PDA

View Full Version : 1-10 elk leh

B
07-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Hello Everyone! I was hoping for some guidance and advice on 1-10 sec g for bull elk Oct 10 to Nov 20 hoping to set up a blind due to being in a wheelchair. Also a good location to setup a camp. I will be heading out later this month to scout. Feel free to PM. Thanks in advance.

B

elch jager
07-13-2015, 11:09 AM
I used to help a friend get set up in a blind… he was confined to a chair with MD. He only hunted white tail, not elk as it was in southern Ontario… Just a few bits of advice…
Make sure you have optimum sight lines.
Preferably in multiple directions on the highest ground around.
Level the ground and put down a sheet of plywood so you can adjust position as necessary.
Keep the floor free of clutter.
Take note of the prevailing wind direction and try to locate downwind of what you think is the likely approach.
Mask your scent. Don’t piss near your blind. Use bottles if you have to.
Keep silent.
Set up a few rests for your weapon and test them out making sure you can cover the approach(s).

I assume you have full upper body mobility… Eddie was more limited and needed assistance getting his rifle shouldered and into a comfortable firing position. If that is the case – rehearse what you want your assistant to do several times so that you aren’t scrambling and cursing one another at Showtime.

You have my full admiration not letting your chair get in the way of enjoying a hunt. Eddie was very forward in asking for help. Maybe that is another good bit of advice… be bold asking friends to help. Often people will hold back offering for fear of offending with the suggestion that you need help.