PDA

View Full Version : opinions needed

fowl language
05-28-2015, 08:03 AM
there was an idea to have predator hunting programs started through out the province to help hunters with less experience become better at it ,thus help to reduce the amount of predator kills on our dwindling deer, moose, and elk population. it was thought that experienced predator hunters for wolves bear and cougar be hired to put on seminars similar to our resident priority town hall meetings . if there is enough interest ,it would be put forward at our next board meeting. your thoughts....dale

Foxton Gundogs
05-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Great idea. The more hunters we can get out whacking predators the more fawns/calves will live to see another day.

bigredchev
05-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Sounds like a great idea. A lot of people an interest but aren't sure exactly where to jump in for predators especially cats and dogs. I'm sure if you posted some hounds chasing it would be peoples blood pumping.

Rackmastr
05-28-2015, 09:03 AM
No doubt anything that would increase awareness and interest of predator hunting would be a great thing.

With the number of bear hunting opportunities, wolves, coyotes, cats, etc, etc it would be great to have more and more people out there. The 'bump' in interest of trapping that seems to have been happening in the past few years certainly helps or seems to be gaining more steam. The more hunters we can get out there knocking down some predators is great.

Put a black bear in the freezer on the weekend and plan on using my second tag this year as well for the exact purpose of predator mgmt. Great idea to start spreading more info around and making better predator hunters out there!

lange1212
05-28-2015, 09:04 AM
> remove grizzly LEH in remote areas and where's there's no demonstrable conservation concern to promote hunting and harvest opportunities.
> implement in regulation the allowance to use bait for bear hunting. This will allow hunters to be more selective, target specific bears, in particular mature ones that have the highest predatory rate on ungulates.
> Allow for resident trapping opportunities for wolves "only" on vacant or unused trap lines.
> have ungulate enhancement funding for the harvest of wolves be expanded to include resident hunter harvest, and petition the province to contribute funding to this program as well, at least match what supporting NGO,s contribute.
> NBL on wolves province wide
> no closed season on wolves
> Work with the ranching/farming community to allow access to private lands to promote predator management.

Just some ideas, but that said until the Province accepts the seriousness of this issue, what the science tells us and supports, and is willing to help address it we're at a stale mate. The sad state of affairs today is that wildlife management based on a foundation of science has shifted to political, and social management which does not serve the best interests of wildlife, habitat, stakeholders, and the public interest overall.

Wild one
05-28-2015, 09:05 AM
If you are going to encourage predator hunting through a program like this I would highly recommend not just hunting methods but also pelt prep. You will encourage more hunters to target predators if they have a purpose for the animal beyond just predator control. Teaching BC hunter to prep fur for auction and when to target them for prime fur to benefit from it can go a long ways.

adriaticum
05-28-2015, 09:12 AM
Good idea.

fowl language
05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
lange1212, pretty much all your ideas are presently being discussed by the bcwf wildlife committee....dale

M.Dean
05-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Good idea. Heck of a good idea!! Years ago as soon as we got home from work, we'd grab a rifle and a 6 pack, pile into the truck and go coyote or bear hunting! That died out when the pressure was put on the having a beer when driving around hunting thing, can't blame anyone I guess. Even on here there's not a ton of guys that go just predator hunting, so yes, I think it's a great idea! Good luck, and I really hope it works!

Whonnock Boy
05-28-2015, 11:31 AM
I heard we are (bcwf) is short on funds, or at least that is the rumor. What funds we do have, would they be better suited going to the Paa or a program such as this?

Surrey Boy
05-28-2015, 11:53 AM
If you are going to encourage predator hunting through a program like this I would highly recommend not just hunting methods but also pelt prep. You will encourage more hunters to target predators if they have a purpose for the animal beyond just predator control. Teaching BC hunter to prep fur for auction and when to target them for prime fur to benefit from it can go a long ways.

Excellent post.

The Dawg
05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Get people to sign up and partner with Wolftracker.

We've been working with ranchers/hunters/trappers on wolf harvest, sightings/mappings, and predator control on ranches

www.wolftracker.ca

hare_assassin
05-28-2015, 12:29 PM

Excellent point. I'm hesitant to just go blow away yotes for giggles.

