PDA

View Full Version : joined BCWF

srupp
07-18-2015, 12:43 PM
W.l rod and gun did not join BCWF..so as one of the longest members of rod and gun..did not rejoin but I did get a singal members BCWF..feel sad..nowhere to shoot..going to woods tomorrow to sight in .270 Thanks Tod Bartell..and .338.
Cheers
Srupp

coach
07-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Good going, Steven. Hopefully more will follow your lead and one day the WL club will get their shit together again.

Whonnock Boy
07-18-2015, 01:49 PM
X2 with Coach. Maybe some communication with the club regarding your departure is in order, and getting some others to do the same will help as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Good decision srupp! Hope others follow your lead.

ruger#1
07-18-2015, 04:44 PM
What took you so long.

srupp
07-18-2015, 07:34 PM
What took you so long.

Hmm hip totaly replaced took a bit to get to the door..bittersweet.moment but I did what I think is in best interest of wildlife not me.
Have already informed vp rod and gun...long time to belong to the club...life at times isnt easy..
Srupp

ruger#1
07-18-2015, 07:55 PM
You always do whats best. That is why you are a great guy. I hope your hip heals up well. And wish you many more hunting seasons.

hillman
07-21-2015, 09:05 AM
I checked the Williams Lake R&G web page. It is very "mickey mouse" with basically no information or details on cost or benefits of being a member. I'm with Srupp in supporting the BCWF. I'd only belong to a BCWF affiliated club.

Do they own the property or is it on public land?

rides bike to work
07-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Nothing wrong with shooting in the bush. I have a great place to shoot in the bush and I put a trail cam on a trail right beside where I shoot so its easy and convieniant to check when I go shooting. Amazing how many animals hang around a shooting range.
bcwf is probably best bang for buck as a voice for wildlife and resident hunters

TPK
07-21-2015, 12:47 PM
The World is run by those that show up. Attending BCWF Region 5 AGM's (which have been held at the Williams Lake Clubhouse for years) always saw the same three - five W.L. members show up, a few from the other clubs and that's it. Now for the folks that come from 100 Mile, Quesnel, Horsefly etc. the drive can be a deterrent, but that is NO EXCUSE for the local Williams Lake members. Some years we couldn't even get a quorum! How sad is that! A club that boasts of over 700 hundred members and only 3-5 can show up to the meeting held at THEIR CLUBHOUSE? There are way more (just my opinion) members of that club that support the BCWF than there are those that don't, but guess which side shows up to vote??

In any event, good on ya srupp for simply joining any way. If you want to attend the convention next year as a voting delegate, get a hold of the Region 5 Pres or VP and make your intentions known. I believe there is one "non-affiliated" voting seat available. Meaning you're a BCWF direct member, not a member via an affiliated club. I was able to get a Williams Lake direct member squared away as a voting delegate a few years back.

PS - The Quesnel Rod and Gun Club has picked a few new members from just South of us ....

LupieHunter
07-21-2015, 04:15 PM
The World is run by those that show up. Attending BCWF Region 5 AGM's (which have been held at the Williams Lake Clubhouse for years) always saw the same three - five W.L. members show up, a few from the other clubs and that's it. Now for the folks that come from 100 Mile, Quesnel, Horsefly etc. the drive can be a deterrent, but that is NO EXCUSE for the local Williams Lake members. Some years we couldn't even get a quorum! How sad is that! A club that boasts of over 700 hundred members and only 3-5 can show up to the meeting held at THEIR CLUBHOUSE? There are way more (just my opinion) members of that club that support the BCWF than there are those that don't, but guess which side shows up to vote??

In any event, good on ya srupp for simply joining any way. If you want to attend the convention next year as a voting delegate, get a hold of the Region 5 Pres or VP and make your intentions known. I believe there is one "non-affiliated" voting seat available. Meaning you're a BCWF direct member, not a member via an affiliated club. I was able to get a Williams Lake direct member squared away as a voting delegate a few years back.

PS - The Quesnel Rod and Gun Club has picked a few new members from just South of us ....

I'm pretty sure 2 bcwf direct members can attend the agm as voting delegates. The office usually sends out some info about the positions in early spring. You also have the option of attending as a non voting delegate as well.

TPK
07-21-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure 2 bcwf direct members can attend the agm as voting delegates. The office usually sends out some info about the positions in early spring. You also have the option of attending as a non voting delegate as well.

That rings a bell, thanks for the info LupieHunter.

srupp
07-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Ya if finances do increase next year with CPP..will be able to do both..but regardless my first choice is BCWF..for what they stand for and what they do..wildlife and BC hunters..
Enjoyed the short drive to the shooting range property they own..

I voted with my wallet..
Steven

TPK
07-22-2015, 09:06 AM
It's unfortunate that infighting is doing so much damage in that club (though they are not alone on this front). The club has an awesome facility and truth be told .... leaving the BCWF has given them the money to make substantial improvements to their range.

I fully support the club (politics aside) and have always made it clear that is the case. When I was BCWF Region 5 Pres. working on the "BCWF" issue with the W.L. folks, I made sure they understood that the issue is with the BCWF and them and that there will be no animosity or ill will between the Quesnel Club and them. We still send shooters to their events and they still come to ours. The "Clubs" actually get along just fine if you leave Politics at the door. In fact they had some of their members up helping us with a range cleanup before our Sporting Clay shoot last weekend, there are a good bunch of folks there.

My hopes are that if a club leaves the BCWF that the people there that believe in and support the BCWF would continue to do so as srup has and simply join as direct members.

There are other clubs that are on the fence with their support for the BCWF. The Lone Butte club has been teetering on the edge of leaving for years. The executive seem to be primarily hand gunners and they don't see the benefits of being a BCWF affiliated club. Like Williams Lake, a hard look at the money spent for BCWF membership vs a different insurance option would mean more money to update their range as W.L. did and that is very attractive to many. Lucky for the BCWF that more pro than con BCWF supporters show up to the meetings there or they would have been gone too, but that discussion continues and one day .. I suspect they too will leave.

I'll tell ya one thing, even in a BCWF stronghold like we have in the Quesnel club where we have seen several Regional Presidents hail from, I would not put money on our club staying in the BCWF if it came to a general vote like what Williams Lake has done .... Many club members in the BCWF affiliated clubs see only the insurance aspect as the benefit of being an affiliated member, and if you strip out the BCWF membership fee and shop insurance options, the club can save a lot of money to use else where as the Williams Lake has done.

srupp
07-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Hmm yes but the prayers at the meetings would get short..." bless us 4 no more , Amen "
We have left, for now period.the club..
Time will tell...
Steven

markomoose
07-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Hey Srupp if your ever up in P.G. bring your favorite rifles and I'll take you to our range as a guest!No Charge just good conversation! Cheers Mark.