PDA

View Full Version : Effective range for crossbows

coaster
12-06-2004, 08:35 PM
What is the effective range for a 60# crossbow ??. Is the 60# good enough for large game ?? Should a person have to pass a proficiency test before they are allowed to use a crossbow. The reasons for my questions are we had a guy who got a LEH bow only here on the Sunshine Coast. He then went out and bought a crossbow and proceeded to wound three elk and on his fourth he had 3 bolts in it before he was allowed to put it down with a rifle. Needless to say there are a lot of pissed of guys over here on the coast...

black 'n blue
12-06-2004, 08:56 PM
I believe the regs say a crossbow of no less than 150 lbs may be allowed for use on elk.

J_T
12-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Black n Blue,

Is the result of that experience a crossbow issue or an educational issue?

IMHO, I think this is one of the major reasons LEH has a negative result on hunting. Turns some people, without required skill or forethought, into something they are not.

JT

claudeb
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I shot an elk with mine its 200 lb he made it 50 ft the range of a crossbow is about the same as regular bow i think the problem is with a good scope and some practice a crossbow, will shoot a good group farther than the effective killing range of any bow

black 'n blue
01-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Jt
You must mean to be addressing Coaster.

Doug
01-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I am not aware of a 60 pound (pull) crossbow manufactured anywhere in North America. The lightest ones are 125, as far as I know. Standard is 150, and as the one chap mentioned , they are up into the 200 lb range now too.

I am a crossbow hunter (legal here in Ontario), and have taken quite a few deer with my bows. Maximum effective range is about 45 yards, but most bow-hunters limit their shots to 30 yards or less. Most of my set-ups aim to put the deer at less than 15 yards in my kill zone, and the only deer I took with the bow this year was a buck at about 12 yards.

Most accomplished compound bow archers can shoot farther and more accurately than most crossbow archers. I believe the reason is the longer and more aerodynamic arrow, compared to the shorter and less aerodynamic crossbow bolt.

Doug