Foxton Gundogs
05-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Excellent point. I'm hesitant to just go blow away yotes for giggles.

It's not for giggles, it's called predator control and it's sorely needed.

Apolonius
05-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Agree with all of you and it is an excelent post.Darn it ...i was thinking about it today.Thanks Fowl...you beat me to it.My sugestion to every hunter,take what is legal to take out of predators!!!! If you want to see more game ,go predator hunting.

biggyun68
05-29-2015, 06:49 AM
I agree, good idea - BTW I am signed up on Wolftracker too - it would be a good resource for the program!

Seth
05-29-2015, 04:48 PM
I'd pay to attend a seminar regarding wolf hunting. I keep hearing it's easier than people think but first hand knowledge from someone that does it is unbeatable. Motivation to get out there during the lucrative predator seasons lies in saving ungulates.

HeadingOutside
05-29-2015, 07:36 PM
I'd be curious to see some numbers. I'm sorely uneducated on predator hunting in general. To be honest I don't know if I really want to be going out to shoot coyotes just to shoot coyotes. That's just me personally, if there is a need for this then I have no moral objections. Is there some research or population studies that are available?
-Devon

gmachine19
05-29-2015, 08:03 PM
It would be nice if they included a small talk about eating these predators or how they can be used when killed. I'm not really into trophy hunting...

Whonnock Boy
05-29-2015, 08:05 PM
It is not a "trophy hunt", it is "predator management". You want to fill your freezer? It boils down to harvesting your competition.

It would be nice if they included a small talk about eating these predators or how they can be used when killed. I'm not really into trophy hunting...

Foxton Gundogs
05-29-2015, 08:43 PM
You "eat" the predators by eating the deer/etc that you harvest, the one the dead predators didn't kill. As stated it's not trophy hunting it's predator management. If we all kill deer/elk/moose and nothing kills the predators what do you suppose happens.

Wild one
05-29-2015, 09:11 PM
You "eat" the predators by eating the deer/etc that you harvest, the one the dead predators didn't kill. As stated it's not trophy hunting it's predator management. If we all kill deer/elk/moose and nothing kills the predators what do you suppose happens.

Bear and the cats are good eating well the others hold fur value. Personally I will not kill predators just for the sake of predator control only but I will take these animals for fur or meat depending on the species. I have taken more predators than the average hunter and I make use of them.

Hunters can send fur to auction if the take the time to prepare the fur.

If you want to gain more support for predator hunting it would be wise to promote how hunters can utilize these predators. Yes, predator management is a good thing but utilizing the animals you kill is as well in my opinion.

Foxton Gundogs
05-30-2015, 06:24 AM
Bear and the cats are good eating well the others hold fur value. Personally I will not kill predators just for the sake of predator control only but I will take these animals for fur or meat depending on the species. I have taken more predators than the average hunter and I make use of them.

Hunters can send fur to auction if the take the time to prepare the fur.

If you want to gain more support for predator hunting it would be wise to promote how hunters can utilize these predators. Yes, predator management is a good thing but utilizing the animals you kill is as well in my opinion.

You are right cougar, bobcat and bear are great table fare but fur is not always marketable but certain predators can and should still taken in non prime fur season. Humans are part of the balance of nature and youtes and wolves especially need to be taken for control sake it's not only game animals at risk but also domestic as well. Spending some time on the ranch would educate those that think otherwise. Perhaps a speaker from the agriculture industry would help to make the point.

fowl language
05-30-2015, 07:26 AM
just to go further from what foxton said, there is a certain part of the province that call this their ungulate enhancement program and are paying a bounty on wolves. in the past the trapper,s assoc. and the bcwf and the guide,s used to offer a reward. I hope this program will be re instated for years to come. should we chose to ignore this problem our leh odds will definitely increase for sure...dale

HeadingOutside
05-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Some of you are saying that there needs to be this hunt how important it is but we have glossed over the question I asked on the previous page... Is there some literature or population numbers that can give an idea of the big picture necessity of the hunt? I'm all for hunting and I don't really have an issue with population control but I don't like killing for the sake of killing so let's see some proof of the necessity boys and girls.

