWF may review/modify the job description and responsibilities at its option at any time.

The Hermit
07-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Man I hate to rain on anyone's parade and that IS a start but essentially the job description defines stuff that BCWF should have been doing for the past thirty years as part of their primary mandate. It does not specify specifically what the tangible goals of the RPP are nor the tasks that need to be undertaken. Is not the RPP still hamstrung by being a BCWF effort regards lobbying, holding them accountable publically, etc.

I'm not trying to deprecate the intentions and efforts of those involved in this effort in ANY way, it is work that has been needed for years if not decades. Like others here, I'm just trying to understand WHAT specifically is to be done. Will the new Manager and Director help organize/fund local volunteers' initiatives to highlight the Government's ineptitude in the regions (I don't mean the working team of biologists and wildlife managers but rather the political dimwits that are calling the shots).

What tactics will be a part of this new strategy? I think we all want to know so we can see where our efforts might be best lent toward the cause! I think everyone that attended meetings , wrote letters, or marched last spring is waiting to be pointed at the next task!!

Fisher-Dude
07-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Man I hate to rain on anyone's parade and that IS a start but essentially the job description defines stuff that BCWF should have been doing for the past thirty years as part of their primary mandate. It does not specify specifically what the tangible goals of the RPP are nor the tasks that need to be undertaken. Is not the RPP still hamstrung by being a BCWF effort regards lobbying, holding them accountable publically, etc.

I'm not trying to deprecate the intentions and efforts of those involved in this effort in ANY way, it is work that has been needed for years if not decades. Like others here, I'm just trying to understand WHAT specifically is to be done. Will the new Manager and Director help organize/fund local volunteers' initiatives to highlight the Government's ineptitude in the regions (I don't mean the working team of biologists and wildlife managers but rather the political dimwits that are calling the shots).

What tactics will be a part of this new strategy? I think we all want to know so we can see where our efforts might be best lent toward the cause! I think everyone that attended meetings , wrote letters, or marched last spring is waiting to be pointed at the next task!!

Did Scott Ellis call you up and tell you what his tactics and strategies would be? I kinda doubt it.

This isn't consistent with the BCWF's core responsibilities - we're a CONSERVATION organization, and that's what we've been doing for the past 30 years, and longer, that you're bitching about. Thankfully, our CONSERVATION organization is stepping up to represent our interests at the allocation table, too.

Whonnock Boy
07-24-2015, 04:46 PM
This sums it up quite well, and something we should all think about. I understand that people want to know, but sometimes it's best to have some faith in those that are doing their best for both wildlife, and resident hunters. If you are wanting to learn more, showing up may be in your best interest.

Did Scott Ellis call you up and tell you what his tactics and strategies would be? I kinda doubt it.

Wentrot
07-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

mcmullmar
07-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks for everything you are doing. Hope it helps. Let me know is there is anything I can do to help fight for our rights

The Dawg
07-24-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks for everything you are doing. Hope it helps. Let me know is there is anything I can do to help fight for our rights

The best thing you can do is to sign up with your local club and get involved. Change starts from a Club level.

rgn5hunt
07-24-2015, 08:35 PM
I want resident priority become a success. Our club at Lone Bute has close to 400 members all BCWF. Now do these people automatically become part of resident priority members ? or do they have to register?

The Dawg
07-24-2015, 08:49 PM
I want resident priority become a success. Our club at Lone Bute has close to 400 members all BCWF. Now do these people automatically become part of resident priority members ? or do they have to register?

Resident priority is a branch of the BCWF. All members are "resident priority " members.

Whonnock Boy
07-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Your thoughts pretty much sum up what is happening now with the federation. Resident Priority is the "new age", and it is adapting to the ever changing landscape in regards to wildlife and resident hunters. Recruitment is a high priority, and has been a main focal point recently. The younger generation is moving in, with the appointment of Jesse Zeman as Resident Priority manager as proof of that. A fantastic choice in my opinion. I think you will be pleased with the direction the federation is taking but like all things of this magnitude, it takes time and patience.

Congrats Dawg. I am proud of the work that you do for all of us Outdoor Recreation Users. I sure hope that it is you that will be filling the paid position as a Research Assistant, offered by the BCWF. Maybe the BCWF should consider changing the organizations name and expanding their horizons in this ever changing world of outdoor enthusiasts. I say this because everything posted ends with 'BCWF' or "join the club" in some form or another.

I don't know what exactly the answer is to building club membership. I do know that I will not join it again until there are changes made that represent NEW IDEAS AND THOUGHTS. Maybe this process begins with some of the longtime members shutting up and listening to some of the young people that DO want to get involved with the Club. Maybe mentoring them in the administration end with adaptation to the present in mind might pull the oldest club in BC into a new age. This club obviously wants to expand membership so find some common ground and open the doors.

The Hermit
07-26-2015, 10:44 PM

This isn't consistent with the BCWF's core responsibilities - we're a CONSERVATION organization, and that's what we've been doing for the past 30 years, and longer, that you're bitching about. Thankfully, our CONSERVATION organization is stepping up to represent our interests at the allocation table, too.

What are you sticking in your arm man? The BCWF has been at the allocation table for EVER! Wildlife management IS a big part of Conservation! and a key priority in the Federation! And not to put too fine a point on it but I wasn't "bitching", which any semi-intelligent reader like yourself might have picked up on if you weren't in such a reactive mood or did you even read my post? Get back on the herb and leave the hard rock alone! LOL

btridge
02-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Any updates on the resident priority program? seems to be ruffling some feathers.

