PDA

View Full Version : setting up my new rest

Wildfoot
04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I just picked up a phantom drop away rest today. How do i find my nocking point? should I line up the rest flush with the arrow shelf?

interceptor
04-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Wildfoot,

What type of bow are you shooting?

Generally you need to set up your rest so that you can place an arrow on the prongs (assuming you are using prongs :) ) you don't want them too close so that the arrow falls off constantly and you don't want them too wide that the shaft almost falls through them either.

Then you need to adjust the height so that the shaft is level with the burger button (the thread that the rest bolts to), this is done by adjusting the nut or screw that moves your prongs up and down (should be on the bottom of the rest). From that you use a bow square to set your nock point, I normally set mine dead square some blokes like to have them a little low or high :| .

I try and set the rest so that I have a little adjustment both up and down as I feel it is easier to tune your bow by turning a screw rather than moving your nock point up and down on the string (this is done during final tuning of your setup).

After all this you will also want to set your centre shot, this is the left and right adjustment of the rest. I normally just do this by eye, hold the bow at arms length with an arrow on the string keeping the bow square (without twisting the grip) sight through the string, arrow and rest, you then adjust the rest so that the middle of the prongs is basiclly inline with the string and the arrow runs straight through the bow. Don't worry too much if you are out a little as you can remedy this when you tune the bow.

That is probably as clear as mud :lol: . But give it a go and post up if you have any hassles, I am sure we can get you setup without too much heart ache.

Cheers Noel

swamper
04-17-2007, 07:00 AM
When you are setting it up for the nocking point, you have to hold the rest up so that you can line the arrow up with the bolt hole. If you line it up with the rest flush with the shelf when you come to full draw the arrow will be pointing up.
I think that is what you were asking.

Bow Walker
04-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I just picked up a phantom drop away rest today. How do i find my nocking point? should I line up the rest flush with the arrow shelf?
In general - yes for dropaway rests........no for blade type rests or non-dropaway rests.

Drop aways - nockset is level with the rest when it is in up position. The up position should not be "at" or "near" perpendicular, but should be just prior to perpendicular so as to get the maximum fletch clearance.

Blade rests or non-drop aways - the nockset is placed 1/8" high so as to have the arrow exert a slight downward pressure when at full draw. This downward pressure helps keep the arrow on the rest while drawing and at full draw.

OK....OK..............I give up. Who makes the Phantom rest. Also it will help if we knew what bow you're mounting it on.

If possible, post a photo of the rest.

Kirby
04-17-2007, 08:39 AM
give me a call. I'm at home studying all day, if you drop by we can set it up.

Kirby

Wildfoot
04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
thanks everyone. I think i have it set. I dont know what i was thinkin but i had it parrelel to the nock point in the down position lol. It looked real weird and i couldnt figure it out. I need a break from school! my mind is fried haha.

I think I will just shoot it toight, kirby. If it isnt workin then maybe we can look at it tomrrow. Im crammin for my last exam all day today.