Whonnock Boy
05-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Here are some of the presentations at the BCWF AGM last month. The numbers are not specifically pointed out region by region, but I believe you will get the point.

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM2015/Presentations/Factors%20Affecting%20Moose%20Population%20Change% 20in%20Central%20BC%20-%20Gerry%20Kuzyk.pdf

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM2015/Presentations/Kootenay%20Mule%20Deer%20Research%20Project%20-%20Patrick%20Stent.pdf

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM2015/Presentations/MULTI-PREDATOR%20MULTI-PREY%20SYSTEMS%20IN%20THE%20ROCKY%20MOUNTAINS%20-%20Bob%20Jamieson.pdf

Some of you are saying that there needs to be this hunt how important it is but we have glossed over the question I asked on the previous page... Is there some literature or population numbers that can give an idea of the big picture necessity of the hunt? I'm all for hunting and I don't really have an issue with population control but I don't like killing for the sake of killing so let's see some proof of the necessity boys and girls.

Wild one
05-30-2015, 09:47 AM
You are right cougar, bobcat and bear are great table fare but fur is not always marketable but certain predators can and should still taken in non prime fur season. Humans are part of the balance of nature and youtes and wolves especially need to be taken for control sake it's not only game animals at risk but also domestic as well. Spending some time on the ranch would educate those that think otherwise. Perhaps a speaker from the agriculture industry would help to make the point.

Not against predator control but you will find a good portion of hunters who will not take predators to only toss them away.

What I am stating is if you want to see increased efforts from hunters you need to educate on how to use predators after harvest. We have seen an increase in bear hunting because of more hunters being educated in-regards to bear meat. Educating hunters about putting up fur for auction has the possibility of increasing the number of hunters who target them as well. This would help gain interest from hunters who have a moral dilemma over killing predators for no other reason then predator control.

Coyote hunting for example is way more common in Alberta, Sask, and Manitoba because many pred hunters put up their fur for auction. This helps fund there pred hunting and at times adds a few extra $ in there pocket.

Give hunters reasons beyond just pred control and odds are you will see a higher number of those willing to target preds. They may only want to target coyote/wolf during prime fur time but this is better than not at all.

Think big picture on how to increase pred harvest not just pushing a personal view of why you would take predators. I have no issue with those taking preds for management reasons only but there are many who will not my self included.

I do my fair share of damage to pred numbers with just meat and fur in mind. Good chance I have taken more in 1 winter trapping than the average hunter does in his life. Know coyote hunters who do the same in just 1 winter as well. We may only come out in the winter but do so with results.

Smart promotion of pred hunting with the use of multiple reasons will get you far greater results.

gmachine19
05-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Not against predator control but you will find a good portion of hunters who will not take predators to only toss them away.

What I am stating is if you want to see increased efforts from hunters you need to educate on how to use predators after harvest. We have seen an increase in bear hunting because of more hunters being educated in-regards to bear meat. Educating hunters about putting up fur for auction has the possibility of increasing the number of hunters who target them as well. This would help gain interest from hunters who have a moral dilemma over killing predators for no other reason then predator control.

Coyote hunting for example is way more common in Alberta, Sask, and Manitoba because many pred hunters put up their fur for auction. This helps fund there pred hunting and at times adds a few extra $ in there pocket.

Give hunters reasons beyond just pred control and odds are you will see a higher number of those willing to target preds. They may only want to target coyote/wolf during prime fur time but this is better than not at all.

Think big picture on how to increase pred harvest not just pushing a personal view of why you would take predators. I have no issue with those taking preds for management reasons only but there are many who will not my self included.

I do my fair share of damage to pred numbers with just meat and fur in mind. Good chance I have taken more in 1 winter trapping than the average hunter does in his life. Know coyote hunters who do the same in just 1 winter as well. We may only come out in the winter but do so with results.

Smart promotion of pred hunting with the use of multiple reasons will get you far greater results.

