PDA

View Full Version : Great day on the flow today

BlacktailStalker
04-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Hit up a northern island river today. First time visiting this river this year and wow, was it great. This river is well known for holding the largest steel on the Island and today was proof of that. The water was a little lower than we hoped and not as coloured as we would have liked, but all in all pretty darn good. We drifted it and only hooked four fish, but landed them all and they were exceptionally large ! I had a hammer 20lb buck scrap for 20+ mins before coming in as well as a chrome bullet of a 10lb doe. My fishing partner landed a beauty 18lb buck and a 15lb doe, both taking well over 10 mins to get in. I didnt take any pictures this time but we did tape the whole thing :) And of course always being in hunting mode, I was blown away by the number of elk and buck rubs as well as other sign on the river. 2 guys in pontoons drifted by a herd of approx a dozen elk bedded on the river bank. When we stopped for a break I ventured into the bush a ways to see if I could come across any elk as it is close to where I put in for my island LEH and I caught several definite whiffs of them but couldnt catch a glimpse of them.
Good steelie fishing still to be had out there !!

thatskindafunny
04-21-2007, 07:03 PM
All and all I would say you had a very good day.

Dirty
04-22-2007, 06:27 PM
any pictures?

steel_ram
04-22-2007, 10:09 PM
I use to drift the Salmon from Big Tree down, this time of year. A pretty unspectacular low gradient river. But boy did we pull some hogs out of there. More often than not we'd see elk.

Wildman
04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Sounds like the Marble River.