Originally Posted by souwester
political BS is why the resident priority program should be shut down.
Im sure theres more than a few outfitters in it for the long haul.Might come to be that there is a bunch of resident hunters as well that aren't on the same page

bearvalley
02-18-2016, 11:03 AM
I sat in on a presentation last night. What was put forth made sense. You should probably attend a Resident Priority meeting when you get a chance, btridge.
You might learn something..........?

btridge
02-18-2016, 11:38 AM
I sat in on a presentation last night. What was put forth made sense. You should probably attend a Resident Priority meeting when you get a chance, btridge.
You might learn something..........?
Contrary to your opinion of me in the other thread, I to have a vested interest in conservation and growing more wildlife. It is something as BC residents that we have a responsibility to get right. and yes ,I to would like to attend the meetings when they are somewhat local, hopefully within a couple hours drive. are any meetings planned for the kootenays?

Rob Chipman
02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Good to hear this is underway. While we may think the BCWF has missed some opportunities to do this in the past it looks to me like the BCWF is an old established organization that has had lots of work to do, and has accomplished much, but is faced with a typical challenge of some long established organization: keeping up with the times as they change.

I don't think you can under-estimate that challenge at the best of times, and, I think we need to recognize that its' typically tough for volunteer driven conservation and outdoor oriented groups to respond to challenges as quickly as trade organizations and activist groups do. It's the nature of the beast.

However, on the positive side of the ledger BCWF has members all over the province who are very knowledgeable, and the Fed is clearly adjusting course. We don't need to nail the bulls eye. We just need to keep shooting and keep adjusting our aim. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. If we stay the course we'll get there sooner than than later.

TPK
02-18-2016, 03:35 PM
... we need to recognize that its' typically tough for volunteer driven conservation and outdoor oriented groups to respond to challenges as quickly as trade organizations and activist groups do. It's the nature of the beast.

This is why the decision was made to hire some people for the more onerous and important roles. Jesse and Al are prime examples and we see the benefits of this move.

bridger
02-18-2016, 04:09 PM
No ones feathers are ruffled buddy
your in a race to the bottom ...
Enjoy the ride

what a great attitude! Are you a resident hunter?

Ambush
02-18-2016, 05:45 PM

No, sour-wester is just a bitter grump. Left out and left behind, with nothing better to do than try to spread misery to others.

Wentrot
02-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Sadly he's right IMO.

Rob Chipman
02-18-2016, 06:21 PM
TPK:

"Jesse and Al are prime examples"

I've swapped a few emails with Jesse and am glad he's on this. Is Al the Al Martin on BCWF website? Thanks.

Ambush
02-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Sadly he's right IMO.

There is a big difference between not having faith in a process or actively trying to drag that process down.

Ambush
02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Actually Mr AmBullshit your pretty close to the truth
A user group of resident hunters was almost left behind
good thing some members of the GOABC managed to speak up on our behalf.

Well, with your attitude, I hope you get left a little farther behind. so I don't have to hear the bitching and moaning.

Still have no idea what your bitch is or against who.

Ambush
02-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Why don't you start a cheerleading thread?

Because you would just show up there, pissing, moaning and insulting people's efforts to improve the lot of wildlife and hunters.

scotty30-06
02-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Wow someone is a Debby downer....more effort then your putting in....dont knock it if you ain't apart of it.....keep up the good fight for those of you involved

325 wsm
02-18-2016, 09:33 PM
I have a gun listed in buy and sell….Custom 358 STA….10% of sale price will go to the BC resident priority program and I challenge all other members to meet or beat that % to go to that program or BCWF for any goods they sell on this site.

TPK
02-19-2016, 11:19 AM
TPK:

"Jesse and Al are prime examples"

I've swapped a few emails with Jesse and am glad he's on this. Is Al the Al Martin on BCWF website? Thanks.

Yes, that's him. When he worked for the Gov. I would sit across the table in allocation discussions, we were on opposite sides (so to speak) back then. Great to have someone on our side that has worked in the system, knows it, and knows the people, he's an amazing attribute to the Federation.

Opinionated Ol Phart
02-22-2016, 08:22 PM
To the negatives on this board-- tell me who you think is going to stick up for your values and interests if not the BCWF??? Dont like some of the approaches that the few are using? Well-- there is always room for more that are dedicated to trying to make things better for BC outdoors folks-- Attend the convention as a member and let others know how you feel . Its called "Working for the common good" .;)

40incher
02-22-2016, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=Opinionated Ol Phart;1754435) To the negatives on this board-- tell me who you think is going to stick up for your values and interests if not the BCWF??? Dont like some of the approaches that the few are using? Well-- there is always room for more that are dedicated to trying to make things better for BC outdoors folks-- Attend the convention as a member and let others know how you feel . Its called "Working for the common good" .;) [/QUOTE]

The BCWF, in its mandated form, is the only conservation organization in the picture for residents of this province when it come to access for all B.C. resident groups ... be it fishing, hunting, firewood and berry gathering, and true conservation!! The "true" conservation principle is defined as being one individual participant that understands that they we are also are a part of the large ecosystem they live in while protecting it, and while also understanding the part they play in affecting things from the top of the food chain. We do not need to be sidetracked by special-interest factions that do not understand this basic principle of inclusiveness in the hunter/gatherer lifestyle of all B.C. residents.

There is no sense in fighting over semantics at this point.

Attend the BCWF convention ... and don't be afraid to speak your mind as an individual B.C. resident.

Whonnock Boy
08-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Funny how things change when The Dawg starts sniffin' in your back yards. Mind you, Zoa never really did like anyone associated with the BCWF.

We all need to giving a big hand to the Dawg for helping out on this...Dale

No ones feathers are ruffled buudy
your in a race to the bottom ...
Enjoy the ride