This very well worded post right here hits the nail in the head. Thanks for this one!

fowl language
05-30-2015, 12:55 PM
if you would like to go to the delta waterfowl website there is asection on how they did predation on 1 square mile of nesting grounds as opposed to another square mile close by that there was no predator control. you will be impressed with the difference..dale

FirePower
05-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Mr. Language, I believe that there are some with whom you will never drive the point of predator control as it pertains to game management home. They want to hunt ungulates for meat but don't want to accept the fact that there must be some form of management to keep game animal numbers at a harvestable level. If there had to be a reason or taking wolves and coyotes apart from their control for management of the ungulate herds, why would they allow, no, encourage, hunting them all year round, even when their pelts are of no use or value.

fowl language
05-30-2015, 07:31 PM
I guess another question that might be asked, most hunters have a spot that has been productive in the past so they return there. ask your self if you saw as much game as before, simple....wolf tracks huh

bearvalley
05-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Wildlife managers in this province realize predator numbers are at a level where hunting and trapping will not provide the correction needed to achieve balance fast enough . Bears can be reduced by hunting, wolves are another matter. The stumbling block is worrying about "the social license concern" if the province does what should be done to drop predator populations to a manageable level. A look through some of the previous posts show how true this is. The start of growing more wildlife is a widespread predator reduction program based on ungulate enhancement and livestock protection. If we want to carry on down the path of "I only shoot what I eat" the day will come soon that we don't hunt.
I respect wolves for being the apex predator that they are but it's never bothered me to shoot one and the urge has never come to put one on a plate.

FirePower
05-31-2015, 08:44 AM
Wildlife managers in this province realize predator numbers are at a level where hunting and trapping will not provide the correction needed to achieve balance fast enough . Bears can be reduced by hunting, wolves are another matter. The stumbling block is worrying about "the social license concern" if the province does what should be done to drop predator populations to a manageable level. A look through some of the previous posts show how true this is. The start of growing more wildlife is a widespread predator reduction program based on ungulate enhancement and livestock protection. If we want to carry on down the path of "I only shoot what I eat" the day will come soon that we don't hunt.
I respect wolves for being the apex predator that they are but it's never bothered me to shoot one and the urge has never come to put one on a plate.

Excellent post sir.

biggyun68
05-31-2015, 02:23 PM
As a nubby hunter from urbania I was of the mind set that it is noble to share the game with the wolf or cougar I guess.

My first step to accepting and then embracing predator hunting was on this forum where a couple of posts and then PM's told me how predator hunting makes you a better ungulate hunter. (No thine enemy no thine self so to speak)

Next I actually tasted; Grizzly Bear, Cougar and Bobcat... and it was delicious:

Then I saw wolves are not the conservationist hunters you are taught in grade school they do wound and they do kill for other reasons than eating:

I have never had a problem with killing coyotes... they are an invasive species and pose real threats to humans through danger to us, our pets, and our children: The may not kill humans on this coast but they do kill humans on the east coast!

Lastly I spoke with farmers and their concerns with predators and the appreciation they show to hunters willing to come out of season to put the fear
into the local Coyotes and wolf populations around their farms.

So in a nut shell it is all about education which is what Ol'Fowl is trying to do

fowl language
05-31-2015, 04:23 PM
ol fowl,i will check with jim but I believe this is another demerit point...d

HeadingOutside
06-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Here are some of the presentations at the BCWF AGM last month. The numbers are not specifically pointed out region by region, but I believe you will get the point.

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM2015/Presentations/Factors%20Affecting%20Moose%20Population%20Change% 20in%20Central%20BC%20-%20Gerry%20Kuzyk.pdf

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM2015/Presentations/Kootenay%20Mule%20Deer%20Research%20Project%20-%20Patrick%20Stent.pdf

http://bcwf.net/images/stories/AGM2015/Presentations/MULTI-PREDATOR%20MULTI-PREY%20SYSTEMS%20IN%20THE%20ROCKY%20MOUNTAINS%20-%20Bob%20Jamieson.pdf

thank you for this. Very good information, particularly the last link.